• Register Today It's free!

Stock Tweeters

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
Did any trim Explorer of this generation come with stock tweeters? Looking to install some and hopeful that wiring may be tucked somewhere.

Had a Murano previously and there was tweeter wire ticket up in the dash. Will make life easier if there is some in the Explorer. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like none came with tweeters, pretty crazy considering that these are not really old vehicles.

Anyway, for anyone looking I was able to install a set of focal tweeters in the sail panels. There's not much room, but just about enough to fit them. The difference in sound is great compared to the infinity speakers that I previously had in there (coaxials).

Now to fix the subwoofer amplifier..... Again.

pics or it didnt happen! lol

Will grab a couple pics tomorrow, my wife is at work and has it with her. Hope life is treating you well!

Pics as requested...

O2DDHjR.png

SC6rckY.png

They look a little twisted in the pictures, but in person they are not. Unfortunately I messed up and the drivers is in a very slightly different position to the passenger, but I am not going for any prizes with this, just wanted something better for the wife.

The links are no longer working. I did take a look at them this morning and thought they looked pretty good. The picture made the tweets look like they are angled downward. I doubt this is the case though since the panel is vertical and not angled. How do they sound?

Changed the links to the pictures embed a little better.... they do actually angle down ever so slightly, the pictures seem to exaggerate the effect somewhat though. They sound pretty good, as expected a huge improvement over stock, but also a noticeable improvement to the Kappas coax that were installed in there. They definitely bring the sound up and away from the doors, which is really what I wanted them to do.

Repaired the stock subwoofer amplifier again while I was at it, so overall it sounds pretty good considering it is running the stock head unit. I can see me eventually having to replace that amp though.

Here are the mounts I made to add component speakers to my system. It may not be the easiest way or look the nicest but it works for me and the sound is much better. I used Kicker 43CSS68 speakers.

QK2ZA4L.jpg

CgsRYHw.jpg

EJvAz40.jpg

58rKSyC.jpg

I made the mounts out of balsa wood and epoxy putty. The epoxy putty was used to mold the rough shaped balsa to the door panel then sanded it round and painted to match the light trim in the car.

This look pretty good, the Focals came with a similar looking mount for the tweeters, but I had wanted them to fit flush with the panel.

If they did not fit though, I likely would have almost the exact same set up that you do.

Ian,

Ive been working on my exploder this week and was contemplating options for mounting the tweets. I saw the angle you mentioned of the sail panel on the door. Definitely not optimal by any means, but an easy placement. Be sure to check out my thread for updates here and on junkies later this week. Lots of things happening. Lots of custom.

Easy placement is exactly why I went with that option, I think if it were my vehicle I would have looked at putting them either in the A-pillars or up on the dash in that sort of rectangle looking area that comes off the side vents.

Will keep an eye on your thread, looking forward to what you do. Just saw the pic on junkies, very cool.

Back