• Register Today It's free!

302 swap sport

302nitrous

Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer sport
i have a 99 sport with a 5.0 in it. Swap is out of a 01 mounty, Rwd , tuner and all the fun stuff

I’ll be getting a orange sport from Florida with imaculate paint as a rolling shell. It’s a 96 or 97, can’t remember but here’s the thing

The orange sport is set up for return style fuel system

My current sport is returnless

I wanted to have a clean easy swap but how would I go about the fuel system? Would I be able to just swap over the fuel rails or am i going to run into troubles with the ecu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's wrong with your current body? Not understanding why doing this swap? It would be easier just to paint yours.

What's wrong with your current body? Not understanding why doing this swap? It would be easier just to paint yours.

My body saw a New England winter and it didn’t take so kind too it. The orange one has never seen snow.

i THINK you will have to change the fuel rail, pump, and add the line. however i also THINK you might end up having to go to a v8 computer that had a return system on it as well.

as i said, i think.

i Have a sctx4 would I be able to get a tune for it? What’s the difference in fuel pumps?

My body saw a New England winter and it didn’t take so kind too it. The orange one has never seen snow.
Is it just the body? Or frame too with issues? Could just do a body swap. If your pulling the Drivetrain just take the fuel system with it, tank and all. It's not bad with everything out of the way.

I say this as i'm in the middle of a 2000 sohc swap into a '91 currently.

Is it just the body? Or frame too with issues? Could just do a body swap. If your pulling the Drivetrain just take the fuel system with it, tank and all. It's not bad with everything out of the way.

I say this as i'm in the middle of a 2000 sohc swap into a '91 currently.
It’s just the body that’s beat, frame is great but I don’t have the space too do a body swap, or a lift for that matter. I was thinking of just swapping everything over including the returnless fuel system but I’m unsure as to what issues that may cause with the existing wiring harness. I may have to just swap everything including the harness.

Swap your drivetrain over as is and reuse your pump assembly and ignore the extra line or remove it , id just swap tanks , now if it is a 96 you may have to swap all the wiring to get along with your obd

The PCM has no idea if the pump is return or returnless, it still turns on the fuel pump exactly the same way
So swapping from return to returnless is ALL PLUMBING no electrical
no tuning needed

The PCM has no idea if the pump is return or returnless, it still turns on the fuel pump exactly the same way

i always thought that it controls the pressure for it. learn somethin every day

Like i said , your gonna have other issues if the orange one is a 96 , obd 1 , vacuum disco front diff will be in the way of a V8 oil pan , not huge problems since you already have a functional setup to rob parts from

I prefer the 96 body, the 91-97 tailgate is much more robust then the 98-01
The 96 does not have teflon pads to isolate the torsion bar adjusters, otherwise I love the 96 and 97 models they were tanks!

How would a OBDII pcm control pressure?
The pressure regulator controls that, they simply did away with the vacuum and mounted the whole apparatus in the tank. The fuel stays cooler since it never has to run to the engine bay and back. Cooler fuel = better mpg. Also less fuel lines = less metal = Ford saves $$$$ in production
I love the returnless fuel rails

Like i said , your gonna have other issues if the orange one is a 96 , obd 1 , vacuum disco front diff will be in the way of a V8 oil pan , not huge problems since you already have a functional setup to rob parts from
Pretty sure 95 was the cutoff for OBDI.

You have to decide whether to convert the system(PCM and fuel) to go with the older 96 way, or just swap parts that are already working well in the later running "donor." I'd rather have the later system if it's a choice.

I'd take the time to swap everything from the running donor. You don't need a lift, that would just make it easier to work with the engine and fuel lines etc. Gut both trucks, down to the wiring under the rugs. The simplest way is to swap the entire wiring harness(set of), and the engine/trans etc, the dash, the front and rear diffs, and the door panels if needed. The door wiring is the same I think, but it will differ by options/trim level. Changing it all would insure it all works when done.

With the tank dropped, the fuel lines are easy to get out. You also have to swap the ABS module and the front lines to match, that is required for the PCM to work properly with the VSS signal. The later trucks(98-01) have to have the matching ABS module, and the rear diff(ABS sensor(that's the VSS signal)).

That is all a lot of work, but it's easier than retrofitting an older 96/97 PCM and the 96/97 engine/trans harness which you do not have right now. You seem to have all the needed parts already, the running 99 truck.

So the best option is to just carry all the fuel plumbing over with the rest of the swap. I need too upgrade my fuel pump anyways so this would be the perfect opetubity.

I'm not saying obd has anything to do with the fuel , just that he's got more wiring issues than the standard V8 swap , ive had and worked on several 96 V6s and they were all obd 1

I'm not saying obd has anything to do with the fuel , just that he's got more wiring issues than the standard V8 swap , ive had and worked on several 96 V6s and they were all obd 1
They are both obd2

Mine all had what looked like the obd2 port but its missing pins that are under the hood in an obd1 port , kinda a ******* half and half setup , not saying a 96 cant be all the way obd2 fords bad about in between models

1996 was supposed to be the model year all cars had to roll out OBDII. An OBDII scanner worked on my 96.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard of '95 being a weird crossover year, but never '96. Is it possible you're remembering the year wrong, DelExploder?

Back