• Register Today It's free!

Bad Battery or Alternator or Both

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
The Check Charging System warning start going on and off for the past several days. Yesterday while driving the dash and stereo turned off but the truck was still running. My daughter parked the truck and turned it off and wasn't able to start it after that. I tried to jump start it with my car and the truck didn't start. I bought a new battery and was able to start it and drive home.

the old battery is 5 years old and the truck have 140k miles.

Is it bad battery, bad alternator or both? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So took the truck to Advance. Battery and alternator are bad. Got New battery from Costco and new alternator from advance. Problem fixed.

We're can I buy the small white connector that plugs to the alternator?

did it melt?

No, the tab broke

I've had old brittle tabs break. To fix, I use glue, lashing wire, or ty wraps.

You can't beat Costco price and warranty on car batteries. No questions ask returns.

So took the truck to Advance. Battery and alternator are bad. Got New battery from Costco and new alternator from advance. Problem fixed.

We're can I buy the small white connector that plugs to the alternator?
ROck Auto has a good selection of electrical connectors.

You can't beat Costco price and warranty on car batteries. No questions ask returns.

Uh huh, and how likely is one to be near a Costco when traveling and in need of a exchange? By getting a Motorcraft from OReilly's or the Ford Dealership you really expand the number of places to exchange at. I've never verified it, but I am also wondering if a Motorcraft bought at OReilly can be exchanged at a Ford Dealer...the warranty is Motorcraft's warranty not OReilly's...

Uh huh, and how likely is one to be near a Costco when traveling and in need of a exchange? By getting a Motorcraft from OReilly's or the Ford Dealership you really expand the number of places to exchange at. I've never verified it, but I am also wondering if a Motorcraft bought at OReilly can be exchanged at a Ford Dealer...the warranty is Motorcraft's warranty not OReilly's...
If I get stuck with a dead battery I can buy a new battery from the closest retailer and return the bad battery to Costco for a full refund. No one can beat that. Better than looking for a Ford or Oriley store for exchange.

If I get stuck with a dead battery I can buy a new battery from the closest retailer and return the bad battery to Costco for a full refund. No one can beat that. Better than looking for a Ford or Oriley store for exchange.

That's great for the rich people that always have $200 laying around their wallet. Not everyone always has money around.

That's great for the rich people that always have $200 laying around their wallet. Not everyone always has money around.
If I was rich I wouldn't be driving 05 Mountaineer. Costco battery only cost $100 ;)

SO I AM RICH BECAUSE I HAVE$200.00 IN MY WALLET.... YEAH

Back