• Register Today It's free!

Shock replacements

Dave98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOC
Are any of the shock deals out there worth the effort? I see Monroe, KYB, TRQ and AM's out there for around $100 for a set of four. I have 15 yr old Billsteins currently and they are shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, but if you off-road you might prefer the Monroe's.

I do a little off roading and back street bouncing around. Are you referring to Monroe sensatrac?

I bought 4 new motorcraft from the rock

I finally got around to replacing my shocks yesterday. My rears had to be orginal. If so, 212,x.. on them.
20181006_112651.jpg
I replaced them with these:

Gabriel - Mobile Product Search | Detailed Product Page

And yea, it did raise the rear up by 1 inch or so. They may not be as 'strong' as the Monroes but I hardly tow and 80% of the time the X has no load. So I believe once they settle, I'll be at factory height. Still have the gangster lean but I'll correct that with a TT once I'm done with the sway bar stuff.

The fronts (I assume) where replaced at one point as the shock color was red. Guess they were Gabriel Guardians. They had no rebound to them when I yanked them out. Their replacements are Gabriel ProGuards.

All and all the X rides way better. I still go some body roll but as I said, I got sway bar work to do and I hope that when I replace every piece of hardware, it will eliminate most of it.

I like the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, but if you off-road you might prefer the Monroe's.

I went with some "new older stock" KYB Gas-A-Just off eBay. I didn't buy my Explorer new, but I would think that the ride after replacement is comparable to when it was new with OEM shocks...

I got these about 2 months ago. Better then the old stuff, but the ride is still very bouncy over things like RR tracks & speed bumps.
I'm not sure it it's just the suspension or not. I'm used to the 1st gens. I think the 1st gens handled & rode much better.

I bought 4 new motorcraft from the rock
How much were those?

I've got a pair of the Monroe Sensatracs on the front of my 99. They have 75k on them and have been a nice almost firm shock. I like that for my street use. They are not really strong like an off road shock can be, or soft like many cheap shocks are.

Thanks, that's a decent price for OEM shocks.

Does any one have a good recommendation for shocks and towing a pop up camper with a 1995 XLT ? I am running Bilsteins now and they are stiff but I loaded her up for a week of tent camping with a rocket box, a hitch extender and the cargo full and she was sagging more than I expected even with new leafsprings. May be I expect too much ? Any info is appreciated thanks. We want to upgrade to popup camper.

What's your tongue weight?

You might want to replace your rear shocks with some Monroe Load Levelers that have coil springs on them.
s-l1600.jpg

I have some version of those on my 98 that I haul the mail with. They were on it already and the external coil springs do support more weight in the back. It makes the back set up a little higher than stock.

Be sure your towing with a ball connection that makes the tongue level, and the load is evenly weighted over its axles.

My rule of thumb when towing is that tongue weight should not exceed 50 lbs. If it's too heavy the trailer will wander around at speed and put too much weight on the ball hitch/rear of your vehicle.

Actually, tounge weight should be around 10% of what the trailet is rated for. So if your trailer is rated for 3500lbs, your tounge weight should not exceed 350lbs.

BTW: Dont exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle. Refer to your owner's manual.

I recently replaced my front shocks with Rancho 5000 and it's a little too firm, not the soft luxurious ride I was hoping for with so much wheel travel available. At 70mph on the interstate the front will shudder a bit when going over a decent sized crack. Not sure if this is shock valving or if maybe the control arm is contacting the rubber bump stop. Tires aren't the best either, Dextero DHT2.

What shock will provide the most Cadillac....err....Lincoln like ride? I do realize this is a truck but will use her mostly on paved roads and not looking for sports car feel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That shudder you have, I have it to at the same speed. Its can be a few things, but i dont think shocks is one of them. I replaced mine in the last thirty days and I still have that shudder, and I'm using Gabriel ProGuards up front and Gabriel Load Adjusting Shocks in the rear. So I have a really firm ride. I checked my ball joints and control arm bushings and found out it all needs to be replaced. You might have the same issue. And if you replace all those parts and still have a shudder, it may be one of the axle/hub nut has backed off a little.

As far as having a Lincoln like ride, OEM style shocks may be the way to go. Rockauto had Motorcraft shocks for about 30 bucks a piece. for both front and rear.

Back