Shut down issues when brake is applied? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shut down issues when brake is applied?

CGM CONSTRUCT LLC.

Reaction score
City, State
LUDLOW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited V8
Has anyone had any problems with lack of shut down when brake is applied?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone had any problems with lack of shut down when brake is applied?

When you say ' shut down' do you mean the initial bite of the brakes?
i was digging around on the forums and a few people notices that at one point the part # for the brakes changed and in that change the brake pad is smaller in surface area than the previous model and thus needs more force applied to brake.
others have stated that the entire system is just undersized for the vehicles, especially towing or hauling.
some fixes are to get EBC brake pads. i dont remember what color... i think it was yellow or green. if you dig around on here you could find it or someone else might know.

hope that helps

No,, the vehicle is still driving and motor is still turning RPM's I have to stand on the brakes and pop it into neutral to stop the vehicle.... won't shut down...

It happens random maybe once or twice every six months...

The throttle body was replaced by dealer about 5-6 years ago to fix issue Did not make a difference

No,, the vehicle is still driving and motor is still turning RPM's I have to stand on the brakes and pop it into neutral to stop the vehicle.... won't shut down...

It happens random maybe once or twice every six months...

The throttle body was replaced by dealer about 5-6 years ago to fix issue Did not make a difference

OHHH youre saying the engine is still acting like youre giving it gas. never had that happen but it sounds like throttle position sensor issue of some kind.

you can test the tps with a multi meter ( just google testing TPs with multi meter) or try cleaning your throttle body or visual inspecting the shielding of the wires going in to the TB for damage/ brittleness / cracking
(cheap and easy trouble shooting)

It COULD be that:
when the car is on/ engine off it works fine because there is no engine vibration etc
when the engine is on its causing vibration or intermittent / interference of the circuit. or a faulty TB/ wiring

sorry i cant be of more help and good luck!

OHHH youre saying the engine is still acting like youre giving it gas. never had that happen but it sounds like throttle position sensor issue of some kind.

you can test the tps with a multi meter ( just google testing TPs with multi meter) or try cleaning your throttle body or visual inspecting the shielding of the wires going in to the TB for damage/ brittleness / cracking
(cheap and easy trouble shooting)

It COULD be that:
when the car is on/ engine off it works fine because there is no engine vibration etc
when the engine is on its causing vibration or intermittent / interference of the circuit. or a faulty TB/ wiring

sorry i cant be of more help and good luck!

Thank You ill try that... Cheers

I have experienced something similar but may have mis-understand the OP's issue (for me shut down is when everything is turned off, but it may mean the throttle is not cutting out when the gas pedal is released in this case) :

for me it is almost as if someone is pressing the gas pedal when I take my foot off the gas pedal and press the brake pedal
- only happens in low speed manoeuvers (i.e. parking)
seen it on my 2001 sport trac, and now on 2007 sport trac.
The problem is so infrequent and random, that I have not figured it out.
Testing parts may show an issue, but being so infrequent - would it show?
Could be a software glitch

2007-10 Sport Tracs have electronic throttle control (drive-by-wire) 2001-05 use a mechanical throttle cable.

May want to look into this and other TSB's. Any check engine light or trouble codes?
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=143200

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

EDIT- Believe I confused the OP's term "shut down" as stalling. Sounds the opposite where it's not decelerating when braking, even after the throttle body was replaced 5-6 years ago. I'll delete this post if that's the case. Apologies.

" if someone is pressing the gas pedal when I take my foot off the gas pedal and press the brake pedal" This is what i get as well.... It is infrequent and random... very odd i have no idea what the cause is?? My ST is an 08 model

2007-10 Sport Tracs have electronic throttle control (drive-by-wire) 2001-05 use a mechanical throttle cable.

May want to look into this and other TSB's. Any check engine light or trouble codes?
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=143200

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

EDIT- Believe I confused the OP's term "shut down" as stalling. Sounds the opposite where it's not decelerating when braking, even after the throttle body was replaced 5-6 years ago. I'll delete this post if that's the case. Apologies.

I read the TSB, and OP has also replied the issue being foot lifted off gas pedal and brake pressed (with same foot), and it appears as if someone has pushed gas pedal to the floor < that is the bes I can describe what I experience.

The PCM and TCM was recently updated (I was playing with some setting and broke the communications between the two)

Not sure if the problem has gone away with re-flash since it was so infrequent, 2 times in the 4 months of '07 ownership....now that doesn't sound infrequent

It has not reared it ugly head in a while about 6 months,, or so I am always anticipating this action... another thing is it will burn tire with the brake applied to the floor not a good thing,,, better have a place to go to stop the vehicle.... pop neutral quick...

Back