Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

I don't know about the durability, my first one made it 40k for me and that was a junk yard take out with unknown mileage. Both of mine seem to have backlash which may be amplified by the trutrack in the rear end for me. It's nothing like my ranger was with the lockrite locker, that would confuse the cruise control when it crested a hill...
It is what i expect for $125 vs. $2600 for an atlas, i have thought about a 203/205 doubler but that's time and money too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it possible to throw up a few detailed pictures of your SAS and suspension? I know photobucket isnt working well for us.

I use https://cubeupload.com and works pretty good for posting pictures.

Thanks.

I will try to get the pictures up soon. lot's of uploading to do. I think i have come up with a bit of a redneck solution to raising the front end for now. i was going to cut the spring pockets and lower them but the way i welded on the plate for the steering gear mount is going to make that difficult to say the least. My plan is to make a spring pocket spacer out of steel and try that for a while.

All photobucket pictures are fixed (that would show up for me) and uploaded to the forum. I did not upload the cubeupload.com photos to the forum as they work fine. If you would like, you can upload the photos directly to the forum to ensure the the photos are here to stay! This build is amazing which is the reason why I took the time to fix these photos. It is a very thoroughly documented build with great fab skills and tools!

All photobucket pictures are fixed (that would show up for me) and uploaded to the forum. I did not upload the cubeupload.com photos to the forum as they work fine. If you would like, you can upload the photos directly to the forum to ensure the the photos are here to stay! This build is amazing which is the reason why I took the time to fix these photos. It is a very thoroughly documented build with great fab skills and tools!

Thank you very much Sir!

Thank you very much Sir!

You are welcome :thumbsup:

The software took a little while to understand but i have the basics down enough that the lower tube came out great.

What software are you using?

Wow!! That's incredible, Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.:chug:

The tube bending software is Bend-Tech pro. As it turns out they are a local company. It has changed how i build things for sure.

It's been quite a while since i have had anything to post about the Mountaineer. It has recently had the a.c. dryer rust through, the muffler has blown out on the rear and obviously it was rusty when i bought it. Recent failures have put me on the path of looking for a nicer hopefully rust free vehicle more aggressively. I managed to find a nice one listed on craigslist before the fourth of july. i contacted the seller and eventually got to go look at it last weekend. the kicker is that it was in Springfield Missouri area a mere 620 miles from me in Minnesota.... So my friend and i left with the truck and brand new trailer at 11 p.m. friday night to meet the seller around 9:30 a.m.

It turned out to be as advertised so i bought it. Zero rust and only 129,000 miles on it.

Hauled it back with no issues.

Here is my new project all shiny needing a few little things like gas struts and a hood release cable.

Thanks for the heads up. These were the first photos i have uploaded to the forum media. The pics showed in the post for me but i must have done that wrong. Can you see them now?

Springfield....just a rock throw from me. Great find!
It's a nice area down there and it's out of the rust belt, kinda jealous about that.

This weekend i managed to program new key's to it using the Forscan software instead of paying the dealer over $100. It only came with one key and i will eventually be putting a remote start in it. I also completed the new headlights with Acura TL projectors and HID conversion. I can't wait to try them out in the dark.

I Guess i will be starting a new thread for the new ride...

It's a nice area down there and it's out of the rust belt, kinda jealous about that.

This weekend i managed to program new key's to it using the Forscan software instead of paying the dealer over $100. It only came with one key and i will eventually be putting a remote start in it. I also completed the new headlights with Acura TL projectors and HID conversion. I can't wait to try them out in the dark.

I Guess i will be starting a new thread for the new ride...

The headlights sound interesting - did you build them yourself? got any photos to share?

I did build them myself, i will be getting some pictures up when i have some extra time. I will probably do a separate write up on it.

Glad to see your back at it.

Whose truck is that hauling it down because that doesn't look like your 24valve conversion truck.

Good eye....
That's my dad's '95 Powerstroke two wheel drive. My Cummins conversion is still sitting in the garage waiting for time, money, desire and a final decision on what way i want to go with the hurt transmission.

Good eye....
That's my dad's '95 Powerstroke two wheel drive. My Cummins conversion is still sitting in the garage waiting for time, money, desire and a final decision on what way i want to go with the hurt transmission.

Ahh ok. I figured by now you would have finally got that taken care of unless maybe you hurt it another time. I used to follow that build pretty heavy a couple years ago so I didn't know if you even still had it or if stuff had been different since than.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never got the hydro assist hooked up huh? I've been trying to set it up on my 5.0 as well and haven't had any luck getting it to work. Steering actually became more difficult, not easier. Were you planning on using the stock pump?

Back