New Saleen Parts for Big White | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Saleen Parts for Big White

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Finally found a new set of Saleen XP8 Explorer Pedals for Big White. Checked another off my list

BIG WHITE Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brings back memories, almost bought one (actual V8 XP8) about 15 years ago, was in NJ. Guy literally sold it 2 days before. I can still remember exactly lol, was in college then and was going to take the auto train up, pick it up, and put back on the train for ride back down. Even with all the other vehicles I've had since including Viper, seeing this post makes me have a flashback of regret of not grabbing that truck sooner. Made an offer, guess someone offered more and he sold it, I'm like dude you should have countered or contacted me, I would have bought it lol. I had already thought of doing 331 or 347 build, supercharged etc... ugh.

I've only ever seen 1 XP8 all these years. I generally hate body kits, theres a 2nd gen Shelby Raptor around here that look so ugly vs stock with that garish body kit, but I can still remember how clean the Saleen Explorers looked. Parts were pricey too, I came across a set of the recaro seats once and they wanted 3000 for them, was like nope.

Finally found a new set of Saleen XP8 Explorer Pedals for Big White. Checked another off my list

BIG WHITE Ford Explorer

Good get Jim, where did those turn up?

I have the pedal inserts, but hadn't ever seen the pedals anywhere. If you have time, can I get you to make me a couple of templates? I'd use them to have something made, in steel most likely.

Keep an eye out for the side skirts too. I've seen one or a 2-3 pieces before, but only once a whole set(entire kit for $3500ish). I'd put them on mine too if I could find all six pieces.

XP8 kit.jpg

Brings back memories, almost bought one (actual V8 XP8) about 15 years ago, was in NJ. Guy literally sold it 2 days before. I can still remember exactly lol, was in college then and was going to take the auto train up, pick it up, and put back on the train for ride back down. Even with all the other vehicles I've had since including Viper, seeing this post makes me have a flashback of regret of not grabbing that truck sooner. Made an offer, guess someone offered more and he sold it, I'm like dude you should have countered or contacted me, I would have bought it lol. I had already thought of doing 331 or 347 build, supercharged etc... ugh.

I've only ever seen 1 XP8 all these years. I generally hate body kits, theres a 2nd gen Shelby Raptor around here that look so ugly vs stock with that garish body kit, but I can still remember how clean the Saleen Explorers looked. Parts were pricey too, I came across a set of the recaro seats once and they wanted 3000 for them, was like nope.

I would like a set of the recaro seats but I do not want to lose the side airbags to stay true to the concept scope of the truck. Wonder if I can get some recaro seats that have side airbag support?

Thanks, I'll PM you shortly.

The Recaro seats for the XP8 are the same Skyline model you may still find elsewhere, they used to be around $2k each new. They looked to be almost the same upholstering, I was searching for something used 10 years ago, but nothing was feasible then.

Thanks, I'll PM you shortly.

The Recaro seats for the XP8 are the same Skyline model you may still find elsewhere, they used to be around $2k each new. They looked to be almost the same upholstering, I was searching for something used 10 years ago, but nothing was feasible then.

Wouldn't have so much a problem with the price - if only to find some that have side airbag support... Really hate to have to discard that factory option.

Wouldn't have so much a problem with the price - if only to find some that have side airbag support... Really hate to have to discard that factory option.

That you would have to modify the seat back. That might not be that hard, but cutting into the seat back to alter it may or may not affect the strength, or design of it in a way you don't want. If it was a big deal for you, I'm sure you could do it.

That's crazy pricing for body kit alone. The #1 XP8 sold for like $~5k (ebay 140k mi IIRC) with full body kit + interior but motor/trans were shot. Seemed like a bum deal given the Gen1 brakes and all the work/parts needed to swap in to make it drive-able.

I've seen two XP8's on eBay that were just under $5k, and those were8-10 years ago. If you find one intact for that now, you should get it somehow.

I don't know what that set of parts finally sold for as pictured above, that was the general price range wanted for them to start with. I only know what the front bumper sold for, I got that from him. Back then just the bumpers and wing were around $500 items. With every piece extremely scarce to find, you should be satisfied with anything.

