V8 swap thread discussion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap thread discussion

if you have the same year donor, going into the same year truck your swapping to, its a very strait forward swap (plug to plug, bolt to bolt ect.). your tac will more then likely be out, but in the v8 swap tread i did, it shows how to fix that. the only difference will be your ac, and oil sending.
as for a 408, if i am correct, that is based off a 351w block. there are some differences within the bock itself (taller, wider). the cam syc will be difference (302 is shorter so you would have figure out how to make one using different parts) the explorer lower intake will not fit (351w is wider at the top) and the oil pan will not fit (once again, wider, and the main crank cap at both front and back are bigger). lastly, the exhaust manifolds will need to be reworked.
im not saying its impossible, but it will be some work. i would love to see someone jam a 351w into a 2nd gen. i have thought about it, but wouldnt have the patience to figure out all the little problems you would have with it.
i have replaced the 302 with a 347 (it was in another members truck that i bought) and it was instant smiles everytime you'd smash the gas peddle down!
good luck and kept us posted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well...here we go again....I'm about to start my swap and find all this info most helpful....I have a 2001 sport and a 2001 explorer with a 5.0...my plan is to swap everything including computer wiring, transmission and transfer case.....THEN get stupid and try to shoehorn a 408 stroker in place of the 5.0...wish me luck.

Go for it, do the V8 swap first and enjoy that for a short while. There are a couple of people who have done most of the fabrication work to install a 351W, but they didn't quite finish theirs due to different issues. The pan modifications were the biggest part, besides the obvious exhaust manifold mess. Turdles old truck has a thread here from the last owner who got it close before reversing and selling the truck.

Thanks guys...and I do anticipate having some issues with fabrication of some parts...but thats what I do for fun now that I'm retired so this should be a good time....my thinking is since both vehicles are 2001, I'm hoping to just use the entire wiring harnesses and instruments out of the explorer into the sport along with computer and everything....Once the swap is done and bugs worked out on the V8...then the 408 will get dropped in....What headers did you fellows use for the swap...the stock explorer manifolds are not going to get it done...they are ugly...

torque monster headers went in with the motor. lucky for you that are being produced again. bob stop doing them for a few years, but is back doing them now.

I am doing this swap between 2000 explorer 5.0 and a 2003 sport trac. The sport trac has pats E and the explorer has pats B. I have the key halo and the transponder but have no clue how to wire this to work. Any input or help would be awesom.

Ok, just done a 5.0L swap and I have no speedometer. Any recommendations for this before I start digging? 1998 Engine and trans into a 2001 Sport.

James, Welcome back!!!!
I really hope this is your truck and that you are going to create a build thread.
I cant help much with the 5.0 swap stuff, but I may be able to help with the speedometer stuff if you need wiring diagrams.
The 98 V6's used a diff speed sensor and an AC signal went to ABS module, then it was changed to square wave and was sent to all other modules like the speedo.
I will look up the 2001 V8 and see what I can find out.

Maybe others will chime in before I get back home tonight?

James, Welcome back!!!!
I really hope this is your truck and that you are going to create a build thread.
I cant help much with the 5.0 swap stuff, but I may be able to help with the speedometer stuff if you need wiring diagrams.
The 98 V6's used a diff speed sensor and an AC signal went to ABS module, then it was changed to square wave and was sent to all other modules like the speedo.
I will look up the 2001 V8 and see what I can find out.

Maybe others will chime in before I get back home tonight?
Thanks. That'll work. 1998 v8 swapped into a 2001 sohc v6 chassis. I will highlight the build. Right now I am getting everything together for the AWD swap. I currently have everything except the rear driveshaft. I will install all new parts for ball joints, etc. If everything stays together I will install torque monster headers then a turbo.

Here are both the 1998 and 2001 VSS diagrams.
1998 first, 2001 second.
1998 VSS diagram.jpg
2001 VSS Diagram.jpg

Here are the connector pictures for C146.
Looks like circuit 679 is in the same place for both 1998 and 2001.
Make sure the connector 146 is fully seated.
If that is good, it might just be a coincidence and maybe the speed sensor in the diff failed? (they do crap out)

Again 1998 is top picture, bottom is 2001

1998 C146.jpg
2001 C146.jpg

I hope those diagrams help, thanks John. I was thinking of the PATS changes in 01 Sports and Sport Tracs, something might have altered the VSS circuit path after those mid year changes.

Thanks 4.slow for the diagrams. I assume both of these are for the 5.0L explorers? Would you happen to have one for the v6? I had a family emergency (the reason why I was absent a couple of days). I am going to subscribe to Mitchell1 to see what is going on (E-service manual). Just wanted to see if someone ran across this previously so I don't reinvent the wheel. Keep in mind the v6 models receive the speedometer signal from the transmission output shaft (hence the ability to change information regarding tire size & gear ratio) and the V8 receives the signal from the ABS module. So...Does the input still come into the same place? I would assume not but won't know till I get a full schematic in front of me. The saga continues. I will check the ABS pick up but assume it is working because I don't have an ABS light on. I guess I will get on a gravel road and see if it works. Thanks everyone for the help.

