Frame rusting out above shackle..suggestions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frame rusting out above shackle..suggestions?

What’s the reason for two separate plates? What holds the second plate on?

because of the way the frame was raised outwards and i had cut that portion out and put in a flat piece i had to weld on another plate to get it out to the end of the bushing and even then i added those 4 small plates to bring it flush to the edges of the ring.

i will keep an eye on it and check it regularly to see how it holds up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice repair!
I live in MA and we have similar issues, spring shackle area is a common problem. Around here the bodies/chassis rot before the engine dies lol

Check your fuel filter and plugs/wires on the 97, especially the fuel filter, if you haven't touched it. Also they're both same drivetrain? 2WD or 4WD? There shouldn't be a difference really.

Check your fuel filter and plugs/wires on the 97, especially the fuel filter, if you haven't touched it. Also they're both same drivetrain? 2WD or 4WD? There shouldn't be a difference really.

yeah plugs and wires on my to do list for the 97, I already changed the fuel filter right after i bought it because i had drain all the gas out from it sitting in a shed for 5 years and i changed the filter after pumping all the old stuff out.

it runs fine but I dont' know what plugs it has in it, 7 out of 8 of the wires are beldens and then one motorcraft wire, no idea what that is all about. but i plan on putting motorcrafts in it.

They probably melted one, and stuck an old factory bougiecord wire back on.

Check for an exhaust leak near whichever cylinder has the replacement wire, also check for the heat shield some of them have, that's important too as far as reasons why the wires don't match.

Back