I quit looking several years ago, since I only could use a better rear bumper, and the side skirt pieces. Those are the rarest items.

I guess. The listing I saw was super hyped regarding #1 XP8 and signature on dash blah blah blah. Didn't sell for 12k, didn't sell for 10k etc etc and I think it went for 5.5k not too long ago. (3 years?)

Deathblow to me was that the hood was cracked and on sticker never came with that carbon hood anyways so wasn't original either. Would of been kind of a cool ride to fix up and restore in all original matching options with rebuilt motor/trans if the interior was in great condition. *shrug*

I mean to some these are super cool parts. There is a pitted, rusted rebar-ish looking front sway bar listed for $350 asking on eBay LOL. Get that **** fixed up, re-powder coated, new urethane bushings and brackets + instructions for that kind of asking.

I guess. The listing I saw was super hyped regarding #1 XP8 and signature on dash blah blah blah. Didn't sell for 12k, didn't sell for 10k etc etc and I think it went for 5.5k not too long ago. (3 years?)

They are rare and old enough now that the number of serious interested buyers is smaller. It may not be as feasible to buy one to part out now, tough to sell unique parts that few people have heard of. I think it's likely prices could be wildly different now, or change from one day to another.

Some parts like the special carbon fiber hood could sell for a big number, but many parts might only bring $100-$200 in a random auction. They are all wonderful parts, but you have to need them a lot to justify going after them these days.

Saleen branding carries no value to me. If you can get the same hood fabricated in full metal for less, why would you seek the Saleen part? With the first run original XP8 fetching a joke price, seems market would agree.

Saleen branding carries no value to me. If you can get the same hood fabricated in full metal for less, why would you seek the Saleen part? With the first run original XP8 fetching a joke price, seems market would agree.

With the Big White project - $ has not really been a factor, rather just setting out to accomplish the vision of the project itself in a manner as close to what might have been done per the projects "what if" scenario.

That's crazy pricing for body kit alone. The #1 XP8 sold for like $~5k (ebay 140k mi IIRC) with full body kit + interior but motor/trans were shot. Seemed like a bum deal given the Gen1 brakes and all the work/parts needed to swap in to make it drive-able.

My understanding is the body kit on XP8 # 1 is very different from that installed on the XP8's that came later.

I mean to some these are super cool parts. There is a pitted, rusted rebar-ish looking front sway bar listed for $350 asking on eBay LOL. Get that **** fixed up, re-powder coated, new urethane bushings and brackets + instructions for that kind of asking.

I spoke to Steve Saleen several years ago and he said that the front swaybar wasn't really worth searching/buying for a Gen II as it was close to the same as the OEM ones that came on the later Gen IIs. I had one that I sold from a set years ago for $165.00. The rear bar from the set is now on Big White and before that was installed on my 94 Limited.

Ditto, the XP8 front bar was solid, and the OEM bar was hollow on Explorers of 95-97's. So the stock 98-01 bar is solid, and similar to the XP8 version. I have the Addco 1.5" front bar, and can say it does help handling a little more, but don't do that unless you also have the EE rear bar. The other rear bars, and the XP8 rear bar, are too small to use with the 1.5" front bar. It will produce too much under steer with the smaller rear bars.

I've seen several pictures of the prototype XP8's, and their body parts looked identical to the later type, I never thought they were different in any way. I wouldn't want any different bumpers or wing, the XP8 parts are perfect.

Biggest difference is the rear bumper on XP8 98-0001 which was done on a 1997 chassis I think. Saleen Dream also said some slight difference in the rear wing on this prototype XP8.

My fav is the rear console surround. This car also originally had rear carbon fiber on the back pillars as well. The seller still had them although they needed repair.

ebay_2015_98-0001X_0002.jpg

ebay_2015_98-0001X_feature.jpg

ebay_2015_98-0001X_0004.jpg

numbersnhhaskins_1_1503701641.jpg

ebay_2015_98-0001X_0005.jpg

ebay_2015_98-0001X_0011.jpg

ebay_2015_98-0001X_0024.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice, I forgot about those differences, and the console rear piece. I remember the rear bumper with no vent holes in it. The license plate for those 97's would have to be in the bumper.

Back