• Register Today It's free!

Transmission failure sos

drakeguy22

Reaction score
City, State
Lyons Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hey all, found myself pushing my explorer off of the road yesterday morning... I need some serious help and advice. Housing on the side of the transmission broke. C-clip was rusted and had lots of corrosion around the break. Anyways I need to know how to solve this problem without replacing the transmission right now. I have the explorer on a lift right now. Jbweld???

20181016_071816.jpg

20181016_081647.jpg

20181016_123325.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drakeguy. I see no way to fix the case. Broke right at the snap ring grove. Maybe a real good aluminum welder but still a gamble.

Yeah I agree. Jbweld was a no go. But I came up with this to buy me some time....

20181017_194338.jpg

So far so good. Only driven about 15 miles like that. But starting it up and shifting through the gears on the lift it didn't move at all and nothing is leaking...

American Ingenuity at it's finest Sir!.

Just don't let a member called Cober see it...

Haha thanks! I'm not saying it's right or proper but it works and it can buy me some time save some money and fix it properly.

Haha thanks! I'm not saying it's right or proper but it works and it can buy me some time save some money and fix it properly.

No Cool...

I like it.

Really good idea to get you by for a while.

You case is probably smoked anyway.

Yeah there's no fixing it. Just what I have done now. But hell.... maybe it'll last longer than I think haha

Transmissions are expensive...

^^^ That's a great idea and solution! I'm betting it will last longer than you think it will.

Ain't no solution more permanent than a temporary solution that works!

I'm actually jealous. I'd just be up sh!ts creek if this happened to me.

The engineering science part of me just says: That broke in a spot that you can't fix in any way...

But you what with your fabricobblin' skills managed to piece together something of beauty to make it work!

Do you by chance watch Ave on youtube?

This was not an easy thing to come up with... the first thing I came up with was a ratchet strap and a block hahaha. And then I said "you cant leave that there..." so then my gfs father and I came up with this. It only took all day ha. It does make me a little uneasy knowing that it could fail at any moment but part of me also says "yolo"
No Joe, I do not should I check it out???

20181017_173549.jpg

Lmao! I almost posted something about using flex seal! Hahahaha

Drake you are someone I would want in a pinch. Hope it gives you time to decide what to do. NICE JOB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back