2nd gen steering upgrade | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen steering upgrade

:frustrated:I tried this upgrade and found an issue that wasn't brought up.
In order for this mod to work, I'm pretty sure you need to have a bodylift of 2" or more. I have the 4" superlift with no body lift and the angle on the flaming river joint is slightly too much. It would bind up at certain points.:frustrated: I even tried putting 2 FR joints right next to each other to handle the increased angle sort of trying to mimic the factory double cardan joint but you'd need a carrier joint down by the bend to support the shaft.
I spoke with the FR tech support to find a solution but was told it seems to need a double cardan joint which they don't offer.
So I'm out $300+ :angryfire: and ended up having to buy a new factory one (later version 98+). Works fine.
I still have the FR parts hoping to find a double cardan joint down the road if possible or in case I put a bodylift on it.
So just a heads up for everyone without a bodylift....
Could you post the part number for the 98+ factory joint you bought? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Top pic is the 98+ which is what I’m running right now.

The bottom pic is the older (better) version which I happened to find on eBay for 75 bucks brand new. :party: I’m keeping that one for a backup down the road.

Hope these are still the correct part numbers.

4136952A-0601-4A7C-AF75-5E8EAC219A19.jpeg
3632B257-97FC-426C-845D-8EAD251BAA33.jpeg

Why was this replacement nexessary? Do these wear out? How can you tell replacement is indicated?

I still have the original....

Why was this replacement nexessary? Do these wear out? How can you tell replacement is indicated?

I still have the original....
Oh heck yeah they wear out. The truck wanders and requires constant correction and I have to turn the steering wheel about 10 degrees in either direction before the steering responds.

Back