Anyone using a Tweecer for tuning? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone using a Tweecer for tuning?

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
I have one laying around collecting dust and was debating putting it on my 96 5.0 AWD. Truck is basically stock but I'm sure can benefit from it. Currently a 306 with TM headers and a K&N drop in. Full exhaust with Magnaflow mandrel bent down pipes and a mandrel bent 2.5" single exit tailpipe.

P.S. Anyone with a nice tune already done that would work on my setup that wants to share feel free :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tweecer tuning since 2006 and three supercharged engines. I have a tune for a stock 2000 302 and I am going to supercharge it eventually.

My tune for stock consists of better, stronger shift points and some additional timing here at 5,400 feet in elevation. Neither made huge gains, but I can rev it out in 1st before it hits second and I got it downshifting more aggressively at and close to WOT.

Your 96 uses a different strategy than my 2000 so my tune won't help you.

Did you change fueling at all? With my exhaust being opened up now I would think there are a few ponies tied up using the stock tune still.

@Blown - have you played with the Quarterhorse as well? I was curious about using that or the Tweecer to disable trans functions when doing an auto to manual conversion on the 5.0 setup.

1997XLTRollover
The fueling on these is good. Your build should have more flow and the computer/EECV will match that flow with more fuel. The open loop fuel table is 12.47 at high load and high rpm. That is plenty of fuel and your MAF should be reading a bit more flow with your mods.

fastpakr
I think it would be easier to get a computer for a manual tranny.

Sure, but nothing really exists for the sensor configuration we have in the explorer.

Sure, but nothing really exists for the sensor configuration we have in the explorer.

So much for easier. Do you know the Strategy the EECV is running? You can find details on what Strategy the Tweecer tuner supports on their site. The EECV Strategy would need to be supported to be able to tune it. Then the Strategy would have to have a way to turn-off auto tranny stuff............................I don't know why Ford would do that and I do not see a way to do so in the Strategy my rig uses. There may be a way to tune around any hitches that may come with your swap. I guess you have checked around for others solution to running a manual tranny?

If it's been tuned for it's likely here: EECTuning.org - Index page

Quarterhorse is fine. SCT is more user friendly for 1997 and up.
Welcome to www.moates.net! : Moates.Net
The TwEECer -- Ford EEC user programmable module

Who's strategy definition are you guys running? My truck has an EQE3 code REAC4 strategy... not aware of a complete definition.

With a Tweecer, the Strategy comes in the software.

Yes, you can download for free to look at it.

I didn't know that CalEdit was being used. Most people tune with TunerPro or Binary Editor.

I didn't know that CalEdit was being used. Most people tune with TunerPro or Binary Editor.

Really, Most people you know perhaps. Tweecer has always come fully supported with help from the owner and yahoo group, with available driveway tune to get you started, more advanced tunes and remote tuning. Strategies have always been available for free.

Some of us came to the intelligent choice years ago (TWEECER).

FYI, I have about 4 Tweecer RT units, but Quarterhorse is quite a bit more flexible, powerful, and half the cost. Once you have a final tune, an F3 chip with multi-tune selection is only $75. Don't get me wrong, Mike Glover had a great product back in '03. It's just that its been 15 years since then and there's far superior products at a fraction of the price out now.

FYI, I have about 4 Tweecer RT units, but Quarterhorse is quite a bit more flexible, powerful, and half the cost. Once you have a final tune, an F3 chip with multi-tune selection is only $75. Don't get me wrong, Mike Glover had a great product back in '03. It's just that its been 15 years since then and there's far superior products at a fraction of the price out now.

EECV is better left to SCT than any of these older tuners, but yes, I am using my Tweecer in my 2001 Explorer with REAC4 strategy. I have been able to do all I need with a Tweecer with software, unit and strategy included. I have tuned three supercharged engines with my trusty Tweecer RT and updated tunes with more boost and additional power adders. The price difference is not much when you get all you need in one package with Tweecer. You are trying to track down a Strategy, I opened the software and picked the strategy I needed and started tuning with Caledit and Calcon.

Do you pay for a strategy and software?

I have a dongle from back when BE was $10. Clint's been gracious enough to keep things updated for me so I've not had to shell out for updated pricing. TunerPro is pretty stellar at tuning the EEC-IV stuff, but I haven't found anything useful for EEC-V aside from pay for versions. My injected '71 Mustang used a CDAN4 strategy EEC-V box that I tuned with the Quarterhorse and a $25 definition from Sailorbob on BE. I know that Pops Racing sells a BE based REAC4 definition, but it goes for several hundred bucks - I've not shelled out for that yet.

It seems that you're able to tune REAC4 with CalEdit and Calcon? I'll have to try it out... I don't actually have a reason to do that at this time, but I was considering a rebuild with more displacement, mild chamber work, and an E303 cam in the near future.

Well, the time has finally come and I've actually got an E303 cam sitting on the bench here. I have a shortblock I put together with slightly bumped up compression, forged pistons, upgraded rods, head studs and ordered a set of Torque Monster headers (long lead item). I just tried to stuff the Tweecer mounted on the rear of my EEC-V back into the Mountaineer and no go. What is everyone running a Tweecer doing for mounting their computer? It looks like there's a vertical support in the rear of the stock EEC mount and it could be trimmed to provide the necessary clearance, but would love to know what others have done before taking the knife to her. :chug:

The Tweecer cables can easily get smashed-up inside there. That makes it stick-out further. I carefully pull wires from inside as I move the EEC back into position.
The EECV hangs-out the front a bit. I discarded the faceplate, used a little length of weather seal across the top, and bent/mounted a little keeper. I may grab another faceplate and make a spacer to use with it to seal it in better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like the way the EEC is mounted in the Ex/Mounty - very serviceable and seems to be well sealed. I'd love to retain that. Might need to 3D print something to help the situation!

Back