My 94 Won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 94 Won't start

Big Tee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
She just turns over and don't start. I believe it could be a fuel problem since when I squirt starting fluid she runs for a second...til it runs out of ether/gas going in the intake. I've read alot here and learned about the inertia and finally found it after ripping most of the carpet out! Lol. It is not popped up and the fuel relay checks good, switching the A/C relay out. What can I check next? I read there is some kinda switch between the engine and fuel filter but can't find it. I want to check everything before dropping the tank and putting in a pump. This thing is driving me nuts!! Lol

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is. If you dont have a gauge, press the shrader valve in, you should get a squirt of fuel if you have pressure. You do have adequate fuel in the gas tank?

No start = fuel, spark, air

You have already determined you have air and spark because it runs for a second on starting fluid

So along with the fuel pump relay there is a fuse, check the fuel pump fuse
When you turn the key to run there the fuel pump should come on for a second or two, put your ear near the tank and listen for it. Also the PCM and Fuel pump relays should both click.
Before you do the final tank drop I always disconnect the fuel pump power feed (frame rail above drivers rear tire) and check for power from the truck with a multimeter. Then with a jumper box or car battery I put power to the pump and see if it comes on. Doing this has saved me from dropping alot of tanks because you can determine if the pump is the issue or the power feeding the tank from the truck
Most of the time:
Check for fuel pressure at the rail
Check for fuel in the tank (gauge or tap on the side of the tank)
Check intertia switch, relay and fuse
Check for power at tank
Apply power to pump

After all these I usually end up dropping the tank and replacing the pump
Use a GOOD PUMP like Bosch, Ford, Walbro, otherwise you will be doing this again
Always install a new strainer and fuel filter with a new pump

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what the pressure is. If you dont have a gauge, press the shrader valve in, you should get a squirt of fuel if you have pressure. You do have adequate fuel in the gas tank?

Thanks, I don't have a fuel gauge and don't know where the shrader valve is. I did find what looked similar to a tire valve @ the intake and manifold on the right side. Yes the gauge dont work but did put 5 gallons in just in case.

No start = fuel, spark, air

You have already determined you have air and spark because it runs for a second on starting fluid

So along with the fuel pump relay there is a fuse, check the fuel pump fuse
When you turn the key to run there the fuel pump should come on for a second or two, put your ear near the tank and listen for it. Also the PCM and Fuel pump relays should both click.
Before you do the final tank drop I always disconnect the fuel pump power feed (frame rail above drivers rear tire) and check for power from the truck with a multimeter. Then with a jumper box or car battery I put power to the pump and see if it comes on. Doing this has saved me from dropping alot of tanks because you can determine if the pump is the issue or the power feeding the tank from the truck
Most of the time:
Check for fuel pressure at the rail
Check for fuel in the tank (gauge or tap on the side of the tank)
Check intertia switch, relay and fuse
Check for power at tank
Apply power to pump

Use a GOOD PUMP like Bosch, Ford, Walbro, otherwise you will be doing this again

First, where can I find the fuel pump fuse? I dont hear the fuel pump or and relays clicking. Thanks for the fuel pump power feed and location, I knew there had to be something like that and I will check it for voltage....Hope I dont find any! Lol. Great idea about the jumper! Thanks for all the info!! I'll let y'all know.:)

The "tire valve" you found is the fuel rail shrader valve, that is the port for checking fuel pressure

The fuel pump fuse is #18 mini 20 amp fuse in the under hood power dist box:
:
2009-09-04_174748_fuseU.png

I've had issue with relays failing. Specifically the fuel pump one. You could try just swapping the fuel pump relays with one of the others. Any of them in the power distribution box EXCEPT the PCM Power relay would serve as a decent test. You can have someone turn on the ignition to the run position while you listen at the relays. When the ignition is turned on you should be able to hear both the PCM and fuel pump relays click. The PCM relay feeds the fuel pump relay, so if the PCM relay is dead, the fuel pump won't turn on.

I replaced my fuel pump in September 2017 with a Carter pump. And guess what? 1 year later, I am getting intermittent no-starts. So I slapped my pressure gauge on it...28 psi at idle, 38 with no vac on the FPR. I'm thinkin that's a little on the weak side. Engine is chugging a little at 28 psi too. Of course these never go bad on you, unless you have a full tank of gas in there.

Anyone know the easiest method to remove about 15+ gallons from the tank? Using this little pressure relief hose is not gonna cut it. Last year, I used a thick piece of plywood and two jacks to lower a mostly-full tank, but that really sucked. What are you guys using to get most of the gas out of the tank before dropping?

Back