• Register Today It's free!

Wondering what causes it

Katisha

Reaction score
City, State
Marble Hill GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explore
So my 2000 explorer is smoking like crazy. But not overheating, it’s also burning through 2.5 quarts of oil a week, at least. I’m learning so any ideas of what’s causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s more oil than my 73 Vega burned! Wow.

Have you looked at your spark plugs?

What engine do you have? Either way, valve stem oil seals should be checked first, as they are easy to get to. Make sure your PCV valve is in good working order. I have seen in cases of high oil consumption and lots of oil smoke out the tail pipe that sludge on the upper end of the engine (cyl. heads) restricts or totally blocks oil flow back to the crankcase, and thus finds it's way to the valve stem oil seals where it leaks past the valve and valve guide into not only the exhaust ports, but into the intake port and then into the combustion chamber. I dont know how many miles your engine has, or it's maintenance history either, you may or may not have sludge on the cyl heads, but infrequent oil changes and short trips without letting the engine warm up are large contributors to sludge build up, but mostly infrequent oil changes is the biggest contributor.
So, what engine do you have?
How many miles?
What is the maintenance history of the vehicle?
Do you work on your car yourself or pay a mechanic?

How many miles? And is it smoking from the engine area or out the tailpipe?

If you checked your plugs, you might find out which cylinders, (or whether all cylinders), are affected. Might give you a starting point.

take a compression check if all cyls low time for rebuild
roscoe

Back