How to turn-off all lights with tailgate open? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to turn-off all lights with tailgate open?

how do I turn the interior lights off while the trunk part is open for being at the drive ins? I have a 2015 Ford Explorer xlt.
Welcome to the Forum Jen.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the useful 'Search' feature (upper right).
Simple answer is that you can't. The only way they will turn off is after 10 minutes when the power saver feature kicks in. If you then open any door then they will come on again. You can perhaps get the "Dark Car" feature enabled by your dealer and that prevents the lights from coming on but that will keep them off any time you open a door.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do I turn the interior lights off while the trunk part is open for being at the drive ins? I have a 2015 Ford Explorer xlt.
Turn the latch itself manually 2 turns that will trigger the light sensor into thinking the door is closed but before closing the hatch pull the handle for opening the door so the latch goes back to open or you take the chance of slamming the latch and damaging it... Take care

I read this forum and decided to take it into my own hands!
1. I have the car on and running.
2. I have the hatch opened completely
3. I turned the hatch latch two clicks until it can't go any further.
4. I lowered the hatch slowly, at about halfway down the lights on the outside of the hatch door cut off, and about 7/8 of the way down without touching it to the bottom the lights dimmed and turned off.
5. I pulled the hatch back open very slowly and they stayed off..

I haven't tried cutting the car off or into auxiliary mode yet, I'm not sure what it will do then, but I'm at a drive in and I am content with keeping the car running while the radio plays the movie..

I read this forum and decided to take it into my own hands!
1. I have the car on and running.
2. I have the hatch opened completely
3. I turned the hatch latch two clicks until it can't go any further.
4. I lowered the hatch slowly, at about halfway down the lights on the outside of the hatch door cut off, and about 7/8 of the way down without touching it to the bottom the lights dimmed and turned off.
5. I pulled the hatch back open very slowly and they stayed off..

I haven't tried cutting the car off or into auxiliary mode yet, I'm not sure what it will do then, but I'm at a drive in and I am content with keeping the car running while the radio plays the movie..
While that may work the problem is if any door is opened the lights will come on again. Also, after clicking the latch twice, can you still simply close it fully?
Please complete your registration by adding the 'required' "Trim Level" to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can at times be very useful info to have. Thanks.

Peter

Just bought a 2017 Limited. We travel to Pennsylvania a lot, while there we enjoy catching a movie at the Drive Inn. My question, How do you shut off all lights, to include the dash lights as well. Need total black out. I know how to shut off the main lights, I think I can shut off the running lights? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Just bought a 2017 Limited. We travel to Pennsylvania a lot, while there we enjoy catching a movie at the Drive Inn. My question, How do you shut off all lights, to include the dash lights as well. Need total black out. I know how to shut off the main lights, I think I can shut off the running lights? Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Welcome to the Forum Keith.:wave:
I've moved your thread to this one on the same issue.
I'm guessing that you may have a door open during this time? Otherwise all lights would be off. As you can see in this thread, it isn't possible to do what you want without doing some software changes.

Peter

C177401F-0091-457E-9BE1-8FDE9D1687FF.jpeg
DB9FD6B3-DDFB-442F-9903-59D9E1EBD622.jpeg
BD9A1552-D1EE-47EA-BF5A-7114374E4AC9.jpeg

Best Answer
1. Open the hatch
2. push a Carabiner or large key ring into the hatch latch on the lift gate to push the mechanism into the locking position (push upwards) to make the car think the lift gate is closed. **The latch may click once, keep pushing upwards for a second latch until completely latched.

The lights will fade out after 30 seconds just like they do when they time out. After your done to get the Carabiner or key ring out, I pushed the open/closed button on my key fob or inside the car and they hatch latch released.

Also another tip*** I have a 2016 Ford Explorer and while at the drive in the radio turns off after it timed out. To turn it back on without turning the interior lights on, just press the circle radio volume button (in the middle) and the radio will come back on.

I did a mod for this. Our family also goes to the drive-in movies and the kids camp out in the back with the tailgate up. I tried the rear latch trick, but it was messy(greasy) and unreliable for us.

This mod basically introduces a new switch that "pulls" the fuse for the overhead lights and includes the accent lights that are on that circuit.

Pictures, explained:

Step 1: Manufacture two terminals that can replace the two terminals from the removal of a fuse in the fuse block. Sorry I can't remember the number, but there's a picture to show which one(2013 model).
s1.jpg

Step 2: The target fuse location
s2.jpg

Step 3: One wire loaded in
s3.jpg

Step 4: Remove this panel if you want to put a switch in the blank spot.
s4.jpg

Step 5: New switch from Parts Express
s5.jpg

Step 6: Both wires loaded in.
s6.jpg

Step 7: The existing fuse is now relocated in this fuse holder Fuse holder also from Parts Express
s7.jpg

Step 8: Switch mounted!
s8.jpg

Not sure if they are still offered, but these taps were a nice/easy way to make a circuit switched - remove fuse, add this tap plus switch and inline fuse and you were GTG without any soldering.

FTM-01_lg.jpg

Not sure if they are still offered, but these taps were a nice/easy way to make a circuit switched - remove fuse, add this tap plus switch and inline fuse and you were GTG without any soldering.
Those things look great. Where did you find them?

Back