Droning noise coming from rear on 2011 Limited. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Droning noise coming from rear on 2011 Limited.

ekessler507

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Just this past Friday (8/24), my wife noticed a droning or humming sound coming from the rear of her 2011 Explorer Limited with ~65k miles. It is not the tires as they have been swapped around and the noise remains. Wondering if it could be the rear transfer case, a bearing, or something else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
One other thing it could be is an exhaust leak. Do you only hear it when driving or is it there also when not moving?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
One other thing it could be is an exhaust leak. Do you only hear it when driving or is it there also when not moving?

Peter
Peter, the noise is only noticeable over 25-30mph. If it was exhaust, I would expect to hear it change pitch/level feathering the throttle.

Does the noise change when accelerating, braking, turning left or right?

Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing.
66 Galaxie asked good questions.

Peter, the noise is only noticeable over 25-30mph. If it was exhaust, I would expect to hear it change pitch/level feathering the throttle.
In that case, you may be right then in it possibly being a wheel bearing starting to go or the PTU.

Peter

My bet is on the wheel bearings. Both of my rear wheel bearings were replaced last year. Looks like it's common issues.

Same. Had to replace both rear wheel bearings.

Here is a trick: Go drive on the highway for 10 minutes. Then pull over somewhere and feel the center of your rim around the hub. It may feel warm/hot if the bearings are really bad. To rule out dragging brakes, touch the disc to see if its hot.

and...er...Caution! Things may be ... hot!

Anyone got from front wheel bearing issues? Now I am hearing some noises again, but not sure if it comes from front or rear, I can feel slight vibration during normal driving. Not sure if it because the tires are old.

Anyone got from front wheel bearing issues? Now I am hearing some noises again, but not sure if it comes from front or rear, I can feel slight vibration during normal driving. Not sure if it because the tires are old.
When was the last time your tire balance was checked?

Peter

Back