• Register Today It's free!

Power window won't pull up

dajoes90

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since i needed your help.

Here's the situation;
Yesterday on the way home, i've pulled down the front passenger window but when i tried to pull it back up, the window wasn't responding on any of noth switches (driver and passenger). Also my battery died and i was thinking that maybe that was the problem but after replacing it for a new one, the window wasn't responding.

I've dissassembled the door panel trying to find a solution but the only think I've got is being more worried. As a detail i've seen, the passenger side switch has light when the engine is running, if you try to press the 'down' button, the light turns off until you release it, this may lead to something? The one on the driver side also doesn't work.

I sprayed liquid silicone on the gap where the window glass is to see if maybe was stuck but nothing happened. Also i tried to hear any sound from the motor and hear nothing neither.

Also I've tried to see if any cable was peeled or cutted but didn't see anything. I'm thinking on buying the whole motor assembly and change it all at once, due that in the pass i've had some issues with the same window not responding or pulling it down slowly and then going back to normal. I have to say that, even that i have experience replacing parts, i don't have any idea when it comes to wires and electricity.

What do you guys think? What should i do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the conclusion i've got to, but the question is, where can i start looking for a bad wire? I've already seen between doors and under the switches and any cable looks bad. What i'm thinking is that due that any of front sides switches works, maybe the bad wire is from anywhere close to the fuse box?

I'm not real sure but I think you could test the regulator with a jumper wire going from the battery.

So do you think a direct wire from the positive straight to one of the connectors of the window motor will work in case that stills working? I might try this later today, at least to try pulling up the window and leave it like that while i try to find the wire. By the way, where can i find a piece of wire to do the jumper, Home Depot?

The power window motors are DC 12 volt. If you unplug the motor from the harness, take a 2 conductor wire (zip cord or old extension cord), or 2 pieces of wire, hook it up to the battery positive and negative, then plug the other end of the wires in to the PWM connector. One way the window will roll up. Swap the wires at the connector, the other way will roll down.

I tried with a piece of wire and a circuit tester one way and another and nothing happened. Immediately after this, i ordered on Rockauto a new power window and i'll change it this weekend. What i'm going to do is, after i receive the part, i'll plug the connector and try to press up and down to see if the motor works or it's another issue, hope it works, it's the only think i can do before thinking on the worst job (finding the wire issue)

I tried with a piece of wire and a circuit tester one way and another and nothing happened. Immediately after this, i ordered on Rockauto a new power window and i'll change it this weekend. What i'm going to do is, after i receive the part, i'll plug the connector and try to press up and down to see if the motor works or it's another issue, hope it works, it's the only think i can do before thinking on the worst job (finding the wire issue)

2 pieces + and - ? and make sure you are plugging in to the motor connector and not the supply side or the main vehicle harness. :)

2 pieces + and - ? and make sure you are plugging in to the motor connector and not the supply side or the main vehicle harness. :)

I did it straight from the battery, the connector you see on the side is not the main one? Is the one where the wires from the switch go connected, right?

Also i have to say that the window stopped working when we pull it down to see the car on the side (where my daughter was with her grandparents) and using both switches, first the driver side (me) to lower it down a little bit and then the passenger side (my wife) to lower it all the way down, and never pull up back again. Before that happened, i had some issues a couple months ago where the window got stuck halfway.

I'm just checking. Straight from the battery is good and you can trace the wires up to the motor without to much trouble. I know the 1st and 2nd Gen models but as far as your '04 goes, I hav'nt looked inside one of those doors consciously. If it is like my "Mom's 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis it is a cable drive set-up. Somehow the cable can get wound up inside the drive mechanism and locks up. motor is still good, cable drive assy bad. Someone feel free to chime in that knows these 3rd Gens.

I'm just checking. Straight from the battery is good and you can trace the wires up to the motor without to much trouble. I know the 1st and 2nd Gen models but as far as your '04 goes, I havn't looked inside one of those doors conscientiously. If it is like my "Mom's 2010 Merc Grand Marquis it is a cable drive set-up. Somehow the cable can get wound up inside the drive mechanism and lock up. motor still good, cable drive assy bad. Someone feel free to chime in that knows these 3rd Gens.

I had a friend of mine checking the power window and it looks like the new power window motor i've purchased is doing the same that the old one, goes down but never up. Does that mean that is a wire issue? If you think that's the case, what do you recommend me to do to try to find this issue? I have to say that none of the front sides goes up, only down, where should i start looking?

Check the wires in the driver door, they break over time. I redid like 5 or 6 wires in mine not too long ago.

Back