• Register Today It's free!

Goober Pyle works in Alabama

Georgia_Birdman

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Does anyone remember the Andy Griffith show? If so, do you remember Goober Pyle? Well his incarnate works at Lake Wedowee Auto Parts in Wedowee Alabama. I told them my HVAC wasn't working correctly. Hot air came out of the outlets no matter what the temp was set to. The only way to get anything else was to use max ac. They had my explorer for a week! Last week, I noticed I could not use my defroster because only cold air would come out. Then I found out why. Goober cut the vacuum line to the heater control valve and connected it to the vacuum line coming off the intake manifold. That closes the valve and stops hot coolant from entering the heater core. Yep! That stopped hot air coming out of the outlets, but I cannot get it now even when I want it. Look at the pics and you will see.

I urge anyone living in that part of the USA, not to use these guys.

DSCF 029.jpg

DSCF 028.jpg

DSCF 027.jpg

DSCF 026.jpg

DSCF 024.jpg

DSCF 025.jpg

Dscf1186b.jpg

Dscf1184.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the vacuum routing diagram under the hood? Hard plastic tubing could be connected together with precut rubber couplings which are available in any auto parts store. The other option is to replace the entire hard plastic vacuum line which is also available in the auto parts store. Motormite sells these parts. I don't know if you could get color coded plastic. They usually come in black but you could slip heat shrink tubing over it to color code the black plastic lines.

Yeah...you got Goobered all right! In his defense, you did say you wanted cool air out of the ducts...lol! Now, if he would have installed an electric diverter valve in conjunction with that "tee', you'd be good to go! Sorry I can't be of much help with trouble-shooting your problem other than check all vacuum lines.

Wedowee. I didn't know anyone else had been there much less know where it is. Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) Goober's cousin is from Sylacauga, another small town in Alabama.
If you had broke down in Mayberry in the 1960's, Gomer could have fixed your canooter valve on your 2 speed auto in your Falcon.
Hey Donalds, How close to Mayberry do you live ? It's near Raliegh ?

While your correcting your vacuum lines, also get a cover for your low pressure a/c port. The Sharder valves tend to leak a little (sometimes more than a little) w/out cover and when you get dirt in them and then try to check or add refrigerant they'll leak like crazy.

Wedowee. I didn't know anyone else had been there much less know where it is. Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) Goober's cousin is from Sylacauga, another small town in Alabama.
If you had broke down in Mayberry in the 1960's, Gomer could have fixed your canooter valve on your 2 speed auto in your Falcon.
Hey Donalds, How close to Mayberry do you live ? It's near Raliegh ?
Stem nc to mt airy is 2.5 hours
My grandma used to babysit Andy Griffith when he was a child she was 100percent Cherokee

While your correcting your vacuum lines, also get a cover for your low pressure a/c port. The Sharder valves tend to leak a little (sometimes more than a little) w/out cover and when you get dirt in them and then try to check or add refrigerant they'll leak like crazy.

Where can I get those covers? Would you recommend blowing them out with canned air first?

AutoZone used to carry them, though you might have to ask, as they may be behind the counter. I'm sure other auto parts stores would also have them.

Yes, good idea to blow them out before installing the covers.

For color coding: I have found it very easy to wrap sections of vacuum line with different colored electric tape, maybe every twelve inches. Easy to see the coding, inexpensive, simple to install, and doesn't fall off... worked great for me on several occasions.

Good luck with your projects.

When I took the engine apart in my daughter's PT Cruiser I had a lot of vacuum hoses to label. I used two Sharpie markers. One black and one silver. I marked the black hoses with a series of dots and the corresponding connections with the same number of dots in silver or black so that they were visible. Worked out great and was easier than labeling with masking tape and words.

This whole thread is totally unfair. Goober took Gilly Walker's car apart and reassembled it inside the courthouse. He was no mechanical slouch! :)

Boy it's been a very long time since seeing the show. I was getting Gomer and Goober mixed up.

This whole thread is totally unfair. Goober took Gilly Walker's car apart and reassembled it inside the courthouse. He was no mechanical slouch! :)

Maybe Barney's cousin Virgil then? Or Jerry from the Sultan's Favorite.

Maybe Barney's cousin Virgil then? Or Jerry from the Sultan's Favorite.

Definitely Jerry:

Gomer Pyle: In the early episodes he's just an oil checker and gas pumper, but later on he's shown as a good mechanic.

Goober Pyle: Starts off as a good shadetree mechanic (he installed a car engine in a speedboat), and after Gomer leaves for the Marines he's shown as a professional mechanic.

Cousin Virgil: A screw-up when people are watching him, but actually a talented craftsman when nobody's looking

Jerry from the Sultan's Favorite: Nice guy, but just a screw-up.

Back