2018 Explorer XLT alarm mystery | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer XLT alarm mystery

Also, for clarification--I mean the 12v battery under hood, not fob or other batteries. Not likely to be bad, but should be ruled out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those modules are pretty straight forward as long as the correct one is installed. I think all years have a jumper pin if removed will activate the shock sensor portion of it (need to check install manual online). They hook up to the OBDII port under the dash and if unplugged should remove the add on alarm/cell phone etc portion of it without any further programming if needed, to test if that's the issue..

To follow up with jmr, I took some photos under my dash to see if they even installed the Perimeter Plus which they charged me $400...these photos aren't the best, but not sure where else to aim camera..can you tell if its installed, at these camera angles? thanks! before I trek to the selling dealer 80 miles away, Id like to know if they even installed it before I get into my alarm issues

per1.jpg

per2.jpg

per3.jpg

I can see it in the last pic. Its the correct unit by the limited view. They sure did a crappy install (my opinion).

I wonder if the ty-rap was an additional charge?:)

Peter

Saga continues...we are planning to eventually go to the dealer that sold us the car 80 miles away, in the meantime, minutes ago, just got call from wife...she parked the car..she shut car off, didn't even lock it but got out to make sure she parked straight in space, went to get back in, opened unlocked driver door, and alarm went off. The local dealer refuses to replace fobs or for that matter ANY part to figure it out. These alarms which are not panic initiated do not throw codes, so they just hand me back my keys with a smile. Im getting pizzed off and hoping the next dealer service can do something, anything.

see my post #13.

Hi Pete, The alarm does cancel when we hit the unlock/button on fob for the 15 or so incidents, there was 1 incident where only the panic button depressed shut it

Hi Pete, The alarm does cancel when we hit the unlock/button on fob for the 15 or so incidents, there was 1 incident where only the panic button depressed shut it

Unplug the module from the OBDII that you paid $400 for and see if it still does it

Hey Blowin'Smoke, I suspect the module as well, but with 2200 miles on it, I wont touch anything and insist the next dealer do it, with my luck they will negate my warranty because I tinkered with it. I feel I am beginning to sound repetitive here, and will post only when the next dealer I take it to, figures it out. It really boils down to (2) bad fobs, Perimeter Plus, or door/hood/latch sensors, but my local dealer wont budge with replacing parts unless they see a code thrown, which is funny because they admit non-panic alarms do not show codes. Thanks for the tons of input, my next post will either be a resolution, or which cliff I pushed it off of.

Next time it goes off simply press the panic button on the fob and see if it shuts it off. If its the alarm it won't shut it off. If its the panic alarm, it will.

Hey Blowin'Smoke, I suspect the module as well, but with 2200 miles on it, I wont touch anything and insist the next dealer do it, with my luck they will negate my warranty because I tinkered with it. I feel I am beginning to sound repetitive here, and will post only when the next dealer I take it to, figures it out. It really boils down to (2) bad fobs, Perimeter Plus, or door/hood/latch sensors, but my local dealer wont budge with replacing parts unless they see a code thrown, which is funny because they admit non-panic alarms do not show codes. Thanks for the tons of input, my next post will either be a resolution, or which cliff I pushed it off of.

If it was door or latch sensors, you would get a liftgate or door open warning when driving down the road as it uses the normal sensors built into the doors/latch.

So those are essnetially eliminated. The module is plug and play and they cant void your warranty by unplugging it. All it will do is stop the perimeter plus from qorking so if you do not get any more triggers, you know it is that. I am not sure how it is mounted but it is supposed to be mounted to a solid surface to prevent it from moving on its own which could trigger it.

I would still unplug it and see if it still happens (many install these on their own including myself on my F350), if it doesnt, you can inform the dealer that it is either the module that is bad or just mounted improperly which they can figure out

+1 for unplugging it.

I've also installed this myself. On three different vehicles.

If you have issues, just plug it back in. This isn't something to void your warranty.

unplug it, if it still goes off, plug it back in and don't tell them, a secret:laugh:

Update** The Perimeter Plus module was defective, dealer replaced it and problem solved.

Thanks for reporting back with the update/resolution.:)

Peter

Hello! I have a 2017 Platinum edition that is doing the same thing that has been posted about here (walking away and alarm sounding). I figured out that the main fob will make the alarm go off no matter what when the lock button is pushed and no other buttons will deactivate the alarm once it has sounded. You have to physically get in the car and press start to disable the alarm. Luckily the spare fob (one without ford logo on the back) hasn't had this issue. Buuuuuut also found out today (3rd day of ownership) that If you have the car unlocked and you access the rear door (open and then close) and then walk away form the vehicle, the alarm will also sound, no matter the key. Again, even on the alternate fob, no buttons will deactivate the alarm....only the start button inside the vehicle. It's looking like no one has had much luck with this issue? I first assumed it was a rear latch bad sensor but the other incidents have made me feel like there's more going on. Has anyone been successful in shutting the alarm off entirely themselves?? I just need the friggin thing to lock without pissing off my neighbors lol

Welcome to the Forum Shirley.:wave:
Have you had the dealer check it out? Is the factory warranty still in effect?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure about the factory warranty. I purchased it from Carmax but wasn't confident that they would know enough about the issue seeing how so many people with explorers have it. I called the closest Ford dealership and had to leave a message so I am still waiting on them to call me back. Reading above hasnt given me much hope that they will be able to help either seeing as the alarms I have are similar to the ones that aren't throwing codes. I have an OBDII reader that I can bluetooth to my phone, but I have only used it for engine codes. I may give that a try in the meantime seeing as I have been setting the alarm off no less than 4 times a day the last 3 days

Back