Standard duty brakes upgrade to heavy duty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Standard duty brakes upgrade to heavy duty

rageq3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone!
Can anyone please help me to figure out what are the required parts I had to change to upgrade from standard duty brakes (325 mm OD) to heavy duty brakes(352 mm OD)?
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely have to change calipers. I bought standard pads (front) by mistake for our 2014 Ex with towing package and the pads were significantly different. When you buy rotors there are two sizes available so I would assume that is also one of the differences. If the hvy duty rotors are larger the hubs might be different, you could check that by looking at the components at RockAuto or other part website. Definitely need calipers, perhaps bracket that hold caliper etc. Why do you want to make the change?

Hello everyone!
Can anyone please help me to figure out what are the required parts I had to change to upgrade from standard duty brakes (325 mm OD) to heavy duty brakes(352 mm OD)?
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked to see if you have the standard brakes? 2013 models built after, I believe after Dec. 11, 2012, all have the HD brakes.

Peter

Why do you want to make the change?
I want to make a change since I like the active style of driving and often use brakes. It is very important for me to have as short braking distance as possible. With SD brakes the rotor gets overheated very quickly since it has a smaller diameter compared to HD. As far as I concerned the HD brakes\rotors made by Power Stop are much better and provide much better performance and shorter braking distance, they don't get overheated so quickly. Currently, I am having a vibration when I am braking, feels it on the wheel... The rotors get wobbly... So it's definitely a time for an upgrade.

Have you checked to see if you have the standard brakes? 2013 models built after, I believe after Dec. 11, 2013, all have the HD brakes.

My car was manufactured in March 2013. Pretty sure I have 325 mm OD rotors. I will check this in Ford Microcat software soon.

I upgraded mine myself a while back and the links below show all the parts needed. Huge improvement in braking and no more warped rotors!!! One note, find the police interceptor calipers instead as they have a higher heat resistant sillicone in the calipers. I left a comment in the reviews in the links below that lists that out.

I ordered most from livernois and found some parts cheaper on ebay but hopefully this parts list helps you out.

Ford Explorer Sport Brake Upgrade Kit -- Front Set (Part No: EXPLSPRTFRTBRK)

Ford Explorer Sport Brake Upgrade Kit -- Rear Set (Part No: EXPLSPRTREARBRK)

Before you spend big money give Wagner OEx brake pads a try.,a set is only about $30 from RockAuto. These pads provides significantly shorter stopping distances, 50' from 60 mph. They also reduce rotor wear and generate less dust.

Before you spend big money give Wagner OEx brake pads a try.,a set is only about $30 from RockAuto. These pads provides significantly shorter stopping distances, 50' from 60 mph. They also reduce rotor wear and generate less dust.

It may be 50' shorter than totally worn brakes(metal on metal), but not compared to new factory brakes.
Braking distance with the standard brakes is around 120', which isn't bad for a big vehicle.
That is a one time stop, so the Wagners may provide better performance after multiple stops.

My car was manufactured in March 2013. Pretty sure I have 325 mm OD rotors. I will check this in Ford Microcat software soon.
In that case you should have the HD brakes.

Peter

Now I am confused whether I have standard brakes or HD... I tried to look in Microcat software but it doesn't show for sure, just show up two options... Is there a good way to determine whether I have SD or HD brakes (other than unmounting the wheel and measuring a rotor with a ruler)?

Now I am confused whether I have standard brakes or HD... I tried to look in Microcat software but it doesn't show for sure, just show up two options... Is there a good way to determine whether I have SD or HD brakes (other than unmounting the wheel and measuring a rotor with a ruler)?
see this post; Wrong Brakes

Peter

It was a 'mid year' change, that went into effect in December of 2012. If yours was built then or later, it has the HD brakes.

Standard rear rotor:

f8f23332e4b4417530418a89e635e20e.jpg

HD Rear Rotor:

DG1Z2C026A.jpg

It was a 'mid year' change, that went into effect in December of 2012. If yours was built then or later, it has the HD brakes.

This is quite helpful though since my car was assembled in Russia (March 2013) I suppose there might be a delay compared to the US built cars... So if I had an HD rear brakes then the front are HD as well, right?

This is quite helpful though since my car was assembled in Russia (March 2013) I suppose there might be a delay compared to the US built cars... So if I had an HD rear brakes then the front are HD as well, right?

Yes. Easiest way to tell is to look at the rear rotors. If they match the pics I posted, that will tell you which you have.

finally figured it out - I have HD brakes :)

А пес их душу знает, что там Соллерс собирает...

А пес их душу знает, что там Соллерс собирает...
And the dog knows what Sollers is collecting .:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the dog knows what Sollers is collecting .:dunno:

Close. Ford's partner in Russia is a company called Sollers. The word that google translated for you as "collecting" in Russian also means "assembling". What I actually said was "dog only knows what Sollers is assembling over there" in reference to SD/HD brakes. It's a colloquial phrase.

Back