2002, 4.0 V6, 5spd., 4WD, 3.55 axle, came with Class II hitch package...upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002, 4.0 V6, 5spd., 4WD, 3.55 axle, came with Class II hitch package...upgrade?

I installed an aftermarket Class III hitch, nothing else.

I'm considering a boat purchase but the trailering weight of boat, engine and trailer is going to be around 5300.

Will be trailering less than 15 miles one way, no big hills, maybe twice a week.

At the very least i assume I will need a tranny cooler but...do I need a bigger truck?

1434744792-boat.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes a trans cooler is the ticket
I would just go to the scrap yard and get the cooler off another truck brackets hardware and lines / hoses

The only difference between the 3500# rating of the Class II and the 5500# of the Class III is the tranny cooler?

Still trying to figure this out but have realized I will need a smaller boat. If I put in a tranny cooler will the 3.55 rear allow me to tow up to 5000 lbs. with the aftermarket hitch?

I will only be towing about 20 miles each time to the boat ramp and back.

Your drivetrain can only handle 3500 lbs. With the 5000 lbs hitch, your drivetrain can still only handle 3500 lbs.
With additional trans cooling, your drivetrain can still only handle 3500 lbs.

If you were trying to tow 4000 lbs, I'd say that same thing publically, but (wink-wink) you'd be fine.
But 5300 lbs, behind a 3500 lbs drivetrain?? Twice a week = regular use.
Get more truck.

I would like to replace the OEM Class 2 hitch with a Class 3, but all that I have been finding bolt on, under the OEM hitch. is that my only option or can I get one that replaces it.

donalds, that's just another bolt-on hitch. He already knows about those.

stroller,
3rd and 4th gen Explorers have the hitch built into the bumper, as an integral part of the truck's frame. 4th gen (2006-2010) are welded in place, so not practical to actually swap out. However, your 3rd gen is bolted in place (though still behind the bumper). I'm not positive, but if you want to swap that out, it may be a dealer-only item.

The stock hitch is the easiest way to tell what tow rating the Explorer has, because the Class III/IV hitch only came with the HD towing package. So, if you swap out the hitch, you should do future owner's a solid, and be honest about it if/when you sell the vehicle. Don't let someone buy your Class 2 truck, thinking it can handle Class III/IV towing duty.

How about if he got the transmission cooler, and installed 4.10s. I'm trying to remember What other upgrades come with the factory trailer package.

Back