Need Transmission Help

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi guys
I have a 2006 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6. Couple months ago my transmission started acting up. Sometimes I can put it in reverse or drive it just sits there then you can feel it go in gear. At stop signs or lights it will come out of gear and few seconds later you feel it go back in gear. The explorer has 260,000 miles on it. Do you guys think my transmission is bad? I have a friend that wrecked his explorer and he said I can have that transmission. How hard is it to take out and replace. I do all my own work. The engine is still running strong and the the body is in great shape no rust. Can you guys help me out?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys
I have a 2006 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6. Couple months ago my transmission started acting up. Sometimes I can put it in reverse or drive it just sits there then you can feel it go in gear. At stop signs or lights it will come out of gear and few seconds later you feel it go back in gear. The explorer has 260,000 miles on it. Do you guys think my transmission is bad? I have a friend that wrecked his explorer and he said I can have that transmission. How hard is it to take out and replace. I do all my own work. The engine is still running strong and the the body is in great shape no rust. Can you guys help me out?

Thank you
I know this is an elementary suggestion, but have you tried replacing the transmission fluid and filter. I've seen that work wonders for an aged transmission.

Beauboy

No I have not tried that yet?

How many miles on the tranny in the wrecked car?

The wrecked one has roughly 150,000 miles

My Ex has had constant transmission glitches since I've owned it so I've done a lot of research on these 5r55s transmissions. From what I've read, delayed engagement can be caused by a worn out valve body. When you change out your valve body you should also change out your solenoids. The job is incredibly easy and there are tutorial videos on YouTube by a guy that goes by Fordtechmakuloco, that guy makes repairs very easy to understand. But without a proper diagnosis you'd just be throwing money at it hoping it fixes the issue and you probably spend $250-$300 on a VB and solenoids and then another $70-$100 on fluid and filter.

If your buddy wasn't having any shifting issues I'd say swap out the tranny, with your friends being at almost 1/2 the miles of yours it's probably in better condition and worth the time and effort of swapping them out.

The sad thing is these transmissions break as early 80,000 miles in some cases (like mine) so it's hard to know how much time you'd get out of that used trans but as he'd just give it to you I still think it's worth trying.

We installed a completely remanuafctured transmission in my son's 07. It only has 10k miles on it now after 2 years, and occasionally when he puts it in R, it does nothing, but if he moves the lever 1/8 of an inch, it will engage.

I am thinking the MLPS is acting up.

Walt, Have you owned this truck since new? I would be thrilled if we could confirm that is the original motor and trans at that mileage.

Michael
I bought this Explorer from my mom. It’s the original motor and transmission in it. I am changing the fluid and filter this weekend to see if that takes care of the issue.

Thank you

Walt75 your Explorer is in a special class. That mileage especially on that transmission is incredible. Hope it's a cheap and easy fix. Rooting for you on the fluid change.May work especially if it's never been done. I think MANY on the forum would love to know how the vehicle was serviced (oil and trans) how it was driven(towing).:chug:

Hi Guys
Just wanted to let you guys know I be working on my explorer this week. I got a can of the sea foam transmission cleaner to also put in my transmission. I hope it fixes the problem. I will give you guys an update.

Thank you

subscribing for outcome that many miles is amazing! I have replaced 2 shoc engines. on my 97 at 98,000 miles and on my 03 at 170,000

Good evening Fellas, I hope this is the right place to post. Brand new member here.
I just picked up a used 2006 mercury Mountaineer V8. The vehicle has 104k Miles, no know accidents and no service history. The very first gear has a bit of a shudder rest seem ok. Went to the part store to buy a new filter and OEM transmission fluid Motorcaft SP).
As I began working I found out both the transmission lines are leaking at the cooler by the radiator. When I disconnected both cooler lines, the cooler inside the radiator moves all over the place. Is this normal behavior?
I'm letting everything drain overnight which includes the transmission pan as well as the radiator and tackle it again in the AM. I hope this is the right area to post and I look forward to your great feedback.
(Images Attached)

IMG_9914.JPG

IMG_9915.JPG

They wiggle around. The orings go bad.
Harbor freight has a o-ring kit. Just replace o-ring and u will be good.

Add the little bottle of friction modifier oil in to the trans. I think i used 9 quarts of oil.

Usually that shudder is a coil over plug or bad spark plug. Or cheap coils leak noise in to the wiring harnes that leads to the computer.

Or water gets in the back spark plug holes.

Read up on chaning these plugs. They break in the engine.

20181007_221326.jpg

Screenshot_20181007-223552_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thank you for the prompt reply. Should the trans. cooler in the radiator be complete loss?
I cant seem to get them back on. Will these work? Dorman 800-621 Transmission Line Connector
Would you recommend I do the whole radiator while I am there?

They wiggle around. The orings go bad.
Harbor freight has a o-ring kit. Just replace o-ring and u will be good.

Add the little bottle of friction modifier oil

View attachment 163410

You should be good with new orings,
I bought those Dorman800-621. Never used them.

FYI a radiator swap is a pain in the rump to change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, I will try again tomorrow -as of today I could not get the cooler inlets to line up to the connectors on the line.
They moved back and away from the openings. The trans. cooler in the rad. moves a whole lot.
Dont think much was done in the way of service on this truck.

You should be good with new orings,
I bought those Dorman800-621. Never used them.

FYI a radiator swap is a pain in the rump to change.

Back