• Register Today It's free!

A9 SD card

toad350

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT ecoboost
Hello all. Called the local Ford house to buy a new A9 sad card for my nav and they told me all they had was then A8 and didn’t know when they would get the new ones! I have seen the A9 on Amazon but hey description does not include it being good for anything past 2015. Will it work? Anyone else having problems getting one from the dealer? Are the cards from Amazon ford products are knock offs?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine of e Bay. As a matter of Fact stand by for PM.

Also got mine.from eBay.
Haven't been on a road trip yet, but the card seems to be legit, as it is registers as A9 within MFT.

In general the A X (X= version # The A number is one ahead of the year release. Example A4 came out in 2013 A5 2014, A6 2015, etc... A9 is the latest and greatest. They should work across all SYNC MFT fleets/sub fleets. Perfect Example I had a 2015 Expedition. I was able to use the A9 card for the 2014 SHO AND 2015 Expedition. The A9 card has been out since around April. check with the dealer and ask. All They have in stock is the A8 or all they show available is A8 Two different scenarios.

A8: Not in Stock that is not a big deal you can get them online Amazon eBay I think once I did the Ford website but usually eBay or Amazon
A8 Not Available, again their computer inventory system might need update.

Either way the eBay ones should work at least the previous ones I purchased did.

To view photos of the A9 You want to see black card body White Label. There should be a small 45 degree cut in the body upper right hand corner. Grey locking tab left side just left of the SYNC title. Bar should be UP.

Red Arrow for the insertion...redundant because the contacts are on that side and only goes in one way.....again ask the lawyers who probably had to write them after several improper installations but I digress.

SYNC With a small black bar to the left.. That at least in my online/paper manual publication world indicates a change to that section until a permanent revision to the manual.

below is the real critical stuff.

GM5T-19H449-AC...….black normal font

USA/CAN...…………….black normal font

A9...……………………..RED BOLD PRINT

READ ONLY...………….RED normal print and a red bar underneath that..

A few members found that when purchasing from eBay or Amazon, the S/D card did not work. The cards were copies being passed off as the genuine ones and charged as such or slightly less. The following link refers and tells how to spot a copy after you've bought it. SYNC2 Map Update - Version A8

Peter

What I noticed with A9 update is that maps are now rendering painfully slow, especially after scale change the screen is freezing up to 20 sec before it changes something!

I got one on eBay. It gave me some issues at first, not recognizing the card, but after shutting the engine off and starting it again, its been fine.

What I noticed with A9 update is that maps are now rendering painfully slow, especially after scale change the screen is freezing up to 20 sec before it changes something!

What MFT OS version are you on?

Used to have 3.8. recently updated to 3.10

I'm still on 3.8 and haven't noticed any unusual lag.
Can you try going back down to 3.8?

I'm on 3.10 and it's working fine. Try doing a master reset.

On 3.8 it was even slower

I've been using an Ebay bought A9 on MFT 3.8 for the past two weeks and have not experienced any lags.

So A9 is the latest release?
I just received letter from Ford saying that my Navigation system needs an update. I updated my Nav Data Card back in May, 2018 prior to a cross country trip in June (moved from NJ to CO).
I haven't gone out to check the card yet, but Packing Slip shows "GM5T-19H449-AC Ford Lincoln Sync2 AP NA/CA SD" under the Description column.
Is this update going to be the same one that I already have?
Thanks for any info.
Mark

Hi Mark. I'm not aware that Ford sends out notifications regarding Navigation S/D cards. There is no requirement to be using the latest cards that I'm aware of. I haven't updated any of the cards I've had in my vehicles except once when a new version of MFT was release on my 2011 and the card was provided free of charge. Did they send you a new card? A9 is the latest and that is what the numbers you mentioned refer to.

Peter

A9: Canada/US
B9: US/Mexico

Correct A9 was available sometime around mid April of this year. The NAV will work without updates but map database might not show updated addresses, new business, new streets etc...

Perfect Example and those of you in the DFW Metroplex will know what I am talking about. Nebraska Furniture Mart. When I got here in 2015 with the A6 card address wasn't recognized. Addresses in the immediate area but the physical address for NFM was not. Basically I entered the nearest street that A6 did recognize and visual for the rest. When I ordered the A7 card in 2016 the new address was in the database. Pricing at least through the NAVTEQ site is outrageous but you can usually find them on Amazon or eBay cheaper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct A9 was available sometime around mid April of this year. The NAV will work without updates but map database might not show updated addresses, new business, new streets etc...

Perfect Example and those of you in the DFW Metroplex will know what I am talking about. Nebraska Furniture Mart. When I got here in 2015 with the A6 card address wasn't recognized. Addresses in the immediate area but the physical address for NFM was not. Basically I entered the nearest street that A6 did recognize and visual for the rest. When I ordered the A7 card in 2016 the new address was in the database. Pricing at least through the NAVTEQ site is outrageous but you can usually find them on Amazon or eBay cheaper.

I'm waiting for the next update (A10?).
I moved into a new development in June, and my street is still not in the A9 update, let alone my house number on the street.
But then Google Earth shows my home in the middle of a pasture and Apple Maps shows the roads graded, but no pavement or houses yet.
Mark

Back