Looking to upgrade my stereo...

poker4me007

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Western Ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4wd 4.0 ohv 5spd
Here's some pic's and a web site selling the stereo Id like to get. Anyone here have one or a similar one in there truck? Also what if any problems can I expect to have installing this stereo? I have the original cassette player in there now and the cassette player eats tapes :(. I mostly like the gps feature on these stereo's. . Thanks!

Camera New 6.2inch 2din car audio Wince GPS Navigation Bluetooth car dvd player in dash FM AM RDS USB car radio Aux multimedia -in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

iME7vfN.jpg

nJIr33I.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll have to slightly modify the surround to fit a true double DIN deck in its place. Installation should be straight forward.

However, with that junky deck, I’d expect the longevity to be weak, and the navigation to be garbage. There are a few cheaper decks that are decent, but as the saying goes “you get what you pay for”.

The item linked to in your post has a Windows CE operating system. You'd be better off with and Android unit. Lots more apps could be loaded. I'm thinking of adding a tablet (old Nexus 7) or cheap double DIN android device to my 1995 Sport.

I downgraded mine. I pulled out a junkie JVC that someone had installed with wire nuts, hacked the bezel and the right hand side was totally not working. Then I went to the junkyard and bought a stock AM/FM Cassette with a good bezel for $10-. plugged it in, snapped in the bezel, 2 screws and good to go. Now I have tunes no one wants to steal !

Go to the crutchfield website, to see what will fit and what will be needed to make it fit. I haven't bought anything from crutchfield for a long time now but they are still my go to site for info.

Find what fits your car - Crutchfield

If you're intent on a Double Din, Dual (Walmart brand) has one for like $100 that's supposedly nice. I've had Sony, Kenwood and Pioneers though and preferred the Sony to the others, the Pioneer I have sounds nice but I just ain't a big fan of it for the money.

If you're intent on a Double Din, Dual (Walmart brand) has one for like $100 that's supposedly nice. I've had Sony, Kenwood and Pioneers though and preferred the Sony to the others, the Pioneer I have sounds nice but I just ain't a big fan of it for the money.

I agree, the Dual 'brand' is a good unit for the money. I have had their basic Bluetooth unit in my sport w/ amps tied to it and it sounds and functions good. I have had all forms of stereo systems - Pioneer, Sony, Eclipse, and Alpine - Rockford Fosgate, 2-4 amps and multi sub woofers. Maybe I'm just getting older, simple and less is more; aiming towards good crisp (and bass'ed) sound quality is what I prefer more these days.

This is what I have done and will do it again....literally cheap in price, but quality of sound is on par for me. Head unit w/ in-dash bass adjustment knob. Im happy with the 8" sub and its performance; however, the only wish there were more space in the vehicle to mount the components. I used the factory sub box w/ slight modifications to fit the sub in place. (deep and low (Mhz) bass'y sound)

Hope this helps.

In regards to the unit you picked...Id give it a try.

Gen2 - Simple - Sound System Upgrade

I've thought about at the price point trying a Dual vs. the Pioneer I have now since that Pioneer isn't my favorite thing in the world. I like car audio so I mess around with stuff I pick up cheap. Most recent thing I've picked up is a shallow 12" Pioneer sub, in the box, for $10. It's old and rough, box weighs at least 40 pounds though and it's LOUD for what it is, I have a friend who wants that so it'll probably go soon.

It's amazing how inexpensive some things have gotten in car audio over the years. A basic head unit with a lot of features can be had for $100 now. A 5 channel amp that can comfortably push all the mains and a reasonable sub while really fitting under the seat is below $150.

I run a Power Acoustik amp Walmart has for $100, it's the 2500D they sell, I love it, it'll run at 2 OHM and run 2 lower end 12s smooth, it'd blow the single shallow 12 I have up in a heartbeat I think.

I wonder if the stock '97 system will drive these ? Anyone used these 6" x 9" before ?

I'll ask the question a different way. Which of these would work best with the stock '97 system ?
6x9 speakers | eBay

The link you provided shows over 5,000 results in a wide price range. What is your budget? That will be the biggest decider.

I’ve adapted 6x9s in place of the factory 6x8s. The main issue with this is that you need to seal the rear of the speakers from the front. I tried a set of adapter to do this, and they made the tweeter piller hit the door grill.

6x9s will have better bass extension than a smaller speaker, at the expense of being more power hungry.

Shooting in the drake, on a budget, these would be nearish the top of my list:

(2) KICKER 43CSC6934 6x9" 900w 3-Way Car Audio Speakers CSC693 + Free Speaker ! 692752553509 | eBay

JBL Club 9630 160W RMS) 6x9" 3-Way Coaxial Car Speakers New Pair Club9630 50036328371 | eBay

POLK AUDIO DB691 6 x 9" 6 x 9 INCH 3-WAY CAR MARINE AUDIO COAXIAL SPEAKERS PAIR | eBay

All that being said, I don’t know if I’d bother with a 6x9 over the factory 6x8s.

Of the above speakers the JBL will give the richest bass, but not be as loud due to being a little more power hungry. The kickers will give the most range and volume, and the Polk is a good balance of sound quality and bass.

Sorry for being so long winded.

I've been told that you can adapt the 6x8s to 6.5s and the sound improve? Never tried it.

The Kickers are what I prefer though, I like a lot of range in music.

Yeah, you can get adapter rings to make that happen. That's my plan for the front doors of the ranger - adapter rings and a 6.5 inch component set. Back doors are already cut out to 6x9's.

6.5s will fit fairly easily. My plan when I was still upgrading the Mounty sound was to do 6.5 midbass (Kicker VRs most
Likely) speakers in the bottom of the front doors, and 5.25 components in the uppers. I was going to skip the rear door speakers altogether, they are pointless for me.

I ran my Eddie Bauer with no rear door speakers and never noticed any difference. When I get the truck finished though I'm going to rework the entire audio system, add a nicer sub etc. 6.5s in my opinion just give off a better sound, takes less power to drive them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back