My Platinum Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The wheels on your Platinum don't look like they're stock. You also seem to be sporting Brembo style brakes. Are those your winter wheels / tires and if so, what could one expect to pay for something like them? Do you have a picture of the powder coated stock wheels? Thanks!

Stock wheels powder coated.
IMG_0430.JPG

As for my current wheels, they're Velgen VMB6 20"x10.5" 45mm off set. $1950 plus shipping but Velgen sold it to me for $1750 including shipping.

As for the tires, they're Yokohama Parada Specx 295/45R tires. About $550 for a set of 4. I hope this helps?

Brakes are stock. I had the calipers painted red with G2 Caliper Paint. I'm still looking for performance brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did Top Coverage charge for powder coat? Looks like you ended up buying new wheels anyway :)

What did Top Coverage charge for powder coat? Looks like you ended up buying new wheels anyway :)

$160 per wheel when I had my original stock wheels powder-coated. When I had these re-done, they changed me $140 per wheel.

So I shot this today for all of you wondering about the tone/sound difference with my Borla S-Type Cat-Exhaust several weeks later.
Facts:
- I've driven over 2K miles since the install 3 weeks ago.
- I recognize the control areas are different with one being in the complete outdoors and one in an open garage.
- Control areas are in a fairly quiet area.
I'll take another video another 3-4 weeks and another 2K - 3K later as well as a drive around inside the cabin and outside the cabin.
I hope you enjoy!

I think your next step would be to upgrade the factory speakers and run a couple amps under the seats! With a sound dampening treatment to the outer shell, from the inside on each of the 4 doors, you can get your boom on without rattling the doors off the vehicle, or just clean up the sound stage. That's the current project on my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. BTW - Love the Borla sound. I run Borla on my 2000 Camaro SS and you can't beat it. Never hurts to have stainless steel all the way back from the cats. Can't tell from your YouTube video, but does Borla on the 3.5L sound anything like a Honda or what you'd expect in 4-banger import? My Explorer is the Twin-Turbo and although yours is a Platinum edition, I could swear I heard the Twin Turbo whistle along with that exhaust. Platinum is the straight 3.5L without the turbos, right?

Obi - Platinum has the 3.5 twin turbo (EcoBoost 3.5)

OMG... The only reason I didn't go with the Platinum is because CarMax sold me the idea that you get Luxury or Twin-Turbo, but not the best of both worlds. I would have 100% gone Platinum. Live and learn. Thanks for the insight Zinc!

OMG... The only reason I didn't go with the Platinum is because CarMax sold me the idea that you get Luxury or Twin-Turbo, but not the best of both worlds. I would have 100% gone Platinum. Live and learn. Thanks for the insight Zinc!
If its any consolation, the Platinum trim only came out in 2016.

Peter

Nothing wrong with the Sport, Obi. As Peter mentioned, the Platinum trim wasn't introduced until 2016 and prior to that , the Sport was the top trim level. So, you got the top trim for your model year.

Platinum trim wasn't introduced until 2016 and prior to that , the Sport was the top trim level. So, you got the top trim for your model year.
This subject was discussed before and I believe the Limited was the top trim level with the most options. :) It's just that the Sport had the 3.5 Ecoboost but was not available with all options.

Peter

This subject was discussed before and I believe the Limited was the top trim level with the most options. :) It's just that the Sport had the 3.5 Ecoboost but was not available with all options.

Peter

the twin turbo makes it the top trim level. :dpchug:

the twin turbo makes it the top trim level. :dpchug:
That was part of the argument, but if you go by price and options, the Limited won out.

So I shot this today for all of you wondering about the tone/sound difference with my Borla S-Type Cat-Exhaust several weeks later.
Facts:
- I've driven over 2K miles since the install 3 weeks ago.
- I recognize the control areas are different with one being in the complete outdoors and one in an open garage.
- Control areas are in a fairly quiet area.
I'll take another video another 3-4 weeks and another 2K - 3K later as well as a drive around inside the cabin and outside the cabin.
I hope you enjoy!

I love that Cam Lope sound rolling along at idle! Your ride looks truly Bad-Azz! With The University of Georgia being my Alma Mater... how could I NOT love that color scheme?

I just tuned my 15' ExSport with an SSI 93-Octane Tune. It's running the Tune only right now, no 3-Bar MAP, stock thermostat, stock plugs... and I have to say since I installed it 5 days ago I've noticed it getting more and more "in-tune" that translates into harder pulling performance each and everyday. It's like it is learning & adjusting for optimum HP & Torque! I'm strongly considering the Borla Exhaust System over their competition... Especially after watching your YouTube clip above. I'll be needing that 3-Bar MAP after the Borla Exhaust System swap from all that I've read & researched. Thanks again for sharing and making my choice easier!

I love that Cam Lope sound rolling along at idle! Your ride looks truly Bad-Azz! With The University of Georgia being my Alma Mater... how could I NOT love that color scheme?

I just tuned my 15' ExSport with an SSI 93-Octane Tune. It's running the Tune only right now, no 3-Bar MAP, stock thermostat, stock plugs... and I have to say since I installed it 5 days ago I've noticed it getting more and more "in-tune" that translates into harder pulling performance each and everyday. It's like it is learning & adjusting for optimum HP & Torque! I'm strongly considering the Borla Exhaust System over their competition... Especially after watching your YouTube clip above. I'll be needing that 3-Bar MAP after the Borla Exhaust System swap from all that I've read & researched. Thanks again for sharing and making my choice easier!

LOL. Thanks, man! The tune makes a difference. Another guys has the record for quarter mile in Canada and NA for that matter with SSI.

Enjoyed the turbo sound spooling up and down.

Enjoyed the turbo sound spooling up and down.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I see it took a while for your first post.;)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I see it took a while for your first post.;)

Peter

Haha, yeh registered when I bought a 2015 Explorer Sport. Sold it a year later due to travel. Missed it so bought a 2018 a few weeks back.

Back