I thought the V6 and V8 would be different too, but when I look on the ford website it doesn't differentiate between the two.
It is possible that there is a typo or something on the Ford website but I don't know?

If both the ford wiring diagrams are correct, and you have no ABS light on....
And if the transmission shifts fine, and the speed control works, but the speedometer doesn't then that would be a problem with circuit 679 and probably to the left of connector 146 in the top diagram I posted.
Also with out a speed input to the Gem module, after one launch the 4wd may become non working.

In 1998 under explorer, there is only one page in the diagrams too.
It is possible that 1997 used a transmission tail shaft sensor, but my 1998 doesn't have one.
Let me know if there is anything I could look up to help?

Here is the 1997 diagram if it helps, they still don't specify engine size for the speedometer.

1997 vss diagram 1.jpg

If both the ford wiring diagrams are correct, and you have no ABS light on....
And if the transmission shifts fine, and the speed control works, but the speedometer doesn't then that would be a problem with circuit 679 and probably to the left of connector 146 in the top diagram I posted.
Also with out a speed input to the Gem module, after one launch the 4wd may become non working.

In 1998 under explorer, there is only one page in the diagrams too.
It is possible that 1997 used a transmission tail shaft sensor, but my 1998 doesn't have one.
Let me know if there is anything I could look up to help?
I datalogged the vehicle last night. Unit shifts fine, I am actually getting the commanded and desired shifts 1-4 and lock up. The vehicle speed shows 0 all the time. As far as this diagram- I believe everything I have to the #1 connector is fine. I agree that circuit 679 is the culprit an it appears that the AC signal supplying that connector is in question. So it appears we need engine controls diagram to nail this down. I have a little time tonight and am going to dig into this. Also being that at this moment I don't have a connector location where/what is connector 146? I suspect that is the one the v8 harness will connect to the chassis harness. Square looking with big wires at each corner. I need to find a gravel road to test my abs, I really don't want to flat spot my new tires to find out that my abs doesn't work. Now from what I understand NONE of the V8 transmissions used a tail shaft sensor. I looked at around 10 of these babies in the junk yard and they all were the same no OSS. There is an intermediate/turbine shaft sensor but no OSS (output shaft sensor).I will figure this out. I am purchasing the documentation today.

I believe I just found it. I purchased a manual from Mitchell 1 diy and it appears the rear axle speed sensor supplies a signal (as we all knew) to the 4WABs module on pins 21 & 22. Then pin 19 (gry/blk) supplies a signal to connector 679 (pcm connector) pin 58 which is VSS. From there it splits off and goes into the dash. I have checked the wiring multiple times and still a no go. Everything wiring checks out properly now. Interestingly enough pin 19 was supposed to be a gry/blk and mine is black. I cut the wire (not knowing where the other end went-didn't go to the dash) and jumped it to the gry/black. Now I have everything checking properly-to the pcm and to the bulkhead connector on the firewall. I guess I will pull the cluster out and verify it is all well there too. So my question is I wander if my ABS module is different and isn't speaking to the other system properly (maybe v6 and v8 are different). I found a dirt road and the ABS is working properly. I see no speedo on the dash or in the datalogger. So that tells me I am not receiving a signal from the ABS module pin 19. Wander if that part of the circuit is bad?

OK-after doing some digging it appears the v6 and v8 abs modules are different. Back to Pull-A-Part I go.

I thought C146 was going to be that engine harness connector that is square and on top of the engine (circled in blue).
Turns out that C146 is actually on the firewall (bulkhead) (red arrow).

C146 location.jpg
C146.jpg

Ok-got the speedo figured out now I have created a new problem. Speedometer works. Tied pin 19 of the abs into pin 58 on the ecu and installed an abs module from a 98 into my Explorer Sport. Now I show speed on the dash and in the processor while datalogging. At the same time I now I have an abs light on. It appears that my vehicle doesn't have an acceleration sensor (supposedly located underneath the frame rail underneath the drivers seat) and I am now curious as to whether it will communicate with the gem module located inside the dash. So again I will be headed to pull a part. The interesting thing is that I had an entire donor vehicle I just had to get out of my yard. I guess I jumped the gun on that one. Has anyone ever heard of an acceleration sensor? It will have 3 wires (orange/blk, orange/wht and yellow) in it. I clearly do not have one on this 2001!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The G-sensor seems to be connected to the ABS system. I think you've got a different combination of swap parts and the base vehicle, from other swaps mentioned on the forum here.

The G-sensor is near the fuel filter, not far behind it, easily seen but I'm not sure I have a picture of it.

Back