P1309 code & OD stuck on, after engine/trans swap to OBDII OS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1309 code & OD stuck on, after engine/trans swap to OBDII OS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, I think the 99-up 2 pin sensor configuration has a smaller 1/4" or so metal flag.

You might just clean that one up real good and see if it makes a difference for you. The rusty ground connection and debris floating around inside can't be good things.Be careful not to snag the flag on anything you stick down in there.
Also clean the sensor face with a rag to get rid of any film

Yup yup.
Well, that explains the tiny flag vs this half flag. I planned on cleaning it out.

Is it weird, that now I know this engine was put back together, without cleaning or checking, all the parts, and I want to break it down, just to do that? Seriously giving me the sweats thinking about it. WTH else could be wrong or fail unexpectedly, due to weak sauce incompetence? How many other parts was dropped, and a shoulder shrug given before being installed?

Ordered Motorcraft replacement sensor and MC coil pack on rock auto. They maybe slow, charge for shipping, but they beat the pants off any local parts store.

Swapped out the old pass side coil pack with a new Motorcraft pack, and a new Motorcraft CMP sensor. Cleaned out the Cam synch cavity before install.

The pack I replaced had a different part #, then the Dr side. I looked it up, and it is used for a bunch of diff engines, but mainly the 4.6L in F-150's. Probably doesn't matter much at all, but it was swapped out by that shop that did the install, or the previous owner did it. Who knows.

Old pack

old 5L coil pack.jpg

New pack, matching the Dr side pack

new 5L coil pack.jpg

Ran it up to 190*, revved it a few times, and seems fine. No Cel. Shut off, restarted a couple times, no Cel. Checked the scan gauge for codes, nothing. Now the battery has been disconnected for a while, so the codes have been re-set, and this doesn't mean it is fixed yet. Idle jumps around +/- 50 rpms. Ign jumps from 18-20 at idle, Volts stay constant at 14.3. Idle Load is at 32. Wouldn't give a FPR reading for some reason.

Taking it for a ride, and stopping to turn off, and restart a few times along the way. The 1309 code always went away after battery disconnect, but always came back on, after a few re-starts. We shall see.

I sure hope you nailed it. Sounds like this could be the fix.

Took it for a test run. After the 3rd re-start, the 1309 code is back, and Cel is on again.

I just can't take much more of this. I wasn't confident throwing parts at it would fix it.

This will take care of it permanently tho....

Ex on fire.jpg

:(

:censored:

For the odd shifting, has the range sensor(DTRS) been replaced, and was it properly set when installed? That's where the shift cable attaches, so that was taken off when the trans was rebuilt.

I'd want to get a look at the valve body, out and check some valves which should be different if it had a TransGo kit in it. We can dig up an instruction manual to go by, to find out if it has a kit in it. You'd like to assume the builder did it right, but given the evidence so far, I'd rather find it was left untouched.

Couldn't say about the trans sensor or the valve body. Haven't touched it yet since returned from the shop.

I have the transgo pdf install doc and a 1 hr install video for it.

Those issues are going to have to wait, until this 1309 code is solved, and the overdrive not shutting off is fixed.

Was hoping the code was the issue with the ecm not allowing the O/D to shut off. I still have to remove the cluster, and replace the bulb. Just haven't got to it yet, as this engine code is priority right now.

Going to do a data log and send it to a tuner and see if he can spot anything amiss.

I'd bet a couple of the problems will turn out to be wiring, like a bad connection or crossed wires. Do what you can to check continuity on the OD switch wiring, and the CMP wiring. Look for any damage to the wires, and at the connectors look for any damage or corrosion.

DTC Code: P1309
Description: Misfire Monitor Failure
Probable Causes:
  1. Sensor or solenoid faulty
  2. Connector terminal contact is damaged or corroded
  3. Wire harness - Check harness for correct voltage, open, short to ground or short to voltage
  4. Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
  5. Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
Could be possible, since they cut into this, and modified it. Where at? Who the heck knows, they still haven't attempted to contact me and offer any help.
What are the odds the donors PCM is bad? Should I attempt to source another? The unresponsive OD, could also be related to this??

I'd try to jump the circuit from the switch to where that leads to, which tests that section.

Sitting at the dealership while they try to get the rig to throw the 1309 code. For some reason, today of all days, it decided not to come on.

This rig hates me I think.

Sitting at the dealership while they try to get the rig to throw the 1309 code. For some reason, today of all days, it decided not to come on.

This rig hates me I think.

sounds about right

So far, they say that the firing order is messed up. When they pull wire #1, it's reading as #7, and when they pulled # 7, it reads as #6.

Tech asked if it was the ho 302, as that firing order is different. Assured him it's not.

They are fighting to get tdc on it, because of the skid plate. Told them that why it's here as I couldn't do this by myself. Lol

Sad part is they are 1.5 hrs into it, and haven't pulled the synchro yet.

This bill, is going to hurt.

No code return after the test drive. Tech said it was lucky it ran like it did, with the cam being way off, and the firing order set as it was.

Glad I followed my gut, and did not use this thing, over the last 9 months. Sucked to have it as a glorified lawn ornament all this time, sucked cancelling 2 vacations, but it was the right choice to wait this out.

The job was 2.5 hrs, the quote was 1.5 hrs, but they charged for 2 hrs. Extra time for using the diagnostic tool, and resetting the fire order as it should be.

After I source a working OD button/harness (1pc), we shall see if that is indeed the issue. I am hoping that the one installed with the engine swap was just a bad one.

Good to hear that's sorted out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on the od issue...

No good news came out of last weekend trying to figure this one out.

Instead, it went farther south. Bad wires, cut wires, and even burned wires was found in the swap harness installed.

The rig will be heading to a shop for a complete harness do over. This project will take some time, to go over everything previously done, and the proper corrections made with OEM parts, by a certified installer.

It will be a long time before the next update here, and this is the heads up. Rig will be down once again over the winter, and hopefully back in biz by spring.

Back