My 93 Explorer apparently has no idler pulley? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 93 Explorer apparently has no idler pulley?

I've never seen a '93 with a tensioner up there. Much less a tensioner of that style.

Leave it to Ford to do that. I wonder what the build date is on your truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those with the tensioner on top.... be happy! The bottom tensioner design, at least the way mine is laid out is a PITA. I can't get a full wrench swing on it because there are trans cooler lines in the way.

My 93 is a manual. I wonder if that is the difference, auto had a slightly different layout...

Tensioner is up top

I noticed yours is also a Sport, a 93, and a 4x4 like mine, but yours is automatic and mine is manual. So the transmission isn't the differentiating factor. Which makes sense. You'd expect it to be something in the engine bay or directly under.

Yah I’m not sure why the different setups. Makes me wonder what was going on at the Ford Factory haha. Maybe it depends on where it was built??

Mines also a bit different with the engine because it’s a California smog model. So it’s a 93 but has the same emissions stuff as every 94...

For those with the tensioner on top.... be happy! The bottom tensioner design, at least the way mine is laid out is a PITA. I can't get a full wrench swing on it because there are trans cooler lines in the way.

Yep I've run into that problem many times. Usually I can move it just enough to slip the belt off... another thing I have done is put a cinder block under the truck and use it to hold the wrench in place while I slip off the belt.

Definitely jealous of you tensioner-on-top guys. Maybe I can do a retrofit? :)

Yah I’m not sure why the different setups. Makes me wonder what was going on at the Ford Factory haha. Maybe it depends on where it was built??

My 94 was built in 11/93 at Louisville, KY plant if I'm remembering right. Been a while since I looked at my VIN

I'll toss mine into the ring...

'93 model (Apr 21, 1993 build date)
California "smog" model (not necessarily happy about that...)
Automatic
Tensioner is on top.

I looked up my vin, apparently my 1993 was built in Louisville Kentucky.

Back