SYNC 3 latest version | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right. Check the preceding few pages and you'll find the answer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right. Check the preceding few pages and you'll find the answer.

Peter

Thanks Peter. . So basically turn the WiFi off as the feature is not working yet to DL updates.. Clearly getting a false positive in the vehicle. I would not use the WiFi for anything else anyways . All good!! If there is no update listed on the Ford website then I feel confident in thinking that there really isn't any update truly available...

Thanks Peter. . So basically turn the WiFi off as the feature is not working yet to DL updates.. Clearly getting a false positive in the vehicle. I would not use the WiFi for anything else anyways . All good!! If there is no update listed on the Ford website then I feel confident in thinking that there really isn't any update truly available...
It works for uploading but not downloading. I wasn't able to successfully report my last update via the USB route but a few days later my account showed my Sync 3 version was updated so it must have done that over WiFi while my Explorer was parked at home.

Peter

It works for uploading but not downloading. I wasn't able to successfully report my last update via the USB route but a few days later my account showed my Sync 3 version was updated so it must have done that over WiFi while my Explorer was parked at home.

My last two installations were via USB so I'm okay with that method moving forward. I just found it odd that the truck was seeing an update as being available, however, nothing on the Ford site. It's all good...if there is one coming....then so be it...I can wait until then....From what I have been told is that they don't push out updates randomly, and deploy annually or particular calendar intervals... :)

Mine also was reporting an update but haven’t seen anything update. Didn’t look into it further since my wife usb been driving my Explorer over the last couple weeks.

Mine also was reporting an update but haven’t seen anything update. Didn’t look into it further since my wife usb been driving my Explorer over the last couple weeks.
Your wife usb been driving?? I think someone was typing without looking at the keys.:D

Peter

My SYNC3 system actually did an auto update through my WiFi connection this week. First time I have ever seen that anyone else get the system to auto update?

My SYNC3 system actually did an auto update through my WiFi connection this week. First time I have ever seen that anyone else get the system to auto update?
Update to V3.0?

Update to V3.0?

I logged into my Ford account, and found that there was an update available about a week or so ago. I already have v3.0, but there some kind of supplementary update. I didn't bother to use WiFi to try...I just used my USB. Not really sure what was in the update, but it seemed to be slight "letter" change from "L" at the end to "M"....Took about 15 minutes to update the system and I transmitted that change back to ford...All seems to have gone well.

Update to V3.0?

Yes,
Release 3.0.14 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies. 3.0.18093_Product. Did mine via USB and took 15 minutes. Not sure what it fixed but all is working great.

Yes,
Release 3.0.14 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies. 3.0.18093_Product. Did mine via USB and took 15 minutes. Not sure what it fixed but all is working great.
There was talk about 18093 back in June. Apparently it was available on the Mustang Forum.SYNC 3 latest version
I checked mine but the Auto Update was turned OFF so I turned it ON. My build is 18025. When I used Sync to check for updates, it did not find any. Will check it during the week to see if anything changes. If not, I use the available download via USB. Thanks.

Peter

I had to take my wife's 17 Mustang GT to the dealer and have them do the update from 2.3 to 3.0 becausse it would just scan forever but never do anything even though it had a perfect connection to my router which is only 15 feer away when the car is in the garage.
I just tried to do the wifi update on my 17 Explorer Platinum which is also on 2.3 but just like with the wife's car, it will just scan forever and do nothing.
I even tried the downloaded 3.0 thru the USB drive and even though I followed the online instructions to the letter, my Explorer simply does not even respond in any way to this downloaded file. I know the USB works since I use it all the time to play my mp3 music files.
I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have them deal with it.
:(

Depending on when you did the above, the site now seems to indicate that WiFi downloads are available with this statement; "It's possible you have updated SYNC 3 using Wi-Fi within the past week."

Peter

Update to V3.0?
No, I had v3.0 long time ago it was a single file update not sure what it was because Ford does such a bad job communicating its software updates. Yes, it does now show 18093 as the version.

