enough doom and gloom, lets hear some high mileage, reliable 5th gen. stories. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

enough doom and gloom, lets hear some high mileage, reliable 5th gen. stories.

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I am wondering if anyone here has a high mileage 5th gen Ford Explorer and I am wondering if anyone has run into any issues or has any positive feedback?

I am really planning to drive mine until it dies so I really want to see what kind of problems I might run into in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Bill #4 Explorer is your best bet which he has posted quite a bit of his maintenance as well as what he has replaced. 150,000 miles in 4 years is a lot of driving.. I don't think I've read anyone else that has topped that yet or even come close.

I think Bill #4 Explorer is your best bet which he has posted quite a bit of his maintenance as well as what he has replaced. 150,000 miles in 4 years is a lot of driving.. I don't think I've read anyone else that has topped that yet or even come close.
Certainly not me. It would take me about 18.75 years to get there.:D

Peter

I have 85200 on my 2011. And it is a pleasure to drive. Only thing I needed was brakes at 65000. The arm console plastic lock broke but I put a magnetic catch and it is just fine. Third row seat seam is splitting but I am going to fix that next month with some fishing line.

I guess I should have added that I as well have about 83,000 on ours. Besides oil changes and the normal TSBs (almost every one has been done), we had a seal on the front right axle leak (maybe it was the PTU.. was a few years ago) and just had brakes done a couple months back because of the frozen pads in the caliper. Would have easily had another 30-40,000 miles on the pads as the other 3 had more then half life left. Overall, it's been pretty solid but I don't consider 83k high mileage.

I'm buy and hold. I'm not so concerned about the engine/powertrain or suspension parts (which will wear at some point) with the Ex. The engine seems to be a strong point and not a lot of suspension complaints.

My concern is the paint job and rust/corrosion/clear peeling on the outside or interior painted parts that get hit with the elements (already had hood paint bubble issue) and I am also concerned about premature wear for the interior (though not a problem for me yet with only 35k miles) from some things I have seem posted such as seats and armrests.

We shall see.....

2012 Explorer XLT with 50,600 miles. The Works package every 5000 - 7000 miles and a car wash once a week. She had 3 recalls, each recall was inspected but no parts were replaced.

Belt replaced around 40K
4 New Tires around 41K - One of the OEM tires had a nail. I'm sure the OEM tires would of lasted 50K
Rear Pads and Rotors replaced around 43K - Was told there was about 3mm left on the pads
Replaced Keyless entry pad around 50K - Was covered extended warranty

Overall, this is my first SUV. No major issue and I love the ride.

I have not heard of any powertrain or transmission issues thus far other than PTU seals in the transfer case. For the naturally aspirated V6's, the 3.5 is bulletproof and get's a lot of miles.

Now for the Ecoboosts, Ford did extensive testing on this motor before releasing it. They actually drove it from west coast to daytona, hooked up a trailer with a NASCAR on it, ran it 24 hours straight on the speedway in WOT (only stopping for fuel), then drove it back out west and dropped it in a baja truck and finished the baja. They also did some additional testing. I think all in all they had over 250,000 trouble free miles. It was a cool test if nothing else.

That said, this is a twin turbo with DI - historically even with BMW, Audi and Saab - a lot of carbon build up. It NEEDS to be ran; not driven like grandpa's Taurus, to prevent the carbon build up on the back of the valves, which I believe eventually will cause the turbo's to go. There is no approved Ford induction cleaning on these at this time. So run it hard every once in awhile, run premium or top tier fuels (added detergents) and run full synthetic and I think you should be good to go.

My Dad's 2011 EB has 182,000 miles on it, no issues other than regular maintenance. But that's in an F150.

I have not heard of any powertrain or transmission issues thus far other than PTU seals in the transfer case. For the naturally aspirated V6's, the 3.5 is bulletproof and get's a lot of miles.

Now for the Ecoboosts, Ford did extensive testing on this motor before releasing it. They actually drove it from west coast to daytona, hooked up a trailer with a NASCAR on it, ran it 24 hours straight on the speedway in WOT (only stopping for fuel), then drove it back out west and dropped it in a baja truck and finished the baja. They also did some additional testing. I think all in all they had over 250,000 trouble free miles. It was a cool test if nothing else.

