2020 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

"The 2020 Explorer is expected to share a platform with the new Lincoln Aviator. That means it will most likely be rear-wheel-drive based, with all-wheel drive available as an option. The CD6 platform was also designed to accommodate front-wheel-drive layouts, but we don't see Ford going that route with the new Explorer. That's because a teaser image Ford released shows an SUV with a longer dash-to-axle ratio, suggesting the engine will be mounted longitudinally. Proportions also appear to be similar to the rear-drive Aviator concept (pictured above), with a sloping roof and a pronounced beltline."

"Ford hasn't said much about the new Explorer, but we do know one thing for sure: There will be an ST version. Like the Edge ST, the Explorer ST will most likely replace the Sport model. Currently, the Explorer Sport makes 365 hp from a 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6, but we expect Ford to add a good bit more power, potentially pushing it past the 400-hp mark. Look for the Explorer ST to get a rear-biased all-wheel-drive system, as well as a sport-tuned suspension and active roll control. Hopefully, it will offer enough performance to give the Dodge Durango SRT a real run for its money."

2020 Ford Explorer: What to Expect From Ford’s Redesigned Family Hauler - Motor Trend

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good. Let's go!

I admit I was expecting a bigger re-design, but I guess if it doesn't look like the Explorer then somehow it isn't one. I still like it. Looks a little more aggressive, and for Europe it's still a great size. Any bigger over here would be too big to park. I'll wait until I see the interior and what they changed there. I also really hope they kicked Sync 3 to the curb and either went with something better already existing or created something better themselves.

Seventh-generation Ford Mustang pushed back a year to 2021

Explorer is sharing the same platform as...the Mustang?

Not sure who was first with the concept of a modular car construction platform, but Volvo is doing the same thing with the entire line now, all their V-line, S-line and XC-vehicles share the same modular platform, and they are quite different cars in general. I guess it takes time to get something like that right, which may explain the delay on certain vehicles, especially if they aren't "quite like the others" design wise.

I hope it is not smaller than mine. Like the rear wheel though. and the bumper.

I think that should actually be, Mustang is sharing the same platform as...the Explorer? ;)

Peter

All depends on where you're standing, right?

All depends on where you're standing, right?
Yes, it all depends on your point of view. But with the Explorer using the platform before the Mustang, I look at it as the Mustang that is 'sharing'.:)

Peter

I hope it is not smaller than mine. Like the rear wheel though. and the bumper.
With it having the inline engine rather than the transverse one it should be slightly longer than the current Explorer.

Peter

straight inline 6? wow

In the '50s and '60s manufacturers retooled practically the entire vehicle every year to stay fresh and relevant. The cars changed a lot and the price changed a little. These days the cars change a little and the prices change a lot ;)

Not a straight 6, but an in line, rather than transverse (sideways) for FWD, V-6.

I see what you mean the sideways was for trans-axle (front wheel drive) right?

Maybe they should kill the current (and proposed) Explorer platform and go back to the Ranger based platform instead.
7.jpg
2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem is that the majority of buyers prefer the unibody of the current 5th generation Explorer. That is why the change was made in the first place and why I switched to the Explorer in 2011.

Peter

Back