Solved - Wanted: 97 Explorer or mountaineer V8 truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Wanted: 97 Explorer or mountaineer V8 truck

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
Like the title says, I'm looking for a 97 explorer or mountaineer v8 truck on the east coast within 500 miles of Virginia Beach, VA. I need a wiring complete vehicle with the computer code being XDT2 or XDT3. Build date on door jam should be 1/97 or newer to have correct computer. It does not need to run or drive (if so it's a bonus), I don't care about rust or if it's been in an accident. It can be 2wd or awd. I'm looking to transplant the wiring and hvac boxes into a project truck of mine and scrap the body. I'd pay up to $1k depending on its condition but must have a late 97 truck. Thanks for looking!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll check around here , im still looking for an 01 setup for my sport trac

I would search the Pull a Part places, they get them in here often enough that the late 97 turns up every couple of months.

I need one myself for my old Ranchero, and the 99-01 for my 99 work truck.

why does it have to be a late 97? You need P heads with no pats?
If you need a Xtd2 PCM let me know we have a few of these

I need a whole donor truck for the wiring front to back and the hvac system in my 77 F150 351w/4r70 swap. I plan on using the ENTIRE wiring headlights to taillights.

I was going to use the engine harness and computer I have and convert the glass fused interior over to an updated universal setup. Using a whole truck harness while deleting the unnecessary sounds and seems easier. I also want to convert the evaporator setup to one from an explorer and also see if I can use the air controls and hvac boxes behind the 77 dash. The replacement cloth parts I need to fix the current dash are enough to justify the entire swap. Also then when parts need to be replaced they are easier to source.

To add I don't want to deal with a PATS truck and want the updated trans range sensor wiring and external egr.

Oh and my shop is directly across from pick-n-pull here in Virginia Beach, I've been looking for months with no luck. They are waiting for me to buy one to set one out it seems......

Are there just two 97 versions, the late all using the external EGR and better DTRS sensor? I'm still not sure about the range sensor, I thought it didn't change until 1998. I want to use the digital DTRS of course, if it began in mid 97 that's great.

I sent you a message with info of one 280 miles from you. $1200-

Ive seen it, it's an early 97 unfortunately.

What do you need ? a late '97 without being a '98 ? Is that some king of "GoldieLocks" time for the best 5.0 during the 1997-200? run ??

Are there just two 97 versions, the late all using the external EGR and better DTRS sensor? I'm still not sure about the range sensor, I thought it didn't change until 1998. I want to use the digital DTRS of course, if it began in mid 97 that's great.

Yes the harness in my 01 ranger is from a late 97 with the XDT2 pcm, another reason why I want this specific harness. There are 2 versions and the latest has external EGR and the newer range sensor. I've got the early 97 SLL4 pcm and engine harness here that I was going to use but I need to find a whole harness by buying a whole truck. I also got an extra XDT2 and XDT3 pcm and know I could rewire it to work but I still need the rest of the truck harness. Since there had to be 250,000 of these out there between explorer and mountaineers I'm going to be picky.

What do you need ? a late '97 without being a '98 ? Is that some king of "GoldieLocks" time for the best 5.0 during the 1997-200? run ??

Its basically a 98 without PATS keys and Its the easiest harness to swap with. I'd prefer a 99-01 truck if I wanted to have an explorer or mountaineer because of the body

that's what I gathered after I re-read your post...

Picked up a 97 Eddie bauer 2wd v8 truck today. It's ragged out but runs and does doughnuts lol. I'll mark this solved.

Heck yes!! Miles?

Low miles are getting MUCH MUCH harder to find.
I buy up every single one within 300 miles
So far I have a 104K and a 120K along with a few 150-160K donors
104K is going into a 01 Sport trac right now!!

The dash says 154k but it looks like 300k. Paid $500 for it and drove it on the trailer. Only downfall it has the message center that will need to be bypassed out.

It has the "smoke" window tint instead of the mirror tint, it was the way I knew it was what I wanted.

Heck yes!! Miles?

Low miles are getting MUCH MUCH harder to find.
I buy up every single one within 300 miles
So far I have a 104K and a 120K along with a few 150-160K donors
104K is going into a 01 Sport trac right now!!

I guess I shouldn't tell you I just saw a '98 2wd V8 down here with only 57k on it. Original.

Or the '97 V8 AWD EB with 99k for $1250:eek:

If I bring another explorer home, I better have divorce papers with it:nono:

Back