Went through water after storms, won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Went through water after storms, won't start

mplspug

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Paul
Year, Model & Trim Level
MN
Here's the info and I hope someone can help verify some things and offer some trouble shooting help. I did a search and there are so many similar situations, but I thought if I explained mine it would be easier to provide more specific help for me.

I have a 92 explorer. Last Wednesday we had some strong storms role through and I got caught in it. Had I stayed home afterwards, I would probably still be driving it. I went through some big puddles on accident or because I had no choice. The water was very high and up to the doors at least. It still ran and I didn't notice any interruptions or issues with my electrical system that night.

The next day I went to start it and it clicked and may have turned over once or twice, but then the charge on the (dash) volt? gauge went to nothing. I tried jumping it a couple of times that day and the next. It wouldn't take a charge (no spark). Well there would be a spark or two if it had been sitting and we connected it, but not much and it would stop sparking completely. Since I went through water I have been concerned that something got wet and is shorting it.

Today we took the battery in and it was dead. So I got a new one and hooked it up. She started once and dies fairly quickly but then it ran. I attributed the first stall to not being run for a couple of days because it ran a little rough. The second time it smoothed out.

I then turned it off and went to start it and a couple of clicks was all the we got. We worked with the connections mostly from there with no luck. However the negative cable looks fairly bad and should be replaced. The connections could be replaced too. There was a sulfur smell the last time we tried turning it.

So any ideas where I should start? My fear is a short in the starter (we checked out the connections and they are good) and the electrical loop is just bad somewhere and not completing, thus draining the battery. Of course, I am far from knowledgeable on cars, so that may have made you snicker. The alternator is new enough to that I can rule that out. By the way, when we had it running with the new battery the gauge was normal.

So bearing in mind that I drove it though flooded streets easily up to the bottom of the engine block, that it drove fine until I shut it off over night, the battery is new, the POS cable is new but showing corrosion at the connection where it was crimped, the NEG cable looks poor, there was the smell of sulfur and the starter is fairly new too with no apparent bad connections, where do I start?

I hope that I explained myself thoroughly that I will get some good advice and other who experience the same lack of good decision making after a storm will be helped by this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the oil? Is there any water in the crankcase?
I hydrolocked mine and it started and ran fine for a while, but got worse and worse. When I checked the oil it was green and burnt. Mine was loosing pressure through the dipstick and oil pressure decreased with increased RPMs. Pull the air filter to check if it is intact. If it is still undamaged than you most likely did not damage the engine.

You will need to at least check and most likely change all the fluids, differential, transmission, engine oil and transfer case. If it is gen 1 than repack the front bearings.

The cables running to the starter are notorious for getting internally coroded to the point where they don't carry enought power to engage the starter. If the starter solenoid (on the starter itself) doesn't get enough amps it will not throw the switch and connect the battery cable to the starter... You could try piggy backing another wire onto the solenoid trigger post and then to the solenoid on the fender (the post that gets 12v only when key turned to start). If the starter fires up then your wires are toast.

BTW whenever running in deep water you need to check all the fluids and bearings as Unclemeat has indicated.

I'll check the fluids to be sure, but I don't think that is my main problem, think being the operative word. But I certainly would hate to fix what is wrong only to mess things up with water in the block.

We will probably start with replacing the negative cable and see what that does. Thanks for the tip on how to check it, we may by pass it at first, because the negative cable really looks bad. The positive cable was replaced not too long ago, but I think I may have to re-crimp a new terminal on to it. There is some corrosion in the exposed wires at the terminal.

Definitely agree with checking the air filter. I hydrolocked my engine, couldn't get it to start after running through deep water. Checked the air filter/hose, found water in there. Turning the key would not yield anything but what sounded like a cooking starter. (it wouldnt crank, just smelled and crackled) I took out a spark plug to relieve pressure, started it, and changed the fluids. Back to normal.

I was going to suggest that also. The main battery cable goes directly to the starter, and if the starter shorted, you'd get your symptoms. (don't laugh, it happened on my lawnmower)

Also, I might add, don't be surprised if the whole ordeal killed your alternator. Once you get it running, check to make sure the battery voltage is at least 14 v.

Craig if you only remove 1 spark plug you're leaving 5 in... As such any one of them could have easily bent a valve when trying to turn the engine over.. You have to remove ALL plugs to relieve the pressure to ensure no engine damage (luck was on your side that day). Also msplug indicated in his post he was able to get the engine running, but that it will no longer engage the starter... As such he has some electrical issue to work out..
Cdaddy78 said:
Definitely agree with checking the air filter. I hydrolocked my engine, couldn't get it to start after running through deep water. Checked the air filter/hose, found water in there. Turning the key would not yield anything but what sounded like a cooking starter. (it wouldnt crank, just smelled and crackled) I took out a spark plug to relieve pressure, started it, and changed the fluids. Back to normal.
mplspug said:
Today we took the battery in and it was dead. So I got a new one and hooked it up. She started once and dies fairly quickly but then it ran. I attributed the first stall to not being run for a couple of days because it ran a little rough. The second time it smoothed out.

Thanks for the help. It seems it was much less serious than previously thought. I should have added it is a 92 explorer. It was the positive terminal on my battery cable. It didn't look too bad from the outside, but when we cut off about an inch, we found an awful lot of corrusion inside the wire insulation. This at least the third time I have replaced or spliced a new one on and I have at least one new cable installed.

As for why it happened after the storm, the winds were so strong water may have pushed in through the seam of the hood or water from the puddles splashed onto my fan which the sprayed the terminals. Remeber capillary action from physics? Enough water must have made it underneath the insulation to cause enough currosion over night to drain my charge.

Thanks again.

I had that problem when I thought I was doing a good thing and custom made a positive cable on a '72 Gran Torino. From that point on, I made it a point to seal the ends of the isulation wit RTV or silicone sealer, if I don't have cables that are properly fatory sealed.

Silicone lined heat shrink tubing will seal the cables very nicely and if you can get some of those felt washers that go over the terminals they will kill most corrosion. You will know the top of your battery needs cleaning when you start getting voltage readings by touching a terminal and any place else on the top of your battery.

I have a 2002 Explorer and I ran through some water yesterday. Made it through and about 30 minutes later the vehicle died. I tried to start but wore down the battery. Went back 3 hours later and it started. I drove 5 miles and it died. Left vehicle over night and went back, Started right away no jump. Drove another 5 miles and died. Started up but continues to die.

What could it be?

Back