2007 V8, Throttle Body vs just TPS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 V8, Throttle Body vs just TPS

centex99

Reaction score
City, State
Buda, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 EB
So I think I'm going to replace the complete throttle body with a Techsmart... I've had a few situations where the truck just won't start such as this weekend. It got a P2104 and P2111 flag. I disconnect/reconnected both the stepper motor and TPS and the problem seems to have gone away (at least temporarily).
Does anyone think I should save the money and just replace the TPS? Truck has ~ 185k miles on it... 4.6L V8 (2007).
Also, does it have an IAC??? Parts catalogs say it does, but I'm not entirely sure where it is. I could maybe replace that as well...

So I think I'm going to replace the complete throttle body with a Techsmart... I've had a few situations where the truck just won't start such as this weekend. It got a P2104 and P2111 flag. I disconnect/reconnected both the stepper motor and TPS and the problem seems to have gone away (at least temporarily).
Does anyone think I should save the money and just replace the TPS? Truck has ~ 185k miles on it... 4.6L V8 (2007).
Also, does it have an IAC??? Parts catalogs say it does, but I'm not entirely sure where it is. I could maybe replace that as well...
@centex99
If the TB has a motor driving the throttle plate, which is what you describe, the TB has NO IAC. Idle control is strictly via the motor. It's called "Drive By Wire". Ford calls it "Electronic Throttle Body". There IS, however, a Throttle Position Sensor, and it's VERY IMPORTANT! You might recall early 2000s, several Japanese cars with newly-designed DBW systems went full-throttle suddenly, people crashed into things, injuries, etc. No average driver can think to kill ignition under those circumstances.

So Ford fail-safe designed their TPS. Instead of just a variable resistor, it is 2 resistors, whose "wipers" move in opposite directions when the throttle plate moves. That generates two equal but opposite polarity voltages. If those voltages EVER go unequal, PCM will generate "Forced Engine Idle" (no go). imp

Back