Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer?

My wife has had a 2014 and a 2016.

We looked at EVERYTHING else. (that can tow our boat) Escalade, Tahoe, Burbans, Last gen Expedition, new gen Expedition, F150s, Raptors...

Ended up with... a 2018 Explorer. She's consistent it seems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife absolutely LOVES her 2016 Platinum. I also LOVE the vehicle. The thing is faster than my Cadillac STS with the Northstar V8. She is at approx 81K miles and outside of people putting door dings in it, it has had zero issues. Didn't even do the exhaust recall.

I also love my 16 Platinum with zero issues to date at a little over 30K miles. It is my opinion you should get the exhaust recall performed. This is based on a conversation with my local Shop Manager. I told him I have had no issues with exhaust gases but he told me to get the recall performed, because Ford has had some issues at high altitudes. He said even if I don't plan to drive in high altitudes, the person I someday sell my Ex to might.

While I do keep my foot in the accelerator, I very seldom take the motor to WOT. This motor, as you know, gets up to 80-90 from in a hurry, merging into traffic if you don't watch it.

Have had our '16 XLT with the 2.3L eco for almost a month. It was a lease, then was certified with 24,000 miles on it. Got the extended warranty. So far, had to have the broken glove box replaced, and the seat hooks. Other than that, really like this car. Came from a 2010 Edge, which was a durable car. Also have an '05 Expedition, and had an '02 Mountaineer before that. One thing I like is the get up and go this thing has. Especially if you put it in sport mode when you need to pass or merge. It's got more getup than my '91 mustang GT had.

I didn't realize others had the glove-box issue (guess I'll take mine in...) and honestly that's the only real "thing" about my Limited (other than I failed to test drive the 3.5 turbo) that prevents me from "loving it" ...

I'll throw my hat in the ring to loving my Explorer. The only issue I have had was the back-up camera got really fuzzy and had to be replaced (warranty) . Other then that, it has been a great vehicle. Just inherited a 2015 F-150 Lariat. Great truck, but the EX is still my vehicle of choice. Drove a '94 Ranger before the Explorer and went with the EX after driving a lot other rental SUV's through work (Hyundai Santa fa, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, just to name a few). My experience with the Explorer's has been good all around in comparison to ride, handling, comfort and fuel mileage. It's not a perfect vehicle by any means, the ingress/egress could be better, but anytime I drive something else, I am always glad to get back to my Explorer. That's just me though....

I have to say that I do love this Explorer more than I ever thought I would, as this was the wifes pick, however it has been a great car and my wife loves it even more now that I converted to middle row bucket seats.

That being said, I would love to have Yukon or 2018 Expedition, as the MPG is not much worse and there is so much more space. But then again, I am used to driving a truck, so that maybe why I prefer bigger truck based SUV's.

The wife loves the size of the Explorer and has no interest in a bigger SUV, so I think we will have the Explorer for a while.

I absolutely love my 15 Explorer Sport. Sure there are a couple imperfections to my wants so to speak... but not really Flaws. I have had a battery issue early on but I think that was my fault. But dealer replaced it. I had a bad strut in the rear hatch ( dealer took care of ) oh and a noisy belt.. LOVE this dang Truck!.. trouble is I love driving it but want to preserve it as long as I can.. kinda a catch 22 so to speak.

'18 here with about 400 miles. I like it. I can't say I love it yet. No problems with it but the more I look the more I see that is cheaply built.

When the finance guy at the dealership started the full court press on the extended warranty and how much things cost to fix, I was about to get up and walk out. I'm still wondering if I made the right decision. The cost of some of the things that might need to be repaired down the road has me a bit terrified. $2000 for the sync shtuff. $1200 for a headlight assy? WTF?!!

Not clear on whether you bought the ESP or not? Yes, parts can be expensive to replace, but that would apply to most vehicles these days, not just Ford. If you did not buy the ESP from the dealer and are considering getting one, see this thread; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

Not clear on whether you bought the ESP or not? Yes, parts can be expensive to replace, but that would apply to most vehicles these days, not just Ford. If you did not buy the ESP from the dealer and are considering getting one, see this thread; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

No, I didn't get it at the time. Luckily I didn't as it would have been financed with interest. I'm going to get an ESP soon though and have seen the referenced thread. But, thanks anyway for the link.

The sales pitch from the finance guy was really strange. He's wanting me to complete the sale for the Explorer but he was tearing down Ford so much it was ridiculously scary. Kafkaesque irony.

Oh, and, so far, I do love my PIU. The only issue I have with it is that the fuel tank is too small.

Yeah, it was odd. He was trying to sell me on an ESP with a lot of doom & gloom at the same time selling me a truck. Like a candy company holding a gun to your head trying to advertise how good diabetes can be. He was a moron and the absolute worst part of the buying process.

The gas tanks are pretty small huh?

I kinda wished I had gotten the AWD. Kinda useless in the city but would have been nice to have just in case.

Scare tactics.
Just trying to get another bump in sales/commission.

No problems with it but the more I look the more I see that is cheaply built.
She was a 10 at 2 and a 2 at 10. Best not to look around too much...

My first explorer (2012) I didn't love, at all. Grant it I liked how versatile and (overall) reliable it was but to me it felt too big on the inside (interior front), floaty in turns and oftentimes I felt very disconnected from the road. It was my wife's daily so I didn't drive it often.
Now the '17 Sport we have is completely different SUV which i'm in love with, the driving dynamics, the TT V6 Ecoboost, and the Sync system all really make a world of a difference for me with the Explorer. We we're on the fence about picking up the Sport or the XC90 and even though the Volvo had more bells and Whistles; for the price and quality of the seats the Explorer was a better buy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have had three Explorers... 2012 Limited, 2017 Platinum and now a 2018 Platinum and have loved them all. No complaints here. Loved the Explorers so much that we also got a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum.

Back