2nd gen interior color options??? “Shades of Tan to be specific” | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen interior color options??? “Shades of Tan to be specific”

JLindley

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ex XLT, '97 Ex EB
I have a ‘97 Explorer EB with what I believe is a prairie tan interior. The interior trim code on the door says FX but I cannot find proof online that says FX is prairie tan. Is there different shades of prairie tan from 1997 to 2001?? I know the 96 and 95 was Sattle tan which is much darker. The reason I’m asking is I want to get new Sun Visors with the homelink button but the ones I’ve seen online look to be even a lighter tan than what I have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have seen, only 3 colors where available, 1) medium graphite 2)Dark graphite 3) tan or biege color.

There's more colors than that, there's also a blue, and a green. Blue looks nice, green is awful. Then there's the white or beige in Limiteds I've seen, medium graphite, dark graphite, and the tan color that changed in 97 I believe. I've never been on point with the interior colors and what years they were out there though. I think your 97 is the same as a 98-01 though, I think 97 was a changeover year.

As far as I know there were only 2 tan interior shades. The darker "saddle tan" and the lighter "prairie tan". 1998 sounds about right for the changeover to the lighter prairie tan.

BTW: I had to re-cover my center console vinyl on our 2000 Mountaineer. I ordered the light prairie tan, but when I got it it looked like it was a considerably darker color. I contacted the seller and was assured it was the right color. Funny thing is that once it was installed in the truck it matched perfectly. Apparently the green tint of the window glass effects the color a lot.

For reference: Saddle tan on the left (center). Prairie tan on the right (center).

s-l300.jpg

If you're wanting to paint your gauge pod, I'd look for an interior dye spray can that matches as close as you can find. As said, the interior parts are molded in colored plastic, not painted.

I know 1998s have Prairie tan, when I had my 01 XLT it was tan and I bought a ton of parts out a 98 to fix it, they were a perfect match.

I have a homelink visor with the newer tan, the difference is very subtle to me. The visors could be split and you could reuse the fabric from the old one...

There's more colors than that, there's also a blue, and a green. Blue looks nice, green is awful. Then there's the white or beige in Limiteds I've seen, medium graphite, dark graphite, and the tan color that changed in 97 I believe. I've never been on point with the interior colors and what years they were out there though. I think your 97 is the same as a 98-01 though, I think 97 was a changeover year.
My last Mounty was green on green. I dig it. The new Mounty is an identical truck, except for the prairie tan leather. Otherwise, it’s optioned identically.

I personally would love a blue interior, that's a great color IMO. My favorites though are the tans or dark graphite, medium graphite was overused IMHO

Thanks everyone for all your help. Got a new visor, gonna have to split the visor and change out the mirrors. The warning label on the mirror door is different than my other ones that came with the car. That may make me seem crazy wanting my warning labels to match lmao!! I may leave it alone and buy another visor with the home link for the drivers side and then I wont have to worry bout it. The labels on them seem to be the same.

On a side note, i ran across a ‘98 Explorer XLT 5.0L AWD today with a 128,458 miles on it. Conveniently its my neighbor like a mile down the road that owns it. It belongs to an elderly women who bought it brand new. Seriously considering buying it if she comes down on the price, She’s asking 6,000 which is way too much!! I said thats way more than I’m wanting to spend, told me to come back next week and could work something out. I guess she wants to see who stops and looks at it. No one is gonna pay 6 grand for that car i hate to tell her. It is in good shape though, been took care of. I would LOVE to have that V8!!

Back