Rear end swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end swap

Chris1957

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB explorer
will a 4th gen rear diff with the 2 front mounting bolts fit in my 04 with the single front bolt?

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put in a 4th gen, rear in my 03, I only used 3 mounting bolts. There is modifications you have to make to make rear work.
It has been 7 years since I did swap. so my memory is foggy. but I remember taking the spider and ring gear out to press on an exciter ring for the abs sensor, and I had to drill like 1' hole in pumpkin for the abs sensor.
I did post swap on forum years ago

Great news. My 04 has 4wheel abs so no rear diff tone ring or sensor to worry about. So it should go in with just 3 bolts.

Thanks
Chris.

Check on top of your pumpkin and see if there is a sensor, I also have an 07 and the exciter rings are on the axles.
but my 03 is 2 wheel drive and the exciter ring was in the pumpkin and my 07 is all wheel drive and exciter are on the axles

04 was the switch to 4 wheel abs 4 sensor. I pulled the donor today and put an old whiny 02 in its place so I could still move it. Mounted fine. I will use my old rear cover(if it fits) because the drain and fill plugs are different

Back