In some of the recent versions early 2018 or late 2017...may be it was sync3 2.3.x or 3.0.x...don`t recall, there was supposedly a fixed fir the wifi updating.
If you are on earlier version (say mid 2017 or earlier) updating may not work over Wifi. Best way to update over usb (exfat and 32gb usb works great). I would not trust updating anything over radio channels :) but that`s just me

In some of the recent versions early 2018 or late 2017...may be it was sync3 2.3.x or 3.0.x...don`t recall, there was supposedly a fixed fir the wifi updating.
If you are on earlier version (say mid 2017 or earlier) updating may not work over Wifi. Best way to update over usb (exfat and 32gb usb works great). I would not trust updating anything over radio channels :) but that`s just me

The issue I have is that SYNC3 was sold from day 1 as a system that no longer needed owner interaction with USB update management. It was supposed to update seamlessly to the owner and it's only just started to do that with a few files. Honesty with your customers after the My Ford Touch disaster would have been much appreciated.

Sgt1411 is spot on as usual. Data point(s) for my '17 Explorer Platinum currently running V2.3. Short version - nothing works in terms of updates. Could be that I'm impatient, but doubtful due to Ford's track record...

Details - Would have thought the way this works is truly automatic. Ford releases a new software version, I pull in my garage, car connects to my Wifi network, car downloads and installs updates, car tells me this has happened next time I fire it up. I would also have expected an e-mail notification from Ford's website that an update was available (I checked and have all the right boxes checked and filled in for that to happen). The first I heard anything was thru following this thread. Thanks to all who donate their time to help others.

Here's what I think "might" be going on with the vehicle.
  1. As stated above in a few posts, the auto update feature just doesn't work for V2.3.
  2. With the auto update feature enabled, pushing the "scan for updates" icon on the screen initiates a scan.
  3. The system, already connected to the network, goes out, finds the update and installs it all without any notification on the page. The reason I'm speculating this is what happens is Ford's consistency in providing no information and horrible interfaces in the infotainment system(s). I would expect that when I push the "scan for updates" button, within seconds it would come back with one of two messages; either something like "there are no updates available as you are running the most current software version", or "we found one update for you, would you like to install it?" My system goes in to what another poster listed as scanning "forever" with the scan circle just spinning. I must admit after 5 minutes, I turned the power off, got out of the car and gave up. No idea if it's really doing anything, but wonder what would happen if I let it go for 15+ minutes to download and install? Another question I had asked early on but never heard anybody weigh in on would be does it somehow keep the power applied to the infotainment system so that the auto function could work (assuming it is capable) once I pull in the garage, shutdown, and go in for dinner? I have no idea. If there is not a provision for this to happen, it is also a fail. Just what I want to do is sit in my car while it updates in an "automatic" mode. I'm waiting for the first law suit to be filed by someone who isn't smart enough to shut the engine off in the garage while dorking around with the system and winds up hopefully surviving the ensuing CO poisoning.
  4. Lastly, I thought the thing that would save me was to get on my PC, download the update to a flashdrive, and use that in the vehicle. The good news is the website still remembers me and does display that there is a sync3 software update available. The bad news is when I click on the icon to start the process, it spins "forever". Maybe I'm not patient enough. Anybody got an idea how big the file is? My download speed is 100+ Mbps, a 10GB file (which seems monstrous for an update) would take 15 minutes to download. I haven't waited that long.
  5. Last comment just to vent a bit is one of the reasons I got rid of our '14 Edge was the insanely horrible MFT system. All, including the CEO of Ford, labeled that as a POS. I am still standing my by initial evaluation of SYNC3 as a fast POS as compared to MFT. To digress a bit, the other pieces of the tech package, like the lane departure system are WAY less than impressive which makes me wonder how the big 3 will ever survive the transition to driverless vehicles. I think tech companies will be the winners here with entries like Google, to include the fact Google is developing their own insurance "company" specifically for their vehicles. Good luck everybody with you updates.

I had to take my wife's 17 Mustang GT to the dealer and have them do the update from 2.3 to 3.0 becausse it would just scan forever but never do anything even though it had a perfect connection to my router which is only 15 feer away when the car is in the garage.
I just tried to do the wifi update on my 17 Explorer Platinum which is also on 2.3 but just like with the wife's car, it will just scan forever and do nothing.
I even tried the downloaded 3.0 thru the USB drive and even though I followed the online instructions to the letter, my Explorer simply does not even respond in any way to this downloaded file. I know the USB works since I use it all the time to play my mp3 music files.
I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have them deal with it.
:(
Can you tell me how big the update file was that wound up on your USB flashdrive and what the file name was? I can't even make that piece work (download) from my PC. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the infotainment system is always powered or not. I do know that the radio can be turned on at anytime without the key being in the area. On 2 occasions my updates were reported as being successful via WiFi but I don't know if it happened while I was driving in/out of the garage or while it was parked in there.:dunno:

Peter

Back