Building a 4.0 OHV for power | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building a 4.0 OHV for power

Well, with the 5.0's, its real easy to get some serious performance for the moolah you plan on spending. 1" phanolic spacer for a little for torque, 1.7 full roller rockers instead of stock stamped 1.6's. TMH's, high flo cats, maybe a custom tune from Henderson. If worse comes to worse you can always use Mustang parts that are very available, electric fan, larger fuel injectors. I have thought of seeing if the Henderson guy could get my ECU to work with a Mustang Supercharger. Not to mention the noted reliability of the 5.0's. All I need right now with stock injectors to get 300HP, is a tune! I have only small mods to it now and could get that easy! Not trying to dog you, but, these days it seems people will break their backs and their bank accounts to be "different". I could only imagine if I did higher compression pistons or decked the heads .030, or a E303 cam. But, if trying something like the 4.0 gets you doing back flips.. GO FOR IT! and have fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate all the input. Keep it comein! I want this to be done right and last a long time under basic use and occaisional horse play. I also need to know about the exhaust.. I know if i lose the cats it messes with the computer... whats the best route for best flow?

I want to start piling up the parts so when I get time I can build this sucker lol

Sorry Junky, I just now noticed your reply..

I think 95 was a 4r55 Trans...

But 95 was weird year for the changes....still OBD-I...but alot of OBD-II wiring..

Ryan

4r55 sounds more like it.. has anyone ever put a built 4.0 in front of one of those? I know it will need some beef but how does it do under accelleration?

p0401 is usually for a restricted egr flow or something of the sort and p0455 i think is related to an evep leak, check gas cap and evap lines for broken hoses. should find more info under the search bar :)

i change all the evap hose i put new gas cap new egr valve and egr sensor and all new three new oxygen sensor full tune up i new new evap under battery that one was a pain in the ass

Bump

I am excited about this again! Coming up with more spare time latly :D

Bump

I am excited about this again! Coming up with more spare time latly :D

man i forgot about this thread! have you made any progress and or ordered any parts??

man i forgot about this thread! have you made any progress and or ordered any parts??

Not yet, but I plan on starting to take the Ranger apart ang getting it ready for its new mill. I just moved so I need to find a good machine shop in the area.

any update on this?!?!?! im looking at picking up a 4x4 ranger with 3.73 gears, limited slip axles, 33" tires, 6" lift, and the beloved 4.0 OHV, oh, and its the 5spd manual.
and i want to build some power out of the engine.
and by some im thinking 450lb-ft and 300~hp.
i have a t3/t4 garret turbocharger already that would go great in the truck with a set of hedman headers im looking @ for only 320$ on summit racing.
dont want to race, just want to be able to move at will with those 33" tires.

Love live the pushrod 4.0!

95 uses the 4r55e which is slightly better then an A4LD but only used behind the 4.0 in 95 and 96
I would look to upgrade to a 96+ OHV computer and 5r55e, the wiring in the 95 truck will accept this.

Long ago I swapped out my 2.9L for a 4.0L pushrod and a mazda 5 speed, then a few years later I went to a built A4LD, then blew up two of those. Before going to a supercharged 4.0L and I decided my money was better spent on the 302.
I still do alot of 4.0 conversions into Rangers to keep them on the road.
the A4LD and 4r55e can be built up internally using upgrade parts from the later 5r's but I still don't like them.
300 Hp + A4LD = not best investment you ever made.
Better off with a M5OD-HD or 5r55e auto, heck even a C4/C5 auto with only 3 speeds would be a better choice behind a 300 HP pushrod
300 Hp pushrod 4.0 = $$$$$

Have fun!!!!!
4.0L in a 84 Ranger is like the way Ford should have made them, the 2.8 and 2.9L were destined to be in a car... the 4.0L finally makes all its torque down low which is what a mini truck needs

i was planning on getting closer to the 300-400hp mark with the 5spd m50d-hd >:)

heavy duty stage 3 ported,polished + flowed heads, oversized valves, custom cam, 4.3L stroker crank (forged) + forged rods + forged lightweight pistons
and of course, turbocharger.
got a 15k budget planned for it.

heavy duty stage 3 ported,polished + flowed heads, oversized valves, custom cam, 4.3L stroker crank (forged) + forged rods + forged lightweight pistons
and of course, turbocharger.
got a 15k budget planned for it.
O i know the power could be made..i was referring to the M5 being able to handle it..i blew one about every 3 months..i have gone to a custom T5 now and just blew it up..

O dont buy Toms parts..they are crap...also stay stock stroke ,the 4.0 has already been stroked to its max..aslo they dont make a forged crank, rods or pistons for the 4.0 its all custom and noone will make a custom forged crank...the trash Tom sells is that,TRASH..

Lastly it will take ALL 15K to make close too 400rwhp..personally id advise against it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

custom work is my specialty.
i have a machine shop that will gladly make me fully forged everything for the 4.0, and i could even get a blueprinted billet block made up if i cared for it.
and yeah, **** tom, i built a 3.0 with his parts and ended up blowing the heads off around the 250hp mark...really dissapointed in that one. got another 3.0 after that, strapped a m90 to the top making 3psi of boost and a t3/t4 feding the m90 making 4psi, made 305hp at the crank and daily drove it for 4 years no problems. (behind a police SHO transmission)
im never going back to an automatic transmission again for a truck, just **** that.

i'll make my own thread when i get closer to getting the truck and starting the build

im not specifically looking for horsepower. i want alot of low end torque. i'll be rev limiting it to about 4200rpm's just to give it a fighting chance.
i want to make minimum 300lb-ft of torque out of it N/A
if i wanted to make power out of the ranger i could buy a built 5.3 from my neighbor for 650$, but personally i'd never put a chevy motor in a ford
i could buy a 5.4 lightning engine + trans off him for 2500 but i'd like to get some power out of the 4.0. realistically speaking if i got 250-270hp and 290-310lb-ft out of it N/A i'd be perfectly happy.

Back