5.0 spark plug wires? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 spark plug wires?

Thanks Celly, the wires went together pretty easily. Your right about the terminals. I ordered a bunch more just to have on hand if I blow thru another wire. They are cheap enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to bump this again

Are you guys having problems because of the TM headers? I just picked up a 98 5.0 with the stock cast manifolds and was going to put on the taylor 8.2 thundervolt wires with socks. I have a some wires with the metal shield (standard is the brand) which I was going to retrofit using exhaust cement/putty and metal exhaust tape on the troublesome plugs (don't know which ones those are yet)

I was having issues. Even with the metal shield wires. The wire looked physically ok, but heat had broken id down and it was arcing. These were NGK wires.

I went with the Accel Extreme wires, and so far so good.

I have at least 10K miles on mine. Long road trips, rock crawling, around town driving... Not a single problem! Just make sure you have the wires routed as clear of the header tubes as possible. Double check them a couple times in the first few weeks to make sure they didn't move.

Long term report!

The wires have handled all the heat that the TMH can throw at them without a hitch. Unfortunately I had to do a drivers side header gasket replacement and when I went to pull the wir3es off of the spark plugs the metal clippy thingy inside of the ceramic boot stayed on the spark plug end :(

Still, I am ordering another set to build for my MONSTERNEER.

A bit of an update to this since I seem to be having issues with my metal clippy thingy inside the ceramic boot coming apart. When the ceramic boot comes apart like this, the wire is NFG. Pull the kingsbourne end off and make a new wire, that's the only choice.
I wonder if its the heat doing this? Poor manufacturing?

I'm wondering if the universal Moroso Ultra 40 Race Ignition Wire Set might be worth a try along with the kingsbourne ends
the 135 degree boot set is part number 73802 . The boots are advertised as able to withstand 600 degree's.
http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/catalo...ctgroup.132000&expand=true&menuId=second.menu

Most of the truly go fast guys use these. I wonder if that makes them worth trying?

I had moroso blue max. they would last a year before the ends burnt off, and that was with the boot protectors on the ends

Seemed like a good idea. Lol.

I run Taylor cable 8.2 spiro wires and have no issues for many years
tay-thundervolt_red_w.jpg

I use the fiberglass heat socks, no metal guards in the heads and plenty of zip ties to keep them away from headers.
I do NOT route my 5.0 wires along the valve cover, instead I go out towards the fender...keeps wires well away from headers this method
Taylor spiro 8.8 never had a boot pull off a burn or any arcing

Those plug directly into the stock coil packs? If you have a part number, that would be great!

Perfect. Adding that to my list if I ever need another set. Threw brand new Motorcraft wires on during the conversion so I should be good for a while.

I run Taylor cable 8.2 spiro wires and have no issues for many years
tay-thundervolt_red_w.jpg

I use the fiberglass heat socks, no metal guards in the heads and plenty of zip ties to keep them away from headers.
I do NOT route my 5.0 wires along the valve cover, instead I go out towards the fender...keeps wires well away from headers this method
Taylor spiro 8.8 never had a boot pull off a burn or any arcing

This.
I get 70k - 80k out of a set of Taylors.
First set went 75k and 6 - 7 years, with factory manifolds and I put on a fresh set when I installed the TMH.
Second set went 80k and 5 years before developing a miss on #8.

For us with aluminum heads, I think we still need to go with a universal set with 135 degree boots.
I guess that's where it gets tricky (getting 8 135 degree spark plug boots with DIS ignition, as the descriptions are kinda vague).
The 10mm units look interesting (cost prohibitive), but there is no way that they would fit in the kingsbornewires wire boots since they are made for 8mm

Darth Ranger (1984 ranger I built) has edelbrock aluminum heads and TM conversion headers and is running the same taylor wires listed here. Boots clear everything without issue.

Thankks 410Fortune, that helps a lot.

Back