Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

Yes, they drove the car so much trying to duplicate the issue that they emptied the tank then tried to charge me. They are keeping the car because Ford has authorized full diagnostic testing. We will see the outcome.
In reality, every time the vehicle is taken for a test drive the owner is paying for the gas that is used. The only difference here is that the tank was near empty and you would have had to pay to fill it anyway. In this case I would think it is a legitimate expense. I wonder if the full diagnostic testing is being done in conjunction with Ford's testing?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem. First time I took it in, they ordered a control panel. After it came in they replaced the panel, but still have the problem. After they kept it for two days, they realized there was a service bulletin on it. I am keeping an eye out for a fix. Still intermittent Sirius service.

I have the same problem. First time I took it in, they ordered a control panel. After it came in they replaced the panel, but still have the problem. After they kept it for two days, they realized there was a service bulletin on it. I am keeping an eye out for a fix. Still intermittent Sirius service.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Well, I did take it to the dealer again, just so they can confirm that this is happening. It was actually acquiring the signal while I was there. They ran some tests on it, and the antenna/module failed. They ordered a new one, replaced it on Monday, and I have not had a single intermittent signal since. Granted it's only been two days, but I can't tell you the last time I've gone two days without an intermittent signal. I listen to talk radio quite a bit, so this is a huge improvement. Fingers crossed that this was the fix.

Don't forget that many members drove their new Explorer for a week or two before the failure occurred. Good luck.

Peter

I have a new 2018 Ex Plat with 200 miles on it. The SiriusXM radio works...sometimes. I am often left without anything as the radio displays "Acquiring Satellite Signal", often after I have been listening for a while.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem?
Did you ever get it fixed? I had a 2017 Explorer XLT with no issues ... just got a 2018 Explorer XLT and almost a clone to the 2017 and having same that you have/had .... Sirius says it’s an antenna or software issue

Did you ever get it fixed? I had a 2017 Explorer XLT with no issues ... just got a 2018 Explorer XLT and almost a clone to the 2017 and having same that you have/had .... Sirius says it’s an antenna or software issue
If you read the posts you will find the reason for the issue and the fix for it. Hint; there isn't one right now. This has been mentioned several times.

Peter

New to the forum and just chiming in on this topic. New 2018 Explorer Sport bought this last May. No problem with Sirius till this week, then started to get the nonstop “acquiring satellite signal”. I did two resets. No joy. Called Sirius and their reset did not help either. I guess it’s off to the dealer this week. The 2007 Explorer I traded in had no problems with Sirius for 11 years!

New to the forum and just chiming in on this topic. New 2018 Explorer Sport bought this last May. No problem with Sirius till this week, then started to get the nonstop “acquiring satellite signal”. I did two resets. No joy. Called Sirius and their reset did not help either. I guess it’s off to the dealer this week. The 2007 Explorer I traded in had no problems with Sirius for 11 years!
If you check the previous posts you will find that there is no use in calling Sirius or visiting the dealer except to have them record your issue. Post #130. This is a known issue and Ford is working on a resolution for it. They have been for quite a while now so don't hold your breath.

Peter

UPDATE: I made my first post on this topic 5 hours ago. I’ve been on the road the last 3 hours. Half way through there was a notice about Sirius doing an update. Soon after I started to get a broken signal then a good signal. Makes it sound like a Sirius problem, eh? On the road back home tomorrow so I’ll see if it holds

UPDATE: I made my first post on this topic 5 hours ago. I’ve been on the road the last 3 hours. Half way through there was a notice about Sirius doing an update. Soon after I started to get a broken signal then a good signal. Makes it sound like a Sirius problem, eh? On the road back home tomorrow so I’ll see if it holds
You'll find that Sirius updates on a regular basis. Usually it is to update their channel programming. Doubtful it has nothing to do with fixing the issue which is the antenna configuration. Don't forget you didn't have any issues from May until recently. That is the common point. The 2018 owners here didn't have any issues until weeks or months after getting their Explorers. Just going by what Ford reported in that it is an antenna issue. Please keep us updated.

Peter

Just got my 2018 Explorer Limited a week ago and almost instantly started noticing the satellite radio dropping with the acquiring signal message. I am more than upset that this has been a problem for a long time now and Ford still doesn’t have a fix. I expect more than that from Ford! Now I guess I wait (like I have a choice). I hope for all of us out there something is done soon! I will keep a eye out here for any updates.

