• Register Today It's free!

Power running board motor

2010trip

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited
The driver side power running board on my 2010 Limited has finally died. I believe the drive gear has failed. I have removed the board and re lubed everything and removed the aluminum wedge key. Is it possible to remove the motor and shaft from the bracket and replace just the motor and shaft? How does the shaft come out of the bracket bearings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The motor and shaft must be carefully pressed or driven out of the bracket. I got mine out by using punch just smaller than the shaft and giving it four or five good whacks with a large hammer. The bushings are rusty but still usable. The brackets are cast aluminum and can break if your not careful.

Is there a place to get just the motor? Mine are slowing down, especially on the drivers side.

I have seen the Dorman motor, gear and shaft assembly on eBay.

If they are slowing down, it does not mean the motors are getting weak. The corrosion on hinges may be building up.
I had them on my 07 and hated them. They both were stuck in open position. For the cost of new motor, labor and aggravation, I got a pair of perfect fixed boards from another Eddie Bauer for $ 150 from a salvage yard, and the problem was solved for good.
I still have the old boards behind my house waiting to go on ebay :) without the motors or hinges.
I tried to fix them but like Trip said, the cast aluminium just breaks so easily, so after one of the hinges just broke, I abandon the idea of fixing them.

I may end up grabbing a fixed pair as well, mine started slowing down and sometimes just randomly going up and down on their own. For the past couple months, I have just left them fully retracted. They are a nice feature, but much like the motorized 3rd-row seats, don't seem particularly long lasting.

......exactly my thoughts.
On my son's 07 the power running boards went bad so I installed the fixed ones.
Just last week on my 06, the passenger side 3rd seat is down and dead....

Both things are super expensive to repair, they are nice as a sale pitch when the car is new on the dealer lot. After that, just a headache.

Yup, replacing those seat motors is a pain in the rear. I may try removing the boards and giving them a clean (found a thread here that detailed tearing them down and cleaning them) but I am not likely to buy replacements if they fail, will just swap to fixed ones.

I read somewhere that you need to spray them with the garage door lubricant every few months.........otherwise the just seize.
And here in NY/NJ with the winters, they sure will.

I am going to look at the design and see it I can drill and tap a grease-able zerk fitting in to the hinge.
Also I am going to have to track down new Brushes, My brushes are almost worn all the way down to the shaft

Newbie here:
Both of my boards are broken -just bought the truck -are they hard to remove completely?
Where would I get a fixed ones, a local junk yard?
I also live in NJ and the truck is from the North east.
Also what makes them retract, opening/closing the door?

They come off easy, i made a nice right up with photos.

Living in the Midwest, it doesn't take long for them to literally rot out. I bought my Mounty with both boards frozen. 2 years later, the passenger side collapsed (broke at both mounts) when my daughter stepped on it. The drivers side was soon removed and tossed in the scrap heap.

I bought some sheet metal gutter material at the home improvement store to paint, then mount using the existing hole from the original boards to hide the ugly ass frame and brake lines. Of course, I bought that stuff a year ago and it still sitting on the shelf in the garage.

If they are slowing down, it does not mean the motors are getting weak. The corrosion on hinges may be building up.
I had them on my 07 and hated them. They both were stuck in open position. For the cost of new motor, labor and aggravation, I got a pair of perfect fixed boards from another Eddie Bauer for $ 150 from a salvage yard, and the problem was solved for good.
I still have the old boards behind my house waiting to go on ebay :) without the motors or hinges.
I tried to fix them but like Trip said, the cast aluminium just breaks so easily, so after one of the hinges just broke, I abandon the idea of fixing them.
Curious? Do you still have them? I want to put them on my 2005 somehow

Back