Hearing rattle through shifter handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hearing rattle through shifter handle

scott.475

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4wd Explorer
In just the last month or two we have started to hear a rattle coming up through the shifter handle. It sounds to me as if the shift lever itself is vibrating against something, and if you just rest your hand on the know the rattle stops. I have not pulled out the lever yet, but is there some kind of bushing or something ounder the boot that might have worn through and is now causing the lever to rub against metal?

Also, I have read some of the threads on the disc brake problems (rotors warping) on the early '90s Xs. I had my wheels off yesterday looked at my rotors. Even without using a gauge I could see they were warped. Would replacing them with some of those 'run cooler' rotors with holes drilled in them help with this problem, or should I just stick with the most inexpensive rotors I can find and plan on replacing them often?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the brake rotors, the most bang for your buck is bendix or brembo OEM replacements.

Oh yeah....I'm about to revive an 16 year old thread.

I have the same rattle in my 2000s shifter. I had it a part and there is a plunger/cylinder with a cut out that looks like a flat tip screwdriver fits in. And no, it doesn't tighten, tried it. But that is what is rattling around. I also tried lube and folding some paper in between the space. Yet the noise continues.

Anyone fix this problem before?

tasco37 go to rock auto they have a kit to tighten up the shifter
roscoe
ps amazon has it too

Can you link it? I'm not sure if it's the cable or the whole assembly.

I don't know how to link it is just a kit of two plastic bushings and a shim and top rubber seal
roscoe

Back