• Register Today It's free!

1988rangerdanger

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 ranger xlt
Have a 88 ranger with a a4ld
I bought the truck knowing it had tranny tranny issues off a old man said it was driving and just came to a stop one its to nice a truck to junk only 88k I checked fluid seemed pretty clean wouldn't move any gear pulled cooler line and had enough pressure shot about 5ft away so pump seems fine so I dropped the pan had normal friction material so I pulled the valve body on top of it was a few metal chunks size of a 1/4 of a dime I can't seem to see anything wrong with clutch bands was wondering if anybody had any ideas what I've got ahead I ordered a rebuilt valve body any other advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like something is broken inside the transmission, before wasting your money on a valve body you should just pull the transmission out and take it apart to find out what happend. I could be a failed sprag or a broken shaft, you may not need a valve body.

if there are chunks of metal above the VB then do not install a new VB expecting it to work
Something broke

Welcome to this forum! I'm sure that there are more metal fragments in the transmission. It will clog a replacement valve body. The older version of the A4LD wasn't as tough as the later versions since they upgraded certain hard parts.

Here's a pic of what I found on the
Welcome to this forum! I'm sure that there are more metal fragments in the transmission. It will clog a replacement valve body. The older version of the A4LD wasn't as tough as the later versions since they upgraded certain hard parts.

Here's a pic of what I found above the valve body idk if its the sprag or the shaft just getting some info before I pull so I know what hard parts ill need to replace

0913181108.jpg

Back