• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Tank pressure sensor

Jay Monfort

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT Stock
I am hoping I can get some input on this problem I am having with the code P0453. It is calling out the fuel tank pressure sensor malfunctioning. I used an code reader which allowed me to see the fuel tank pressure and voltage. With the engine running and with the key on engine off the readings were the same. -0.1 PSI and 2.4volts. I ruled out the fuel cap just to rule it out. The vehicle is running fine. I believe that its the exterior sensor right next to the fuel pump in the tank. It looks easy to change since it doesn't directly go into the tank. I hope I am headed in the right direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isn’t a fuel cap on any of these vehicles as far as I know. If the code says the sensor is bad then I would listen.

2010 probably not but bot mine have fuel caps.

Correct mine is capless but i put tape over the inlet in hope to seal the tank some. No change in the readings I had mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Correct mine is capless but i put tape over the inlet in hope to seal the tank some. No change in the readings I had mentioned in the first post of this thread.
I would definitely consider swapping the sensor then. There isn’t an EGR valve code or anything like that being thrown is there? The filler neck can go bad and cause those. Never heard of the sensor code with that issue so you are barking up the right tree with the sensor I think.

I forget the details because its been a while, but there is a recall related to gas tank or sending unit, it's worth asking a dealer, even if only to rule it out.

I replaced the sensor (which was a real pain) and the system all checks good! Hope I am good to go for a while!

I replaced the sensor (which was a real pain) and the system all checks good! Hope I am good to go for a while!
How did you go about doing it? Did you drop the tank? Did you cut a hole in the floor? Or were you instead able to replace the sensor w/o dropping the tank by reaching up to the top of the tank and getting it out and a new one in?

Capless fuel neck was new feature for 2008 MY.

Back