• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control button delete

cz413

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Sport Trac
So I’ve taken off the buttons on the steering wheel because they were all deteriorated and gross.

I find out that the horn doesn’t work.

Is there any way to get the horn to work again without buying new switches?

The cruise control isn’t even installed because my grandfather removed it so it will be purely cosmetic.

Also, would the airbag not work as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the wiring for the cruise control switches as it has the ground signal for the horn built into it. It connects at one of the screws for ground and to each horn paddle.

I'm don't think that's correct for a Sport Trac. My '02 Sport Trac did not have cruise until I added it. I don't think the CC buttons have anything to do with the horn. There's a short bit of wiring (2 wires) that pigtails out of the clockspring, both with and without cruise. As I recall, that connects to the horn. The horn sounds when the airbag is pushed down and the contacts on the airbag touch the horn contacts. The ribbon wire for the CC buttons isn't even there without cruise as there's nothing for them to connect to.

Just did a search and the sport and sport trac still seem to use the same cruise control setup as the 2000 and before trucks. If you look at the pictures of a new cruise control setup the 2 blade connectors go to the horn switches on either side. If the OP removed all wiring associated then the horn will not work. I assume the non cruise clock spring had the connections built in.

Years ago I noticed that every vehicle I worked on ran constant 12V power to the horn(s) and the horn button provided the ground to make them blow when pushed. IDK if the ground wire that's attached to one of the mounting screws for the CC switch provides the ground for the horn button, but that seems like a reasonable conclusion if your horn stopped working right after you eliminated the CC wires. All Ford ground wires are black.

What's the saying? When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.

I just realized the wiring I mentioned goes to the airbag, not the horn, so forget what I said above.

I've bought 3 sets of good used OE CC switches off eBay. Typically around $40 (less than 1/2 of aftermarket new) with free shipping. They've all worked perfectly though usually the bulbs are burnt out. The bulbs can be replaced, but it's tricky and at the risk of damaging the button covers. I use my cruise control all the time, but don't drive much after dark so the lack of illumination doesn't bother me.

I bought new buttons and I don't think they light up. Like koda, I don't drive much after dark where I use CC anyway.

I bought new buttons and I don't think they light up. Like koda, I don't drive much after dark where I use CC anyway.

The CC buttons light up on my Explorers and Mountaineers, but I've never had them light up on my ST. I don't know if they're supposed to, I just assume they are. Then again my power windows buttons are always lit up on my ST, where they don't light up on my Explorer or Mountaineer. I think Ford stopped having the window switches light up after '96.

They all light up but the bulbs are usually on a short life. I drive mostly at night, long trips and have changed the switches often. It is easier than feeling around to change settings especially speed settings. Use the speed control 100 % of the time on the highways, have not had a vehicle without it since 1967. Saves me about $20.00 per tank of gas.

I know where the CC buttons are by feel so the the illumination isn't important for me on my ST (I really only use the ON and SET buttons, but on on my EB with the steering mounted controls for the radio, CC and temp and blower speed I couldn't find anything at night w/out the buttons lighting up.

Same on our Ford Flex I use feel but I find the dim light makes it easier. I drive with interior lights, dash etc very dimmed and drive with the speed control only no gas pedal, brake foot just off the brake pedal so when I want the right button a little light helps. When you drive from dust to dawn on highways with constant changes in speed and traffic conditions you need to stay alert. We prefer to drive at night less traffic, peaceful and we have been over the same routes so many times the scenery is not important, just getting there is what we want with as few rush hours and stops as possible.

Back