Solved - What's the Best Way to Roll Forward JY Odometer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved What's the Best Way to Roll Forward JY Odometer?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Indispensable Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
For over ten years, my odometer has caught less than a third of the actual mileage. I just bought an odometer that is closer to the actual mileage, but it is still about 60k off. What's the best(and safest) way to add 60k miles to an odometer without breaking any of the anti fraud devices?

I understand that it is against federal law to tamper with an odometer, but I don't intend to sell the vehicle and I already have to let any future buyers know that the odometer is broken.
I simply want an odometer that is closest to our estimated mileage so that I can track the MPG easier and finally be able to see an accurate(ish) depiction mileage on the odometer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for instructions for the white gauge cluster swap here. Info on setting the odometer should be in there.

Edit : can't find the link, but I saved these a long time ago. Should get you going.

Attachments

• How to change your Odometer when doing a gauge swap 95-03 trucks.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 182

I had one apart once and before I threw it away, I took the odometer roll out. I found the individual wheels will rotate with a ratchet type action higher, but lock from rolling lower ( backwards). So, if you have it out you can advance it to the use of your truck, and feel good about it.

use a drill motor 95 speedo still uses a cable so turn it for 60K miles

You'll be there forever with a drill. Seriously, they're not hard to pop apart and set following the info above .

use a drill motor 95 speedo still uses a cable so turn it for 60K miles

Welcome Back!!

In the good ol days this would have been taken for what it was, but I got it. Good to have you back!

Using a drill or dremel on the cable might be ok for small adjustments.

BUT not for 60k miles. 60k miles.... if the drill advanced the odometer at a rate equal to 60 mph, that would be 1000 hours of drill time. That is more than forty (40) days of constant drill time. Even at 120 mph, it would be more than twenty (20) days of constant drill time.

Sadly, I know for sure that your odometer will disintegrate into white plastic chips and dust if you increase speed to about 20,000 mph (it would still take three hours of drill time, but it will fail).

Good luck.

As far as I know you can just take the cluster apart and roll the odometer up to wherever you want it, I've got to roll one up for my white 2000 since the needles are starting to crap out at 270K, and temp needles are sorta important. I've got several here so I'll just pick one and go up to match mine exactly and throw it in.

I think the gauges are manufactured in pairs.

If your problem is only a bad temperature gauge, you can remove and replace the temperature gauge, and any of the other gauges, then reinstall the cluster unit. Your odometer would remain original.

Good luck.

TWENTY days of drill time! My bad! LOL
You can change the individual gauges yes make sure you use the same one to replace, they change year to year

Just take the clear cover off and take a small screwdriver and apply light pressure and push the number to the correct spot. It will click and pop but I've done this plenty of times without an issue other than scratching the numbers. 95-97 gauges tend to be more brittle and the main gear could crack using this method.

I had one apart once and before I threw it away, I took the odometer roll out. I found the individual wheels will rotate with a ratchet type action higher, but lock from rolling lower ( backwards). So, if you have it out you can advance it to the use of your truck, and feel good about it.

That's good to know, that they will rotate forward. I've only worked with two newer odometers, and they are awful to take apart and put back together at the desired mileage. The old type from the 70's are very easy, less than five minutes total.

If the numbers will roll forward, it should be relatively easy to run them one at a time until you get it to where you need it.

I always took the shaft out at one end, to get the roller wheels apart from the main driving gears. That's hard, and moving the numbers when you have it in hand is very delicate and tough. If the number wheels will roll like Jon says, do that, don't mess with taking them out then.

I'm looking at replacing the cluster as well as 2/3 of the interior due to smoking damage, guy who had it before me loved cigars too much imo, the cluster is literally foggy that's in it now, or I'd just swap the pair of needles out in the cluster. I thought about a 01-03 cluster since I'm in a 2000 but I dunno yet.

Thanks for everyone's input! I was able to adjust everything to its correct position, and if all goes well I should have it fixed next week when I get a couple other parts I want to install at the same time.

Back