BCM Programming - Trailer Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BCM Programming - Trailer Lights

Hm I'm not sure, if I have something, but I can discribe.
Meanwhile I resolved the issue by using the functionality provided by my German Trailer Tow module. But this required cutting the rear turn signal wires and attaching a wire to the brake wire and the vehicle tail light

Let me discribe what is needed for a trailer:
yellow turn signal (21 Watts each side)
yellow hazard lights
red stop light (21 Watts each side)
running lights right --> light forward has to be white, backward red, side yellow (5 or 10 Watts)
running light left --> light forward has to be white, backward red, side yellow (5 or 10 Watts) (I have not seperated these two, I have only one running light wire for left and right)
white backup light (21 Watts, only one light somewhere required, two on bothe sides are okay), for small trailers its okay to have no backup light.
red Fog light, Vehicle rear fog light needs to go off. 21 Watts. only on left side required, both sides are okay.

Furthermore you need an indication for broken trailer turn signal bulbs. My trailer tow module does this and the frequency goes up at the vehicle (this is the reason for cutting the rear turn signal wires and re-route them over the trailer module).

I made 3 videos.
1. Showing the trailer lights with 2 to 3 Wire adaptor (red Hazard lights), sometimes you see some "missfunctionality" when the turn signal comes on for a brief moment.
2+3. Showing the final version

Lights from top to bottom:
turn signal (21W)
Brake (21W)
light with reflector (10W)
backup light (21W)
fog light (21W)

Furthermore the red reflecting triangle is required to mark a trailer.

www.querys.de/Explorer/IMG_7390.MOV
www.querys.de/Explorer/IMG_7391.MOV
www.querys.de/Explorer/IMG_7392.MOV

Good point and thank you for putting that much effort in this! But unfortunately you didn't get the full story out of the Hella Guide.
The hazard lights are mandatory. Even that important that old cars back in the 50th needed a retrofit. And only for the hazard lights, the turn signal could remain as was. (popular example is the Volkswagen Beetle - http://www.ing-lingua.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/79.jpg)

I found a longer text version of the ECE R48
www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle Testing/veh_test_pubs/Regulation 48 UNECE.pdf
page 23: Color of hazard signal - amber
page 43: hazard lights are mandatory
page 43: 6.5.9: frequency and what needs to happen if a bulb is broken.
page 45: As specified in paragraph 6.5.9. If a power-driven vehicle is equipped to draw a trailer the hazard warning signal control shall also be capable of bringing the
direction-indicator lamps on the trailer into action. The hazard warning signal shall be able to function even if the device which starts or stops the engine is in a position which makes it impossible to start the engine.

Back