List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

This is an interesting thread, question: does seem to happen in the more North/Eastern states?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, just got word that Ford approved me for a new hood.
Dealer said they will order it and they have the new instructions that include the proper prep/paint procedures as well as the extra sealant at panel seams. I assume they will paint it well before I bring the Explorer in and it should be a quick hood swap.

We'll see how it progresses...

Also again, if anyone who has had the hood replaced can jump in and say whether they had more issues... I would appreciate it.

I have seen comments from those who had the repair done that it reappears but it seems that there are few comments from those that had a replacement hood. I hope that is a good sign that this is the best way to correct this issue....

New hood replacement here, and the issue has not returned. They had it for a couple of days. Hope that gives you some peace of mind.

Also again, if anyone who has had the hood replaced can jump in and say whether they had more issues... I would appreciate it.
The devil is always in the details. Without knowing how long it has been since the repair, it will be hard to glean any real insight.

The hood on my 16 began showing signs of bubbling after ~2 years from new. It was repaired and repainted several months ago. I am assuming the problem will likely take some time to return. Maybe a year or two? Maybe less?

The hood on my 17 is about 2 years from new and does not seem to be showing any signs of bubbling.

This is an interesting thread, question: does seem to happen in the more North/Eastern states?

Again, this is a contamination/prep issue from the factory. Climate has nothing to do with it nor does whether the vehicle is garaged our exposed to the elements 24/7.

New hood replacement here, and the issue has not returned. They had it for a couple of days. Hope that gives you some peace of mind.

Thanks for all the info.... My dealer moved so fast my head was spinning...

Just to recap... saw a small area and decided to have the dealer look at it on Monday... they took pics and sent them to Ford. Got a call Tuesday the new hood is approved. Got a followup call on Thursday that they got the hood on Wednesday and primed/painted/sealed it per spec on Thursday and it would be ready for install on Friday (today) stop by any time and it will take about 45 minutes to install... got there at 10 am and drove out at 11am with a new hood and perfect match.

I asked if they had the issue return with any new hood, and they said none since the new prep procedures but time will tell but don't worry, all their collision paint work is guaranteed for the life of ownership to the owner at the time of repair....

Great dealer customer service... maybe it is also that I have all my maintenance done there.... they know they are the only ones I let work on my car.

So time will tell but starting to feel more comfortable because the old hood was only going to get worse so a new hood is the best alternative.

Thanks again

The devil is always in the details. Without knowing how long it has been since the repair, it will be hard to glean any real insight.
According to his previous post on the 2016 Explorer, it went into the shop May 29th of this year.

Peter

Again, this is a contamination/prep issue from the factory. Climate has nothing to do with it nor does whether the vehicle is garaged our exposed to the elements 24/7.
Good to know, thanks

Hi. I own a 2015 ford explorer limited. I absolutely love the vehicle. Recently I noticed all along the edge of the good, the paint is bubbling. I spoke with ford directly and they said to take it to the local ford dealership to see if it's still in warranty.
What is that? Really? The vehicle has 82,000 on it as I travel for work. A three year old vehicle should not be bubbling!!!
I will take it in when I get home on Thursday but this is NOT ok. Any suggestions as to what my course of action is? From what I am reading in the internet is that they are only coveting the vehicles that still have warranty on them. I can not afford an attorney and I need this vehicle to last more then 3 years and look presentable! HELP!

This is a link to the comprehensive paint bubbling thread:
Hood Paint bubble issue only

The link takes you to the last page, where the most current discussion is going on.

Thanks for info...jist getting started with this issue.
One person on here says there is a 5 year warranty on the vehicles. Can s9meone tell me how to get that info also. I want to be prepared when I get there! I am currently out of state for business so won't return to home town till mid Nov. So am going to local dealership. Thanks everyone.

5yr started for 2016 model years.. some have been able to get it covered but most not outside the b2b. You have zero warranty on any part of the vehicle.. I do not see Ford picking up the cost at 82k at all.

