Will a full size futon pillow fit in the back of a Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a full size futon pillow fit in the back of a Sport

Speedbird

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO and Cardiff
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Perhaps a strange question...

My wife and daughter will occasionally car camp when hiking up in the rockies.
So basically, will a full size futon pillow fit in the back of a EX Sport with all the seats down flat and front seats moved forward to make a bed??

Just doing all my research before springing for one.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size is it?

i would think so overall, might curl up at the edges but i would think the space is there.

It’s about 5’9 long by 3’8 wide.
In mine 69" would be from the top of the 2nd row folded seat to the liftgate. No need to move the front seats forward from where they are now. The width would be a little tighter in that mine is 41.5" between the wheel wells. The only issue that may arise is whether you get a 2nd row bench or buckets. With buckets you would need the 2nd row console or something (plywood) to bridge the gap between the 2 buckets.

Peter

In mine 69" would be from the top of the 2nd row folded seat to the liftgate. No need to move the front seats forward from where they are now. The width would be a little tighter in that mine is 41.5" between the wheel wells. The only issue that may arise is whether you get a 2nd row bench or buckets. With buckets you would need the 2nd row console or something (plywood) to bridge the gap between the 2 buckets.

Peter
Thank you very much... with kids I’d want 2nd row bench I think.

Thanks again!

Speedbird, not directly to your question about fitting, but I do recommend you check out all of the threads about the weakness in the material on the back of the seats when folded. It's apparently really easy to break the material with concentrated weight (like a person's knee if they are crawling around). You might want to think about laying something like plywood over the cargo area before your pillow/futon to distribute the weight better.

yeah my 2013 had this happen, been very careful about my 16

Oh very good... thanks for that info. Very useful!!

It wouldn't hurt to get a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to size to go on top of the laid down seats. 1/4" won't weigh that much but will add quite a bit of strength if you are worried about cracking or breaking the seat backs. It would also be nice to have if you have to haul something that might cause damage where you could just slide it in and then place the item on top of it.

Perhaps a strange question...

My wife and daughter will occasionally car camp when hiking up in the rockies.
So basically, will a full size futon pillow fit in the back of a EX Sport with all the seats down flat and front seats moved forward to make a bed??

Just doing all my research before springing for one.

Thanks in advance
Rear of explorer is wide but issue is the 3rd row cup holders on the 2017s. 3rd row cupholders protrude about 12 inches (6 inches on each side) of rear cargo area......

Back