Just got my 2018 Explorer Limited a week ago and almost instantly started noticing the satellite radio dropping with the acquiring signal message. I am more than upset that this has been a problem for a long time now and Ford still doesn’t have a fix. I expect more than that from Ford! Now I guess I wait (like I have a choice). I hope for all of us out there something is done soon! I will keep a eye out here for any updates.
This is the place you will likely hear about it first.

Peter

Getting a run around all around. Bought a 2018 Explorer XLT and have issues with Acquiring Signal ... contacted dealer bought at and warranty guy took two days to tell me no issues with Ford ... even though saw on this forum ... went to my local Ford dealer and he stated there are issues and Ford is working on it and to check in from time to time and see if they have a solution??? Re-contacted the dealer bought from and they stated bring it in ... well I did and guess what??? Same bull line as the local dealer and tell me to call from time to time. Total run around. Contacted a Ford rep hat covers my area and she stated unless it in the shop she can not help??? Calling her back a few times she does not call me back ... asking her for a person above her to speak to. Will see??!!

Keep us posted! Good luck

... went to my local Ford dealer and he stated there are issues and Ford is working on it and to check in from time to time and see if they have a solution???.........
That was the correct response. I'd stick with that dealer.

Peter

I just spent some time researching the 18 Explorer with SYNC Connect as this issue is only present in 18 and up units with SYNC connect.

Ford refers to the vehicle having two different roof mount antennas available: one without WiFi and one with WiFi. WiFi is only available with SYNC Connect on the 18 and up.

I don't know if Ford is just using simple terms in their service manual for identifying the difference in the two antennas or if they made a mistake but the antenna should not have any WiFi antenna in it. The SYNC Connect modem (called a TCU) has a built in a WiFi antenna and it is not external. I researched the TCU in the FCC database to determine this. I have even seen Ford literature that states WiFi has up to a 50 foot range due to the external antenna they use....makes me wonder.

The unit does use two LTE/WCDMA antennas in a Main/Diversity setup and the Main antenna is the one routed to the roof top antenna that also contains Sirius. So either Ford put a WiFi antenna in it and is wrongly running cell signal through it (which I hope not) or the correct LTE/WCDMA antenna in it is wiping out the Sirius satellite signal. Either way, Sirius satellite signal is being messed with.

Just wanted to give some background on the possible issue.

I just spent some time researching the 18 Explorer with SYNC Connect as this issue is only present in 18 and up units with SYNC connect.

Ford refers to the vehicle having two different roof mount antennas available: one without WiFi and one with WiFi. WiFi is only available with SYNC Connect on the 18 and up.

I don't know if Ford is just using simple terms in their service manual for identifying the difference in the two antennas or if they made a mistake but the antenna should not have any WiFi antenna in it. The SYNC Connect modem (called a TCU) has a built in a WiFi antenna and it is not external. I researched the TCU in the FCC database to determine this. I have even seen Ford literature that states WiFi has up to a 50 foot range due to the external antenna they use....makes me wonder.

The unit does use two LTE/WCDMA antennas in a Main/Diversity setup and the Main antenna is the one routed to the roof top antenna that also contains Sirius. So either Ford put a WiFi antenna in it and is wrongly running cell signal through it (which I hope not) or the correct LTE/WCDMA antenna in it is wiping out the Sirius satellite signal. Either way, Sirius satellite signal is being messed with.

Just wanted to give some background on the possible issue.
Having fooled with electronics and such I was thinking also along the lines of what you have stated. I unscrewed the secondary antenna from the shark fin on the roof and still nothing. I am not n limbo like everyone .. two Ford dealerships and the Ford Rep are saying the same thing. “Check in from time to time and see if Ford has a solution??? Another words I have to contact them rather then THEY contact me??? AND all three stated the same thing. Just a little suspicious of that alone. I own a 2008 Mustang that took three years to get the airbag situation fixed. NOT waiting for this that long. Asked me he Rep if there was someone higher then her that I could contact and of coarse she said “no”. There must be hundreds of people with 2018 Explorers out there with this problem. IF not thousands. Time with tell I guess. OR Ford does not want to face the solution and expense it will cost them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that the 'fix' when it comes out, will be in the form of a TSB. If so, then it would seem to be correct that the owner contacts the dealer if they have an issue since issues governed by a TSB don't always affect every vehicle. Only on 'Recalls' (safety related issues) does Ford contact the owners of affected vehicles. Likely a 'logistics' tracking issue.

Peter

Back