Hi. I own a 2015 ford explorer limited. I absolutely love the vehicle. Recently I noticed all along the edge of the good, the paint is bubbling. I spoke with ford directly and they said to take it to the local ford dealership to see if it's still in warranty.
What is that? Really? The vehicle has 82,000 on it as I travel for work. A three year old vehicle should not be bubbling!!!
I will take it in when I get home on Thursday but this is NOT ok. Any suggestions as to what my course of action is? From what I am reading in the internet is that they are only coveting the vehicles that still have warranty on them. I can not afford an attorney and I need this vehicle to last more then 3 years and look presentable! HELP!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I agree this is an issue that should not be behappening to a 3 year old vehicle. There is also a post above on the same issue on a 2016. As blwnsmoke mentioned, the warranty on aluminum panels was extended to 5 years, unlimited mileage beginning with the 2016 model year. I'm afraid that you will likely be picking up the cost of any repair unless you can convince either Ford or the dealership to chip in on this known problem.

Peter

Curious as well. I noticed that my paint is bubbling on the edge of the hood under the 3M film (purchased and installed by the dealership). I would take a pic, but it's at the dealership being looked at. They are not sure it will be covered or not by Ford. Which I don't understand as it's just over a year old and under the 3M film they installed.

Curious as well. I noticed that my paint is bubbling on the edge of the hood under the 3M film (purchased and installed by the dealership). I would take a pic, but it's at the dealership being looked at. They are not sure it will be covered or not by Ford. Which I don't understand as it's just over a year old and under the 3M film they installed.
The 3M film won't prevent this from happening since it is from the inside out. You are covered for this for 5 years, unlimited mileage as mentioned in your Warranty Guide. Perhaps you should mention that to the dealer. Not sure about the 3M film though.

Peter

Hi cbx1047,

I recommend bringing your Explorer to your dealership so these issues can be promptly addressed. I can look into ways to assist as well; send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll do some research.

Crystal
I am looking to purchase a 2016 -2017 ford explorer and every single one that we have seen has the bubbling on the hood. Seen it on 2018's even. Ones with lots of miles and ones with low miles on them. If this issue has been going on apparently for sometime, why hasn't Ford addressed this issue and resolved it? If a vehicle is Certified and has this issue, why doesn't the dealership fix it before its sold. No they tell us once we buy it then they will fix it if the owners brings it to their attention only. I want to see it fixed before Im thinking about buying it to see if its going to look crappy or not. We are now looking at Expeditions cause of the issue with the hood on the Explorers. We really like the look of the Explorer but don't want the hassle with the paint issue.

I noticed the bubbling a few months after I took delivery on my MY2016 Sport.
My hood was also wrapped in 3M clear vinyl from the dealership and had bubbles appear underneath.

The paint on my 2015 Explorer with 28K miles has also started to peel. It is peeling at the lip and it is starting from under the hood. The vehicle is only used for family outing and always parked in our garage. I called Ford and they told me to take it to my dealer, which I did, but was later told that there is nothing they can do about it. I debated buying between a Honda Pilot or Explorer and decided to by American and this is what I get. I've had 4 Japanese car before and never had any such issue, in fact I'm still driving my 1998 Corolla today. I am waiting for my son to make a video for youtube and then will take it in to trade for a Honda.

The paint on my 2015 Explorer with 28K miles has also started to peel. It is peeling at the lip and it is starting from under the hood. The vehicle is only used for family outing and always parked in our garage.........
With this issue it doesn't matter where it is parked or where/how you drive. It could happen sitting in a showroom, provided it was there long enough. It is very unfortunate that Ford won't be pro active and fix this issue. They are aware of it since the warranty was changed and increased to 5 years, unlimited mileage on newer Explorers.

Peter

I am looking to purchase a 2016 -2017 ford explorer and every single one that we have seen has the bubbling on the hood. Seen it on 2018's even. Ones with lots of miles and ones with low miles on them. If this issue has been going on apparently for sometime, why hasn't Ford addressed this issue and resolved it? If a vehicle is Certified and has this issue, why doesn't the dealership fix it before its sold. No they tell us once we buy it then they will fix it if the owners brings it to their attention only. I want to see it fixed before Im thinking about buying it to see if its going to look crappy or not. We are now looking at Expeditions cause of the issue with the hood on the Explorers. We really like the look of the Explorer but don't want the hassle with the paint issue.
If the dealer 'fixes' it, they will likely just repaint that section or the whole hood and that really won't address the issue. The hood has to be replaced as mentioned in this thread. I don't know if the Expedition has an aluminum hood or not. If they do, you may run into the same problem. Also, see my post above.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My new hood is in and taking the Sport in on Monday to get the old one replaced

Back