• Register Today It's free!

P2135 and P2106 together

Reklaw

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Rock, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLS
2004 Ford Explorer XLS v6 4.0. Driving down the highway this afternoon from work I notice the wrench light came on but that's it. I was planning on stopping at a convenience store for dinner so I stopped and hooked up my code reader and got these codes showing as pending.
Got my food, started the Explorer up and heading down the highway, set the cruise and driving along and then the check engine light comes on and cruise shuts off. Still no limp mode or noticeable loss of power though. Just double checked the codes to make sure there weren't any new ones and just the P2135 and P2106 both confirmed now.

I know I need to check the throttle body and see how dirty that is and probably clean as I never have. I'm guessing I should also inspect the harmonic balance to see if there are any issues with that. It's dark and cold here in Pennsylvania so I haven't even looked under the hood yet tonight so see if anything came unhooked or anything. I will do that also. I do have a noisy front wheel bearing that I already plan on replacing tomorrow morning as I just got the new one in the mail today. I know this shouldn't be related but thought I would just throw that out there.

My code reader software is showing a frequently reported fix for the P2106 is replacing the differential speed sensor. I believe my rear diff has gotten noisier lately but what does anyone thing of this?
Also, what do you guys think of getting these 2 codes together and no actual operating issues other than the loss of cruise control?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before anyone asks, 162k on the odometer. Tranny was replaced last summer.

My rear differential has also gotten noisy as of lately.... 167k on it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay to replace the transmission???

My rear differential has also gotten noisy as of lately.... 167k on it. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay to replace the transmission???

I have a good transmission shop locally that rebuilds transmissions with the best parts. I paid about $3100. Best part is that I didn't have to wait for my transmission to be machined because they do so many Explorers that they had one ready to go. Because they rebuild themselves they give a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. My transmission actually stopped shifting into 4th and 5th gears while I was in Tennessee and I stopped at a shop there and they were going to put a Jasper in for $4k with a 3 year/100k mile warranty.

@Reklaw "what do you guys think of getting these 2 codes together and no actual operating issues other than the loss of cruise control?"
I, too, have a 2004. Got both those codes after the wrench lit up. P2106 is Limp Mode, "Forced Limited Power. P2135 is trouble with the Throttle Position Sensor outputs. Historically, Ford didn't want their "Drive by Wires" running away WOT like a few Japanese models did, early 2000s. Folks got injured. Ford devised a double-resistance TPS in which two voltage signals of opposite polarity are created; those voltages MUST be equal in value, or PCM shuts you down.

I wound up replacing the entire TB which came with a new TPS. Try replacing the TPS first, if you like. I believe it doubtful the diff speed sensor is causing this, as the ABS light would be illuminated.

BTW, the wrench preceding P2106 locks out speed control and all 4X4 function. Good luck! imp

@Reklaw "what do you guys think of getting these 2 codes together and no actual operating issues other than the loss of cruise control?"
I, too, have a 2004. Got both those codes after the wrench lit up. P2106 is Limp Mode, "Forced Limited Power. P2135 is trouble with the Throttle Position Sensor outputs. Historically, Ford didn't want their "Drive by Wires" running away WOT like a few Japanese models did, early 2000s. Folks got injured. Ford devised a double-resistance TPS in which two voltage signals of opposite polarity are created; those voltages MUST be equal in value, or PCM shuts you down.

I wound up replacing the entire TB which came with a new TPS. Try replacing the TPS first, if you like. I believe it doubtful the diff speed sensor is causing this, as the ABS light would be illuminated.

BTW, the wrench preceding P2106 locks out speed control and all 4X4 function. Good luck! imp

imp, I wanted to give an update. A week later and I haven't done anything about this yet. I cleared the codes and they haven't come back. Had the wrench come on once last Friday but that was it. I'm gonna keep an eye on it knowing that I will probably need to buy the new TB. I don't want to spend the money on just the TPS because it appears as all the new TB's come with a new sensor also.

Back