That said, this is a twin turbo with DI - historically even with BMW, Audi and Saab - a lot of carbon build up. It NEEDS to be ran; not driven like grandpa's Taurus, to prevent the carbon build up on the back of the valves, which I believe eventually will cause the turbo's to go. There is no approved Ford induction cleaning on these at this time. So run it hard every once in awhile, run premium or top tier fuels (added detergents) and run full synthetic and I think you should be good to go.

My Dad's 2011 EB has 182,000 miles on it, no issues other than regular maintenance. But that's in an F150.

Good to hear! My dad has a 2014 Ecoboost F150 Supercrew. I will make sure to "clean" the valves for him once in a while. :)

I drive my 3.5L pretty hard sometimes. I WOT once in a while but maybe I should hold back on that if I want to drive it for longer lol.

I am wondering if anyone here has a high mileage 5th gen Ford Explorer and I am wondering if anyone has run into any issues or has any positive feedback?

I am really planning to drive mine until it dies so I really want to see what kind of problems I might run into in the future.

I'm also wondering, how many miles can be expected on the 3.5L non turbo engine and how proven is it. I realize driving conditions will make a difference, but assuming normal conditions, some city and some freeway driving in moderate temperatures, and routine maintenance always done, how many miles can be expected on this engine?

I personally love my new Explorer so far, granted its only got like 7,000 miles on it so far. lol. I have been reading these forums since I bought it, I'm actually glad I did not find these forums before hand or I would not have even looked at them.
I do understand that people are only going to post problems on these pages, there are countless owners on these forums with nothing but good stories of high mileage, and great reliability.

I would love to hear some of these stories...... How many miles on your 2011-2018 Explorers? What engine? POSITIVE REPLIES ONLY PLEASE!!!!!!

Thanks Pete, yea those are a couple years old and not much info. The firs one you list mostly has low mileage vehicles chiming in, and the second is talking more about the ecoboost in a pickup truck, which has the external water pump so.......kind of apples and oranges I think?

Hoping some guys can chime in here with some good high mileage stories. I keep my vehicles 10-15 years so hoping for good reliable life out of my new Explorer sport.

All the vehicles listed in my signature were purchased by me new, or one year old so I really do keep them. Oh the Buick you ask.......Ok purchased by my Grandfather in 1969, so I didn't really buy that one new but has been in my family since new so I think it counts.

Gen 3, 2004, pretty old already, 162K, runs beautifully. Only a few issues along the way, TCC solenoid quit, replaced @110K, Fuel Pressure & Temperature Sensor failed, replaced, ABS Module died, replaced w/used.

That's it. Best vehicle for the service it has provided of any I've owned. imp

Gen 3, 2004, pretty old already, 162K, runs beautifully. Only a few issues along the way, TCC solenoid quit, replaced @110K, Fuel Pressure & Temperature Sensor failed, replaced, ABS Module died, replaced w/used.

That's it. Best vehicle for the service it has provided of any I've owned. imp

Just saying...

I would love to hear some of these stories...... How many miles on your 2011-2018 Explorers? What engine? POSITIVE REPLIES ONLY PLEASE!!!!!!

Thread title has been edited to reflect 5th generation to keep in line with this Forum.

Peter

Thanks pete, I posted in the fifth gen forums so I thought would be enough said. sorry.

Thanks pete, I posted in the fifth gen forums so I thought would be enough said. sorry.
No problem at all. I realize it should be understood seeing as how it was posted here but occasionally it helps to be more specific. It's not the first time it has been done.;)

Peter

2013 Limited AWD... naturally aspirated V-6 engine without tow/haul. 105,000 miles with no major repairs. I even got 70,000 miles out of the original tires, and 100,000 miles on the original brake pads and rotors. This vehicle has been far more reliable, and cheaper to operate, than our Honda Odyssey with similar mileage. Despite some flukes and flaws, I'd have to say this is a very good vehicle and I'm quite happy with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Limited, 136k miles. Had to replace the A/C compressor last summer at over $1k. Dissappointing.

P0420/P0430 I'm currenly dealing with. I'm guessing its a leaky manifold gasket causing a lean condition triggering the code or original spark plugs causing a rich condition triggering the code. Only hits code occasionally, usually when idle goes low like shortly after starting, full turn to lock with A/C on. Mechanically, I was happier with our 2004 Honda Odyssey.

Otherwise, its a nice truck.

Back