4.0 ohv running issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv running issues

Hmm never had that problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I tried unplugging o2 sensorsa dnd driving. Exact same codes, even with the left bank unplugged it just says rich. With right bank unplugged it doesn't give a code.

So I investigated a little farther and I'm pretty sure I found the problem....

IMG_20180925_142311.jpg
IMG_20180925_142258.jpg

I'm no electronics expert, but playing the "find the difference" game shows me one thing off from the rest. No idea what that little guy does, but it's probably the cause of my problems

There are a few threads with EEC ECM capacitors leaking. You might get a new capacitor and try soldering it in place.

If you do have it repaired use Panasonic capacitors
DON'T cheep out

If you do have it repaired use Panasonic capacitors
DON'T cheep out
Just stepping the voltage rating up a bit will take care of any future issues IMO.

It will but it will throw other things off unless you do all of the caps at once
I think the heat got it over the year's
And it won't matter if he don't use high quality caps

Not sure what the valve is on them

Say 25 micro fared at 25v
Up to
Step it up to 30 v
After that kinda asking for trouble on other components tolerances

I wonder if you can use some ceramic caps they won't fail from heat

So just an update....

drove by his house today to see him pouring gas on the truck and lighting it on fire....hahahha

Oh jd lol. Almost, almost.

I have no idea what cap is in it now, but I took it to a shop, they had a replacement for it and said the board was good still after cleaning off the leakage. He soldered the new one on for me.

So I got it back together and everything's running perfectly. I ran out of time yesterday but I still need to check for codes to be sure. But it drove like it was back to normal.

I appreciate everyone's input, I pretty much tested everything I could test til I figured out it was the ecm. And shout-out to jd for helping along the way outside of this thread.

I'm wondering if I have a similar issue on my '97 4.0 SOHC. Every morning that I start up the truck, the PCM acts as if it has to re-learn. Could it be a bad capacitor ?

It could be
just take a look

Very easy to remove if you do post a pic of both sides of the board ill look it over
But it should be pretty easy to tell
Sometimes the leads on the caps themselves break not in your case probably just corrosion
If it is just carefully clean with a q tip and contract cleaner sprayed on the q tip

I think the capacitor issues stoped in 96 but it could of been 97 for some Fords.

If your computer has electrolytic capacitors
Then this fault may still happen

Just my 2¢

I'm wondering if I have a similar issue on my '97 4.0 SOHC. Every morning that I start up the truck, the PCM acts as if it has to re-learn. Could it be a bad capacitor ?
Worth a shot to check. The gem behind the radio might control that kinda stuff also. I know it deals with a few things.

Back